Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Perspective
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Perspective... that's what I get. Long road from there to here.

The break up of the DSV-Dauntless has left me with a great deal of personal searching. I'm indeed intent upon uncovering my own perspective. I'm setting course for Frankfurt. I've an idea of sorts, something that may mean my retirement if I do it right.

Here I have this massive scrap of metal with no funds to repair her... but, I have some nice spare parts! Salvagable, I believe. I paid for it! Damn the Liberty Navy if they've not got the gumption to put me another team together. They're the ones what stuck me with the trigger happy fool. I'll be the one calling the next shot.

Okay, so here we are with a good bit of expensive equipment destroyed, a cracked hull, and spare parts... what can I save from this?
(( as Meiun digs through the heaps he discovers that the Mk VIII is still functional with a small bit of work, The data equipment for the star charting seems functional but the data cleaned by Liberty, the Martian Thruster is badly damaged... but could be repaired ))

Well, that's the beginnings of a ship I suppose. My funds won't afford me the kind of craft worthy of these items...

Perspective, Meiun! I've gained a lot of knowledge about this sector of space, in not only the Dauntless experience but in my time with the Zoners. If I finish this task of mapping... on my own... I could give this information to others... for a price of course!

(( Meiun finishes his salvage and has the items packed for storage. He then contacts some Zoner friends via space interlink to bum a ride to Frankfurt. Then off to the bar...))
Perspective. It's what people want! They want an understanding of the big picture; how they fit in, what they're to do, and where they'll end up.

I'm now under the belief that my focus determines my reality, in the same way that my choices to this point have placed me in this current circumstance. Indeed, I am a culmination of my choices to this point. So, perspective... Have I a focus? Do I know what I want?

Yes. Yes I do. Most folks want a bigger ship to fly. More expensive equipment. More friends to hang with while passing time on patrols. Bah, bugger to it all. I want a beach, waves drifting in, softly lopping the shore just a few feet from me. I want my silly little drinks with paper umbrellas delivered to me by half-naked women wearing a beret.

My goal: to buy one of them tropical islands on Baden Baden and spend the rest of my life as one of those eccentric recluse fellas with all kinds of cash and folks clammering for my time... but I'll just put them off. I don't want to be the richest person in Sirius sector, just the second richest.

I met a fella once, who owned a battleship, and ran a race course for fun... That was in Dublin I believe. I think I'll pay him a visit after I pick up my new ship in Frankfurt.
The deal is done. I met with my contact in Frankfurt, who, curiously, thought I was with the Liberty Naval force. Baer Reithlin was his name... stocky fella with lots of pride in his ship, which he calls Baer Dog... how nice.

Anyway, the deal involves a support mission for some Blood Dragons, a raid on a KNF squadron. I'll withhold details as I think someone is tapping into my journal. Don't mind someone reading this, but I'll have to be more cautious with what I share, I suppose.

So, the deal has me flying wing to this Blood Dragon noble or prince... or something like that. I'm Kusari by birth, but have no association or knowledge of the Blood Dragons other than the ships of theirs I used to shoot down during the war. Since I've become a Zoner full time I've not had a bit of trouble with their "cause" or with them.

In exchange for the success of the mission I will have access to one of their cruisers, and I will give them access to a bit of our Zoner weaponry... something the Noble is very excited about. I get my ship, they get a pilot, and some new weapons... this should be nice.

But, I have a detour to make before heading to Hokkaido. Dexter is waiting for a rematch.

I immediately caught a ride with a Zoner friend who was headed to Bretonia space. He was running the Gold route, and only asked that I help with a bit of piloting along the way. I eventually made my way to see Dexter Hovis on his battleship in Dublin.

Dexter, ya see... owes me. Part of my past involves a racing racket that he and I used to pull on newbie pilots who came into the system. Over the course of time we ran... let's just say that Dexter will be pleased that all I ask of him is a new fighter.
Perspective... it's what is gained over a lifetime of experiences, and encounters with certain truths about life, love, liberty, and loneliness.

