Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Norexan's English grammar class
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
The content of the original post of this thread has been moved -Gheis
http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=1543366

' Wrote:2. It's vs. Its
This is another common mistake. It's also easily avoided by thinking through what you're trying to say.

"It's" is a contraction of "it is" or "it has." "Its" is a possessive pronoun, as in "this blog has lost its mojo." Here's an easy rule of thumbrepeat your sentence out loud using "it is" instead. If that sounds goofy, "its" is likely the correct choice.

This is the one I make the mistake on most. It's always slipping my mind.
Very good, I hope it helps some other non-english speakers arround, like me.

Keep it up.
I think I'm in love with you now.
I personally, will watch all of your posts. If you screw up *any* grammar I will point, laugh, and scream like a little girl.

..Can you do defence vs. defense next?:D
' Wrote:This is the one I make the mistake on most. It's always slipping my mind.

Me too. Kinda (oh, sorry, Kind of) comforting knowing that even English native speakers have trouble with it. :)
It's great to see this is taken seriously and people are willing to learn.

Still to come:

Too vs. Neither

Defence vs. Defense

Too vs. To

Of vs. Off

Except vs. Accept

Than vs. Then

Lose vs. Loose

... and many more!
I'll also take requests from people who struggle with a particular word or area, lessons will resume with 5 more examples next time.
' Wrote:I think I'm in love with you now.
Damn, you stole my post!
' Wrote:This is the one I make the mistake on most. It's always slipping my mind.

Same here, I always thought "It's" was correct for everything... Silly me. :$
May I just say that when I was in the California system someone typed:

"Congradulations" to someone during a conversation. This too seems to be quite common, especially amongst Americans. Let's be clear here, that while American and British English may differ on some spelling differences, congratulations isn't one of them.
Also the debate of "colour" over "color". Color has no U!

Also, I vote for this to be pinned, this thread does not have enough potential for it to remain on the top three pages, or to get posts every day or so. This thread needs to been seen by people, and will just get lost in General Discussion without a pin.:)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9