Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Untagged Factions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
' Wrote:We anticipated this would come up. Unfortunately there is little we can do to factor that into this for the moment, we need to see more of our official faction tagged ships in game - We cannot consider a faction active if that faction isn't identifiably showing up in game.

I've had this argument with people on Skype in the past, and I still hold firm to my views. Official factions should bear a tag. I say this as a QCP player, who will be hunted to hell and back whenever I log in. A Bowex player, who will attract pirates from all over Sirius whichever route I take. Formerly a SCRA pilot, who... Well, self explanatory. I'd have benefited from detagging in all three cases, but I wouldn't have (even if I did have the choice).

My reasoning for this is simple, and goes beyond the Admins being able to activity track ships. You are an official faction, and thus represent (or theoretically represent) the cream of your NPC faction's RP ability. Similarly, you work together as a team, in a uniform fashion, based on the fact you are indeed an official faction and not a militia of indys who are all working together.

If you do not bear a tag, people do not know you are an official faction member. You are a member in order to showcase your faction's RP. If people do not know you are a member of your faction, what is the point of even enlisting? You are supposed to be providing an example, not hiding.

People raise the point of Wilde and Keepers being ganked via the chatlist. That is not nice, and probably sucks for you guys, but that is a consequence of playing as a faction that -everyone- wants to kill. I'd suggest swapping out the blatantly obvious 'Keeper' and 'Wilde' tags, and replacing them with a symbol [-] as an example, and using it as a suffix. You know, like the Sails do.

As for pirate factions, like the LH. The impression is they are borderline active and mostly dead. That's thanks to the fact no-one knows who they are. As for traders dodging them via the chat list? As mentioned above, pirate factions can and will work just fine with tags - again, see the Sails.

So, yeah. Probably not voiced as eloquently as it could have beeen, or covering as many points as I should have done. Oh well.

Discuss?
I must say I totally agree. If you are part of official faction then act like that. I know Keepers and Wilde tags cause metagaming and stuff, but as Jamie said, it's part of faction for which you applied. You should know how it will be.
Everyone has to bear with metagaming, not just certain factions, every official faction is in same situation. Maybe not all are so popular in means of being hostile with everyone as factions mentioned above, but it's still pretty much the same thing. Metagaming can bring good stuff aswell, decent players can use it for oportunity to find RP which otherwise wouldn't be possible.
In before Teschy tries to flame the Phantoms.

Even if you used a [-] people will know who you are.

It's difficult to compensate for people being jerks.
So what's the solution then, Dusty? All tags or no tags?
' Wrote:In before Teschy tries to flame the Phantoms.

Even if you used a [-] people will know who you are.

It's difficult to compensate for people being jerks.
Currently Keeper = Nomads. Everyone who plays this mod knows that. All you do is swap to "order by name" and flick to 'K'. Put [-] on the end of your name, and that isn't applicable. Plus, only the people who bother with the forums will know that [-] = Keepers at first.

As you said, using the tag as a suffix does work. At least, it's harder to find from a casual glance at the chat list.
I myself have two untagged ships, which are flown when A) not in the mood to deal with kusarian gunboats popping up in liberty and attacking my (essentially) defenseless train. And B) When doing things that . . really aren't related to the faction. For instance, being in group with a xeno.

So . . +1 for suffixs', and flying untagged in select situations.
I agree with Jammi, It's another factor that adds to the "eliteness" of Wilde, Phantoms, and Keepers. If any other faction tried to go untagged, I would think that the Admins would tell them to add their tag back, simply because they need it to be official.

And really, i'm sure you can deal with the meta'ing that happens. It'll still happen if people know your shipnames, and we/they do. It happens, It's a game.
I'm not in any factions who use ships without tags...

I still support the idea. I've witnessed plenty of gankfests against Keepers and Phantoms back when they did have tags. It's ridiculous and not very fun for those players. I've seen it happen to QCP. Three times I saw a QCP log in, then 5 minutes later, there were 5 KNF/IG/Indy ships logged on that were not there before.
' Wrote:If you do not bear a tag, people do not know you are an official faction member.
If you see a Wild ID, Keeper ID, or Phantom ID, it's a fairly safe bet that the person is part of the respective player faction.

Anyway, Wilde removed our tag not because of the ganking, but because it made it impossible to even -pretend- to be anything but **Nomguys** across system chat.
Should the =LSF= remove their tags then, so they can go undercover?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8