Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ames mk2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It's great. I am looking forward to dock there.
I'll change that right side - shipyard to something more scientific, and then we'll see how it fits.

Station was created by DSE in 677 A.S, then brought back to life by Zoners in 760 A.S, and present year is 817 A.S. . Well, it would be logical, for station to develop, to add new parts, in this big period of time (at least, Zoners are rich)?
After all - it's called Research Station, it should at least look something like that.

Now, about other things, forces, rotation... Well, Freelancer is not realistic game. There are much other things that don't make sense - but still, it's game, nothing can be perfect.

Quote:And, finally, why should there be an Ames mk2? What possible goal...

And well, why not... If people like it, well good. Model we have now doesn't fit the name at all - Research station, at least something should be changed.
It has a shipyard now? Vince Pryor's childhood approves.
' Wrote:
Station was created by DSE in 677 A.S, then brought back to life by Zoners in 760 A.S, and present year is 817 A.S. . Well, it would be logical, for station to develop, to add new parts, in this big period of time (at least, Zoners are rich)?
After all - it's called Research Station, it should at least look something like that.
Ok, the stations itself looks cool. Great effort on that one. However, it doesn't fit with the current station itself, considering it's purpose and the timeframe for improvements. Not knocking what you've made, just the intended purpose.

Unseliee's point was that in 817, the station would look as it currently does. In 818 it would suddenly sprout all that stuff. You'd need to retcon its history in order to explain where all that came from, which is uncool in general.

As for it being called a research station. Well, small example. You live in a place called "Cheese". Cheese has a lab nearby, just outside town. Eventually the firm that owns it moves out, and the building is left to rot. You and some buddies move in, patch it up with your uber DIY skills, and squat there because you don't like the town of Cheese itself and you came up with the idea of selling hotdogs to the hairy bikers than were on their way to the next town along. The name remains "Cheese Lab", because that's what it was. Just because it was, doesn't mean it still is, or that the squatters are Cheese scientists by merit of residence.

TL;DR = I don't know what the current Zoner players are doing about it, but Ames didn't actually do any research or use THE POWER OF SCIENCE(!!!) last I checked.
' Wrote:Solar panels are useless in a system with no sun.

Who says they are normal solar panels. They could be panels designed to absorb some other form of energy/you know what I mean.

:P
Okay okay, as the local expert since my character was born there:

- Ames functions mostly as a freeport. A "truck stop" in Kepler. It has traffic that is largely local in nature, since Galileo lacks a corresponding station. It is frequented by Lane Hackers, Xenos, Freelancers/Mercs, and some traders who pick it over the faster but less-safe Galileo run into Kusari.

- Ames does have some of its original scientific processes going on. They're responsible for creating/stealing technology from Kusari/Liberty (counterfeit software) and provide Xenos with radiation drugs and treatment for their people hiding in the nearby darkmatter cloud.

- Ames has been given a line of ships to buy there, most notably the Conference. It is conceivable that there was growth in the shipbuilding department because there was a sizeable demand for maintenance; this is the only "truck stop" between Liberty and Kusari. It could have been just for balancing, ergo where to stick the ship for purchase, but giving it a larger shipyard under the guise of having to maintain commerce transports justifies having the Conference there.
I like the design - it fits. To the people who criticize it - well make better one. Since station building is not so attractive as ship building and not many people do it I think that we should encourage it. I would be happy to see it in game.Good work.
' Wrote:I like the design - it fits. To the people who criticize it - well make better one. Since station building is not so attractive as ship building and not many people do it I think that we should encourage it. I would be happy to see it in game.Good work.

Creating a station for the sake of creating a station shouldn't really be a reason to have it added to the mod.

It does look cool, but I have much the same fears as others as to it's use.
Actually due to the game mechanics the station look/equipment attached don't play any role at all.
So if we look like that all stations could use the same model.Changing a station makes no change in game-play at all. It is pure RP action justifying the storyline of Discovery.
Making exclusive model for station that don't improve nothing to a faction/actual game play is nice and should be encouraged.
The RP idea behind that stations develop over time is nice and make nice RP atmosphere.
I pointed out that people tend to make ships in order to have game-play advantage to their own factions, and the effort of someone to make station just for the sake of doing it must be appreciated.
' Wrote:Unseliee's point was that in 817, the station would look as it currently does. In 818 it would suddenly sprout all that stuff. You'd need to retcon its history in order to explain where all that came from, which is uncool in general.

Errr.....do we really? Do we justify how all the imports (and Jinx's ships after a few weeks) magically changed to their new appearance? No, we use four words called: Willing Suspension Of Disbelief.
Pages: 1 2 3 4