Life:
I was born on planet New Tokyo in a small quiet town of Hazashi. The "city of light" sits on a terraced mountainside with perfect vision of the rising eastern sun. That beautiful blue sun graced our morning nearly every day of the year. Being just above the fog level was like waking up on the shores of a great white sea, and daily I would rise to greet the sea and watch the fog burn off as the sun rose.

My father was a pilot, a captain, for the Kusari Navy. Growing up Kusari meant discipline, and our days were filled with learning tradition and practicing our crafts to perfection. I saw my father briefly once every few months. We took vacations as a family once a year. Most of the time we would either visit a larger city in the province, or with family near our home.

I'd spend my days during those vacations with my father... fishing. The great river Shinano flowed to the south and east of our mountainside village. The rapid flows were perfect spawning grounds for a variety of fish; all of which were cooked on open flamed pans as we would settle down for an evening under the stars.

I miss that fishing... I miss my father. Funny how the smallest of things stay with you, while large things blend in to the big picture. The clean crisp scent of coniferous branches burning. The briney smell of fish cooking on the open flame. The hint of ginseng and the flare of kimchi fleshed out over the palate as you partake in the well-earned feast.
Liberty:
So, my father died during a KNF raid in Sigma-13. I was 11 when we got the visit from two staunch military guys informing my mother of the incident. I gave up childhood that day. My walks alone through the woods and around the village were more solitary than one could imagine. In my head thoughts of vengeance and despair waged battle, and my struggle to adulthood could only take one path.

Freedom; a celebrated and often controversial topic. I found my freedom as a pilot, in soaring above the world, almost beyond it. Cares drifted away as quickly as I could kick in the afterburners. It seemed as though I was born to fly, although I hear most pilots say the same.

After a 6 year commission with the KNF, and several battles with them over my right to depart, I had my own commercial license, and began trading throughout Kusari occupied territory. A stint as a racer, a few years as a bounty hunter, and some good times as a hired gun (system bouncer) have led me to here... back on the trade routes.

I've now ventured far beyond most native Kusari folks, and have seen great and wonderful things across this galaxy. I am free. I am Zoner.

I find myself these days flying through the area where I know my father's ship was blown apart. There's a quiet stillness right there... something peculiar about the point. It's as if a warning and a beckoning are inter-mingled.

A warning to flee this life of space flight; to find a home and settle down, else I face the cost of the great unknowns that sharply increase in severity as one becomes more distant from a base or planet. And yet, there is the beckoning, the defiant voice of exploration. I WILL go! Perhaps this is the reservation and ambition of every pilot who dares escape an atmosphere.

But Liberty calls to us. Liberty draws us up, and outward to the unknown, the unexplored, and freedom is found in the arms of an open universe, awaiting the return of her children.
So, I fly back to Dublin and meet up with Dexter. The ol' boy gives me this rap like he doesn't remember because of his age... and all of that. Well, that ended quick when we pulled the bartender aside and asked for his perspective. Everyone bows to bartenders!

"How about a lap?"
"Naw, I'll be late. I need to get up to... my next appointment." I said, and desparately tried to hide details. I chose my words poorly.

"Ah, where ya going? I've got some folks up in Kusari space scouting for the sector scuttlebutt. You have anything to add?"

One thing's for sure, nothing slips past this old crow. His eye has always been sharp, and he had me on the line. So, I was just straight with him.

"Look, Dexter, I need a fighter, clothed and shined. I can't really tell you more than that right now. But I'll send word to you as I can. What do you say? For old time's sake?"

"Sure, sport. You've earned it. No hard feelings?" Dexter extended his hand.

Whew, that was close. I grabbed that Cavalier and jetted out of there as fast as I could manage. Dexter had it fit with a superb shield and I threw in the modifications I had salvaged off of the Dauntless.
-------------------------------

I arrived at Kyoto under heavy suspicion! My every move was monitored from the moment I left the Hood. I'm sure Dexter had spies about, as did KNF. Luckily my years as a pilot and trader have opened up a wide map of options for evasive and speedy travel.

Kyoto is an obscure place. After chasing the Blood Dragon's livery boys off of the Cavalier, the Daimyo greeted me on the landing pad.

