Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Journal of Rosario Moretti
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Begin Log]

Journal 1.

28th April 818 A.S.

My name is Rosario Maria Alberto Silvestre Giovanni Moretti. The first two and last one only need apply.
My family gives big names. That is because my family is a big name.

It is the Moretti family.
We're not one of the biggest families on Crete, but we're influential due to grandfather's "family business" that he sets up. We cover anything from transport to acquisition of goods, to location of missing persons, to loans, to hits. As in killing people. They call it the "family business," but I should boil it down for simplicity. We're a Corsair family that makes its money off of the less intelligent or fortunate of Sirius. We've risen above the rest, and apparently we deserve the estate I'm sitting in now, the private hangar on Tripoli, and the family-controlled dreadnought that's in orbit above my head right now.

We're big, but I was never supposed to be a part of all this, and I'm having trouble fitting in.
I was supposed to serve my entire life in one of the monasteries in the hills (the Catholic faith still persists on Crete, as it does most places the influence of the Hispania has touched), but my father, Damiano Moretti, had his scandal revealed to the public some weeks before I was to be given over to the lecherous friars that stand in the stone gates of their monasteries, waiting for young, virgin flesh...

Irene De Luca was her name. She was a nobody he met at an opera, some daughter of a shipwright. She and my father fell in love, and had a romance that lasted from 804 to 811. I don't know how he got away with it, but he did. He got her... pregnant twice. The first child born shares the room next to me, but the second shares the grave next to her.

It was officially an accident, the shuttle crash as she tried to leave Crete in shame.
Accidents are never convenient.

The Moretti family might be big, and we might be powerful, but doesn't mean we're a family. If it wasn't for my grandmother, I don't know if this "family business" would even hold us together in peace under this roof. My mother dislikes my father, and Innocentius reminds him every day of Irene. My uncle Sarafino is injured, crazy, and nobody likes having him around. Grandfather is harsh, my father is harsher, and my mother is spiteful. I wasn't ever meant to be a part of this family. I'm here only because of the scandal, when I should be in the monastery. I don't fit in, although I try. Allesandro just got married, and he looks at me like he looks at Innocentius - like I'm a kid. I became a man yesterday, I turned eighteen He needs to realise that. Renzo, at least, is halfway decent, but he spends half of his time over at the Council with grandfather. Only Luigi and Alberto, my twin uncles, seem to be immune to the dysfunctionality of the family.

My name is Rosario Maria Moretti.
It could be a girl's name, it goes both way. I'm a male.
I'm part of a dysfunctional Corsair crime family that doesn't want me around.
And they're yelling at each other again downstairs.

I guess the plans didn't work out. I said they wouldn't.
Not that anyone listens to me. I need to get out, prove to them I'm as much of the Moretti legacy as anyone else in this family is. Maybe then things will be better, maybe then she'll see her son isn't a failure, and my father will call me his son, a Moretti.

[End Log]