Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Stranger in a Strange Land
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"This is going rather well, wouldn't you say, Cougar?" he quipped as another missile exploded off the port quarter of his Eagle. His wingman's only reply, a grunt. Hmmm. No sarcasm. He *was* worried.
No surprise, really. What should have been a rout.... Well, it *is* a rout, only frackin' problem is we're just on the wrong end of it. We really made a dog's dinner of this whole op.....

Now, the Cobalt Squadron, a force against piracy and terrorism in the Sirius sector, was scattered and broken. What looked like a suicide attack on their home system by Cheech and Chong, two of the most infamous pirates in the sector, turned out to be an unforeseen coalition between the most savage terrorist & pirate clans, ten in all. All of them slighted at one time or another by the group of Freelancers that had banded together to protect lawful vessels from all manner of threats. Suffice to say, scattered though they were, it was not likely any of them would escape; they appeared to have all the jump-holes out of Chugoku covered.

-ka-BOOOM- His ship shook. That one was off of his starboard bow. Their aim is crap but sooner or later that won't matter. They'll have us pinned in good if this keeps up. The mop up wouldn't take long. He and Cobalt Cougar were alone. Maybe some of the other survivors would be able to rally themselves. Most of their forces appeared to be focused on them. In any case, none of that would save them even if there were a way to know.

Then he spotted something just ahead of them. It looked like a jump hole. But...... there are no jump holes in this part of the system. If it was a hole.....
"Cougar, I'm picking up what looks to be a new jump hole. What do you think?" He asked.
"No telling what will happen but it's the best chance we have to regroup. Let's make for it."
"Copy that."
Unstable though it may be, the dangers presented by this new jump hole were more attractive than the certainty of being overwhelmed by the mass of pirates & terrorists encircling them.

With that they dove in, and all went black-

-Seconds, minutes, days? Time stretched, a rubber band pulled, then held at its limit. And then as if someone let go of it-

-Cobalt Antelope's head snapped forward, then back. Everything was bleach white, then faded through a kaleidoscope of colors. His ears were ringing and his head was spinning....... no... his ship.... his ship was turning sideways and end over end. Fighting his ship to stillness, he turned his attention roughly in the direction he had come. The jumphole must have been unstable, exploding after they passed through it. There was no trace of it or.....

He glanced at his instruments. There was no sign of Cobalt Cougar. No. He was just somewhere else in the system or maybe still in Chugoku.
"Cobalt Cougar, do you read me?" No answer.

He checked his long range scanners. No sign of Cougar's fighter. Stranger though, his instruments were picking up a shipyard that didn't appear to be on record. And..... *what?!* The system wasn't on record either? Before there was any time to make sense of it, he picked up five vessels on an intercept course with his position. I'm in no condition for a fight, he thought as he feverishly plotted a course for a jump hole in the distance.

"Halt! Unidentified Gaijin vessel, you are deep in Blood Dragon territory. We tolerate gaijin too often as it is, but testing new weapons this far into our territory? Prepare to be destroyed."

Blood Dragons? -whew- What a relief, allies! "I read you, Blood Dragon vessels, please stand down, what weapon testing are you talking about? This is Cobalt Antelope from the Cobalt Squadron. I appear to be lost, could you tell me, what system is this?"

"Is this some kind of trick or are you just an idiot? Not only does everyone knows Tau 63 is ours. And you have either passed through Chugoku to get here or you came from GC territory. Neither option pleases us, you filthy gaijin. Flying without an ID AND Nomad weaponry would be suspicious enough even if you weren't in this system testing new weapons. We're done talking. Engaging gaijin vessel."

His mind raced. What? ID? Weapons testing? Maybe the emanations from the jump hole explosion -wait!- They don't know us? Tau 63?! There was no such system. What the-? And where is Cobalt Cougar?

Survive first, and then find the answers. They have to be out here somewhere, he thought as he dove through the jump hole.

