Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Turning tides
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As Mentira landed everyone felt a moment of relief. At least that is what Ivan hoped for. Landing is something pleasurable, especially when your hold is full of gold ore you just snagged from Dublin. The Gran Canaria storage bays he rented always greeted him with pleasure. Simple commands, smiled host and secure storage tanks where gold gets dropped off and waits for TaZ to pick it up.

Ivan had two things to do. It was fifth day, and paycheck is always on the fifth. And he needed to call Doc to haul off the gold and give a physical to his newest recruit. Medics at Crete always give two thumbs up, but after three jump holes towards Dublin the private deck is always full of sick young kids eager to go on a plunder.
Four of them didn't make it this week. One of them died before they even jumped to 47.

Scratching his head, Ivan entered his neutral net ID, courtesy of the Junkers, and begun to transfer the payments. How the f*uck does a kid get admitted to a plunder ship with severe allergies on the neutron star radiations.. He had no time to think about it. They have already landed.

As he let the crew go for a night, Ivan headed into the storage box to coordinate the dropoff. Workers unloaded the goods as he walked past them into the small office within the box, Eager to make the phone call and secure himself another 30 million credits. But he didn't get there, actually...
"Ivan, I presume?" Two figures stood near the door the small office, clad in power armor polished to a near-mirror sheen. The closer of the two continued without awaiting a response. "My name is Captain Miles Harker, commander of Alpha Battery, 2nd Marine Division, or... Revenant's Fist."

He paused a moment to remove his helmet, revealing dirty brown hair and a pleasant smile. His eyes betrayed a hint of malice. "Today I represent the interests of my commanders in the Phantom Empire. I have a proposition for you. I suggest you hear me out." He tucked the helmet under his elbow before continuing. "If you're interested...?" The Marine said motioning toward the door of the office.
Ivan paused for a moment, his hand was slowly reaching for back of his long coat but he didn't get to live this far without knowing when to draw the weapon, and when to stay cool. He closed the doors and leaned on them, folding his arms across his chest.

"I don't respond well to intrusion Harker. But then again ::he paused looking at his second, before looking back at Harker::, I don't think I have the choice. Speak up, I'll listen."
"I apologize for the inconvenience," Harker said as he placed his helmet on the desk, "but the offer should be most intriguing. As I said, I represent the interests of the Phantom Empire in this matter. And the fact is..."

He paused a moment to pull a sheet of paper from one of the compartment in his suit. He held up so he could read it for a moment and, upon confirming it was the sheet he was looking for he handed it over to Ivan. "We would like to recruit you... And perhaps your crew. We are in need of someone with your unique... talents. We can offer you much, and all we ask in return is your loyalty."

Printed on the sheet were a few instructions on how to contact the Empire should he choose to accept the offer. The marine Captain gave Ivan a few moments to digest the information.
::he took the paper with a frown. It didn't seem he enjoys reading documents::
- I have sworn to protect the Corsair Empire. How can a piece of paper convince me to leave that?
::although he said those words, he was still reading the entire thing carefully, glancing at Harker from moment to moment::
- Sure the Elders are fat because of their greed. And lack will to move from where we were 80 years ago..
-Why do you need me out of a sudden? Did the old fart Gentle finally kick it and you need a Corsair to fill the quota?
' Wrote:::he took the paper with a frown. It didn't seem he enjoys reading documents::
- I have sworn to protect the Corsair Empire. How can a piece of paper convince me to leave that?
::although he said those words, he was still reading the entire thing carefully, glancing at Harker from moment to moment::
- Sure the Elders are fat because of their greed. And lack will to move from where we were 80 years ago..
-Why do you need me out of a sudden? Did the old fart Gentle finally kick it and you need a Corsair to fill the quota?

"Gentle is... Hm. We need to advance our plans. Command has decided it's time to ... increase our capability for cargo-interdiction and economic disruption. We understand you are an ace in that regard. That is why we are here."

Harker smiled warmly, "I understand you are a true patriot, a man of his people... Disgusted by corruption and inability. Our values align, though our reputation naturally relates us as being nothing more than murderers and sociopaths on the hunt for the next kill... I assure you that we are much more than that; if you would be willing ignore the rumors for a moment, I could explain our burning desire to release humanity from the grasp of the corrupt and inept politicians--in Liberty, or on Crete. I'm sure you understand that sacrifices have had to be made the cruelties we much inflict, but it is a price worth paying for what we strive.."

He paused a moment to take a breath and collect his thoughts before continuing. "As for your ... Elders and the Corsairs, their time will come... Their time will come.

"So now we circle back around to you... Do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"
::Ivan snorted as the man asked the question::
- I don't think you would have met me if you didn't know that one Harker. I'll hear your leaders out, and see what do they have to offer. You'll fly back with me, so I can skin someone alive if this is a trap.

::he unleaned from the doors to open them and let the armoured men go out first::