"Konichiwa, Meiun Hazaken. You are welcomed among the Kenin of the Blood Dragons."

I bowed promptly, reliving my Kusari heritage in my mind, "Konichiwa," I really didn't know what more to say. I was led to a briefing room surrounded by intense security. My eyes quickly took account of the side arms and Wakizashi visible by their wielders... and yet I felt welcomed and very safe.

"I understand you have experience with the KNF?"

I'm no fool. I knew that the Daimyo had full access and knowledge of my past. "Hai," I replied.

"Wise. To boast of one's past is to invite defeat."

"Agreed. Shall we proceed to the mission briefing?" I said in trepidation.
------------------------------

We flew out to Tau-31 via Planet Malta. The wide route used to cover our tracks. It was a quiet run and gave me time to gather some info on the fellas I was flying beside. All told there were 27 of us on the mission. Two Dragon gunboats, and 9 Dragon fighters.

I'm the decoy... of course. That's why I have the light fighter, and why it's bretonian. That's also the small bit of information my fixer failed to brief me on... but I had suspected as much. No problem.

My job, in essence is to lure the Bretoni guarding the Tau-29 gate off to the Tau-29 jump hole. I, of course, am Kusari by birth. My accent is fairly thick still despite all my years away from Kusari space.

"This is Bretonian Cruiser Alpha 4-2 to Bretonian Light Fighter Iota 1-1. What is your destination?"

"Uh, Hai. This is er, uh. Harro." I blew open the afterburners and high tailed it back toward the hole. I didn't kick the cruise engines because I wanted to make sure they pursued.

"To all Bretonian in system! Kusari hijacked light fight running toward Tau-29 jump hole. Pursue and open fire. Repeat, open fire!"

The first of them to pursue me, a heavy fighter, locked on to me. I evaded and kicked in the cruise. Missile lock. Evade. Cruise. I've played this game one too many times, pal. Acting confused and erratic, I pulled off through the trade lane, then turned toward planet Harris. This allowed me to get a good count. I made out 4 gunboats, 6 heavy fighters... and a cruiser! Evade! Good thing I'm in a light fighter!

On a private channel I sent the info to my party awaiting on the other side of the jump hole. I crippled my ship just as I got in range of the jump hole by uncoupling the cruise and choking the engine, sending sparks and smoke out the tail... and old trader trick.

"Bogey is taking fire! Pursue, pursue!" I heard over the system comms.

"Now, now, now!" Swarmed by heavy fighters, blitzing gunfire from heavy turrets, missiles, countermeasures, and mines everywhere... Then, in through the Jump Hole; salvation. The battle ensues.
I'd have paid a million credits to see the faces on the bridge of those gunboats when 11 Dragon ships came pouring through the jump hole. My mission here was a success. Private channel message incoming, "Arigato, Meiun-san. Head through the jump hole, sir."

I didn't want to leave them there, but I was in a light fighter. The plan did not call for me to engage, only to lure... It wasn't a trap to kill Bretonians, this whole mission was a decoy. The Daimyo made it through the system unnoticed. Those brave Blood Dragons fought hard, to the death for many of them, and the others I'm sure were detained and questioned... all for the sake of their Daimyo.
----------------------------

I returned to Dublin swiftly. Onboard the Hood I grabbed a suite, entertained some friends, and awaited word through Interlink. Dexter and I had a several long conversations about honor and duty. His insight struck me, "Observance of perfection inspires."

Indeed. I have been inspired by the Blood Dragons and their perfect execution, and their unselfish loyalty, to their own abandonment, for the sake of their Daimyo... I am inspired.

The Daimyo would later tell me, "The control of information is the key to planning." I did not know the Daimyo's destination, or his purpose. I knew only my part in his plan. Dexter Hovis and his network didn't have a clue as to the Daimyo's whereabouts the entire time I awaited word aboard the Hood.
----------------------------

Back at Kyoto 9 days later I met up with the Daimyo and his Kenin. After a brief ceremony with this small party, I was thanked with access to the Talarca Light Cruiser! I presented my credits without hesitation, and promptly contacted Baer to let him know the mission was a success and to uphold our end of the agreement as Zoners.