He hoped.
+++ Cobalt Squadron Command Log #1, 817 A.S. +++

Currently in Sigma 13, en route to Freeport 9 in Omicron Theta. Maintaining a copy of the Squadron's Command Log; as one of the founders and the only known surviving member of the squadron, this task falls onto me.

Have been on the run with nary a chance for rest. After escaping through the jump-hole that dumped my vessel out in the Chugoku system, initial encounters with the law in Kusari space have revealed that the load-out on my vessel is considered illegal contraband, prompting any who scan my ship to demand confiscation and/or destruction of my weaponry.
I have complied with none of these requests and have, thus far, managed to escape without having to destroy any lawful vessels.
Some encounters were particularly hairy, with accusations that I was "infested".

Troubling. Have the Nomads begun venturing further into human territory again?

Mysteriously, there also seems to be a new universal ID system, which has only complicated things when my vessel is scanned by the authorities. Avoiding any encounters with other ships until I can get to Omicron Theta would seem to be the best course of action.

[Personal note: None of this makes any sense; When I flew to Chugoku a few days before the battle, there were no laws concerning ship load-outs or any kind of ID. Unfortunately, the Neural Net has been inaccessible for consultation on this matter due to damage suffered to my ship during passage through the unstable jump-hole. Answers should be forthcoming, pending repairs to my ship.]

+++ End of Log #1 +++
+++ Cobalt Squadron Command Log #2, 817 A.S. +++

Currently docked at Freeport 9 in Omicron Theta. Repairs have been completed and private access to the Neural Net has been restored. An automatic update to the ship's map of the Sector has revealed many glaring discrepancies and a few impossibilities. For starters, entire stations and *systems* that weren't on the map a few days ago..... Had to verify some of the details in casual conversation with someone in the station's bar: it's not an error. Either that, or I've gone insane, in which case, any and everything I know is suspect. A bit simpler to assume I'm sane. For now, anyway.

As impossible as it seems, it's becoming clear that the unstable jump-hole has somehow thrown me into a "Sirius Sector" that, while very similar to my own, is a distinctly different place.

+++ End of Log #2 +++
+++ Cobalt Squadron Command Log #3, 817 A.S. +++

Currently en route to the Alaska System. An update to my ship's "History of the Sirius Sector," has provided much information about the current state of affairs. The Nomads and their agents have been far more active here than in my home "Sector".

Have obtained a Freelancer ID for my ship, which should help things diplomatically. Heading to the Alaska System in an attempt to make contact with representatives of The Order; contacts I made in Freeport 9 have confirmed that The Order remains a leading authority in the fight against the Nomads. As long as I am stuck in this Sector, obtaining more intel on the movements of the Nomad and their ilk would be wise, I think, considering how active they've been of late.

+++ End of Log #3 +++
+++ Cobalt Squadron Command Log #4, 817 A.S. +++

Currently disembarking from the Alaska System. It's been a few months since my last entry; joining the Order, even as a semi-freelance operative, has consumed much time. Have learned much about the Nomad's recent activities and movements. Joining the Order ensures that any travel to Liberty systems will be difficult at best, but access to their technology does allow me to better keep up on my ship's maintenance.

Fighting the Nomads is worthy work, but I've been increasingly discontent. Current politics seem an unnecessary distraction from our work. Wasting time fighting with Liberty forces and bickering with the Corsairs seems irresponsible in light of the Nomad threat.

Yesterday something happened which made me request a long term recon assignment surveiling Corsair & Nomad movements: Though there has not been any sign of Cobalt Cougar or any other members of the Squadron, I encountered a scientist in a bar who mentioned some artifacts that are being studied in Cambridge. He said that they seemed to be trans-dimensionally attuned to corresponding objects that reside on other "dimensions." (Twins, if you will.) I wonder, is one of them "connected" to a "twin" in the "Sector" I came from?

Gathering intel on the Corsairs, in particular, will place me close enough to swing by Cambridge and investigate those artifacts.....

+++ End of Log #4 +++