Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Legate- Corsair Dread Replace?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A while back, Angel of Mercy designed the Corsair capital ship line. This line consisted of the Legate Dreadnaught, and it's sister ship, the Praefect Cruiser (mk1). Also made at this time was the original Praetorian, which followed a smiliar theme.

I think it was felt that the Praefect 1 was too bulky, and diddnt look like an efficient use of resources, which one would expect from the Corsairs. He therefore went back and redesigned it, giving us the current Praefect Mk2. The Preatorian Bomber was also tweaked to fit better with the fighters.

[Image: praefectsyu6.png] Preafect Mk1
[Image: corsaircruisers.png] Praefect Mk2

However, the Legate was never revised, and, retaining the overly bulky and curvy theme of the first attempt at the Corsair warship line, it now doesnt fit well with the Gunboat and Cruiser, or, indeed, the slender designs of the fighters.
[Image: 11rvci9.png][Image: fcuwd5.png]
[Image: x6jzux.png]
(admittedly, they look pretty good in these renders...but I think that's a credit to McNeo rather than the model, which doesn't look great in-game)

There are also niggling problems with the model. Much as I am a fan of AOM's work, I have to say it was not one of his best. In some places, the texture doesnt work well, and the entire underside of the vessel is completely flat. This doesnt look great, and also causes the ship to look even more bulky, emphasising the size of it's internal volume, to one that probably exceeds most other battleships, and maybe some planets.
Id argue that, in addition, it could do with being scaled down to 80-90% of it's current size.

I think that it may be time the model was revised, either by replacing it with an entirely new one which ties in well with the Praefect, Gunboat, and other members of the shipline, or by reworking it whilst maintaining the same concept, as was done with the Praefect Cruiser.

Does this sound like something worth doing, and would anyone be willing to volunteer to take a shot at this?

(It is my understanding that the Corsair Council is in favour of this proposal, and would be willing to pay handsomely for a good replacement model).
For what it's worth, I did back this. And my impression was the same as Carlos', that the Legate deserves a bit more love. The Praefect II looks much sleeker than its first version, at least the same sort of thing should be applied to the Legate. However, artistic liscence and all that. If you guys have other concepts, of course we'd like a look...
If I have time once I finish what I'm working on I might try this, but for the sake of echo I agree with the above posted sentiments.
I thought that it actually is a Carrier.
Well, according to the size of it, it could even be a carrier. Actually, the shape of the ship is good, however it's way too big I think, I was flying one next to a cruiser and I could barely see it (Praefect)

So even if the model itself stays, it really - as Carlos said - could use a bit of shrik ray, so it wouldn't be such a huge brick in the sky.
I completely agree. Im always hearing about people saying they saw a brick fly through Theta or somewhere.
I would like to see some new models or revised models of this ship.
Is there a model comparison picture available?
well, I'm supprised now.... I thought I'll get a result that the Legate is way bigger then it's OC brother, the Ranseur, but not ...

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu23/...comleg.jpg

As you can see, the Ranseur is even bigger then the Legate ... if I did everything right ... but still it feels like it's a huge brick. Maybe I screwed something up while merging files, so it might be not accurate, but still ...
' Wrote:well, I'm supprised now.... I thought I'll get a result that the Legate is way bigger then it's OC brother, the Ranseur, but not ...

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu23/...comleg.jpg

As you can see, the Ranseur is even bigger then the Legate ... if I did everything right ... but still it feels like it's a huge brick. Maybe I screwed something up while merging files, so it might be not accurate, but still ...

It appears to be somewhat larger, but we need to see it from other angles.

That, and compare it to a few other battleships. (Or seven banana fridges.)
you are absolutely right there - the legate is a SMALL "heavy" battleship. - however, most battleships are a lot larger than their cruiser cousins.

for example, the rheinland battleship bridge section ( the turtles head sort of ) is larger than an entire BHG battlecruiser ( and that one is not particularly small ) - so you can imagine the average size of what a "heavy" battleship ought to be.

you d also be surprised to compare the legate to the outcasts battleship ( not the dreadnought ) - the outcasts battleship being lighter, less armoured, less armed and having a smaller powercore than the legate. - just compare them and prepare for a surprise.

the legate is compact - but by no means large. certainly its not as small as an osiris or a mako, - but then, you really don t wanne trade stats with the mako i daresay.

also its not as powerful as the marduk nomad battleship, cause thats simply at the very top of the scale - also due to the nomad weapon stats, which are much better than yours.

these days ( with the cruise rule removed ) - the legate should be able to defeat most light battleships though. it can take quite a beating and dish out as much as a juggernaut due to the 9 million power. additional to that, it also presents a smaller target than most other 9 million power battleships. - all in all... its not a bad deal there.

but when its purely about looks. - looks are subjective. - personally, i found and still find the old cruiser much more inspired than the new one. - the new one has a cleaner skin that certainly took more work - and it also looks more FLish i daresay - but the old one had that little something that cannot really be described other than "it looked better in my opinion".

i m not really sure AoM is gonne be back to revise the model - and his style can hardly be copied appropriately. there might be modellers trying to do it - but i doubt that his quality can be achieved any time soon.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7