The Daimyo presented a brief outlining his desire to purchase certain Fury models... I asked no further questions; his credits were good.

Our time together nearing an end, I wanted to take a moment to express my thanks and admiration to the Daimyo and his Blood Dragons, but quite unceremoniously, "Your time here is done, Meiun-san." And he was gone.

I climbed aboard the new Dauntless... oh, what a sweet ship! Unmatched in its class for manueverability, solid turret coverage at all trajectories, really cool wings! I couldn't wait to fly her. I had hired two crewmen to help me fly her to Freeport 11, after a short stop at Toledo for outfitting.

...and that's how a Zoner gets a Talarca Cruiser. Now, she's ready to be called upon for Freeport Defense anywhere in the Sirius Sector. Inbetween, I am free to fly her using the star data charting equipment used in the original Dauntless. This time, the crew was hand selected by me. No more trigger happy fool at the helm when I'm trying to sleep.
Loneliness:

...stale, wet air filled the cabin. Something must be wrong with the climate control system again. Waking for another shift of flight time, I reach out and turn off the fan blowing down into my bunk. I've been out surfing in the Whale again. She's a nice ship, but the excitement ends once the course is set and the autopilot begins the jump sequences.

I picked up some reading materials while on a short hop to planet Cambridge. That lot of folk are a bit too smart for their own good. Seems to me they could use a smidge of real life experience if you know what I mean. Flying to and fro across the known universe gives one a larger sense of belonging, a bit more... perspective.

Research what you will. Nothing compares to actually catching the brow of a solar wind... turn off the engines, scale back the mag-wave and listen to the prickly whisk of particles slap against the hull, shoving your ship forward ever so slight. Dangerous? Hell yeah! Of course it is, but what is life without the dangers of experience?

If I can get away with it, I'll stay off the bridge for hours at a time, allowing the rumble of the engines to sooth me, or sitting in a turret observing the stars in a wide expanse. I've had "companions" on board many occasion, but never for too long. There is a sanctity I wish to be preserved. A loneliness I long to encounter.

I've come to understand that it's okay to be lonely as long as you're free.
Four years...

It has been nearly four years since my last captain's journal entry. That was a good piece of retirement.

After making my fortunes and buying that cozy spot on Baden Baden, I entrusted the good ship Dauntless to Captain Hovis of the Hood, and took a taxi back home, assuring the end of my piloting days... or so I thought.

I figured out how Spa and Cruise bought these planets, and how they've become so wealthy across the vastness of Sirius, the SWINDLE people out of their money through court costs and attorney's fees!

Long story short, it's time to bring the Dauntless back out, but I have to earn some Mox money first. Let's see if profit smells the same across Sirius.

Meiun out.
Baden Baden Bureau
Billionaire's Party Drains Bank Account
After only two years of retirement, billionaire Meiun Hazaken has spent all of his money on a flamboyent party that came to an end at the end of last solar cycle. Meiun lavashed his guests with all of the splendor of Baden Baden for nearly a year, having imports flown in from across the sector to keep the party going.
The workers who were supposed to be serving the guests at the party soon became the guests as well, and companies began to complain that they were losing money as their employees failed to show for work due to constant intoxication and chants of "It's five o'clock somewhere" in reference to an ancient colonial song about work cycles.
Mr Hazaken has been taken to court by a number of companies in a class action lawsuit that has been the talk of Rheinland space for nearly the past year. The case has been settled and Meiun has officially been declared bankrupt...

Ah the memories... I did not know that girl was the mayor's daughter, I swear! Well, no sense in crying over spent credits. Needless to say my scrap book runneth over.
Greetings again lonely space travelers of the Sirius sector. Meiun signing in again for an update on the life and times of this ol' Zoner....

I haven't a clue where the time has gone; spent, nay wasted, on poor investments, as is the story of this poor chap who happened to be in the right place at the right time, and nothing more.

Dexter tires of my presence, the TAZ pray and... fellowship too much for my liking, so I'm left to Holo-Tainment on the long journeys.

But, delivery continues. I'm a working man after all. The binge cycles have to end. I need to regain my perspective.
Pages: 1 2