Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Let's analyze....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Image: 254px-Storm-s.png]

Oh this lovable little devil...

Pride of the Coalition and bane of the pirates/lawful of Sirius. Or is it...?

Frankly, I have found it to be the bane of traders and smugglers. It has amazing agility, worthy of making it decent in asteroid fields; a grand power plant, letting it unleash a brutal razor/pulse salvo; and it has a weak hull, forcing it into a strike-and-fade role. What are these the traits of...? You guessed it.
[color=#990000]
A PIRATE GUNSHIP!

Yay. So it is established that the Coalition Storm is supposed to shoot traders? It has seven turrets, and they can't even fire below it. Hell, the rear gun is all but useless! It has a pivotal arc of freak-all and even that's giving it credit.

When analyzing other military gunboats, such as those used by the houses, we find they all have a few things in common. The first being the forward gun. It is vicious, it is hard to use, but God help you when it hits. Another common trait is a center mount. There is a dorsal/spinal mount present in the Rheinland and Liberty gunboats. This makes them able to mount a weapon capable of great traverse that doesn't offset your load out. A few pirate gunships such as the Claymore, Imperator, and Heimdall have this center mount as well.

TL;DR?

The Storm is not as great as it seems. It's purpose is not in the design. It's design is not in the purpose. We have a pirate gunboat. Not a military one.

Our suggestions:
1. Make that rear mount face forward and backwards.
2. Take the rear mount and put it on the top, making all weapons face forward and screw turret defense.
3. Add a forward gun and remove the rear turret. We have a nice slot/vent in the center for that, too. Would be helpful.

Comments? Suggestions? Deep amounts of RRRRRRAAAAGGGGGEEEEE?
some comparisons to Tridentes and Imperators would be good

Maybe some SSs and examples of the issues?
I'm going to do some work tonight and do some fancy artsy stuff, and make the turret arcs and the like for the Storm, and compare to the Tridente and the Imperator later. I'll do some more comparison work tomorrow.
Well. The Imperator is designed like a damned tank. If anything, it's good at both piracy and military roles. The only thing that makes it poor is its maneuverability and large profile. Even then, the Imperator is streamlined.

I'll have screens later to depict this.
[2:41:44 PM] Magnificentness: Yes.
[2:41:54 PM] Magnificentness: Forward cannon on the 4.86 replacement.
[2:41:56 PM] Magnificentness: Lobby for it.
[2:42:00 PM | Edited 2:42:02 PM] Magnificentness: OR
[2:42:05 PM] Magnificentness: DUAL forward guns.
[2:42:08 PM] Magnificentness: Yyyeeaahhh.
[2:42:12 PM] Magnificentness: Nobody has tried THAT before.
[2:42:19 PM] Magnificentness: Two guns, one of either side.
[2:42:24 PM] Magnificentness: Like a bomber, sortof.
[2:42:36 PM] Magnificentness: Dual forward guns.

Like those two little 'wings' on the sides of that there Storm, mount dual class 10's there. Forward guns with a very low refire and less damage.
:D
But after flying this in SP, the issue does become apparent with the uselessness of the rear turret. It is entirely true, the turn range of the turret and the positioning of it makes it fairly useless in most combat situations, unless you're one of those people who plays starcraft at 200 moves in a minute.
I'm not sure of that, but the main tactic of the coalition army is the hit and run tactics, like they say in disc wiki about their cruisers... so this gunboat seens to fits it well.
hit and run looks like any other roguish tactic, so this is why this ship feels like a pirate ship. pls correct me if i'm wrong.
But what's the good of that if we can't kill our target? Which happens to be a gunboat or a cruiser? The thing is that game mechanics trump out canon/descriptions.
I didnt know that it was so ineffective like you said, i never have been in one of those gunboats. if it's so useless, it deserves a buff. Any good army needs something with a good punch.
A pirate gunship would be huge, slow, lot's of armor, maybe bigger powerplant and most importantly - cargo hold.

Agile little gunboats which fulfill their pew pew versus bombers role and manages to dodge most of the shots is the combat role one.

I think you have misunderstanding in ship conceptions. The one you decribed fits the scra well enought.
I am going to say this now

Most of you have never flown a storm. They have. They know what they need. You, on the other hand, dont.

Dont -ever-, say "no it fine" Before flying that ship in a PVP situation.

EDIT: In this case, go boot up FL server and get a few buddies together.
Pages: 1 2 3