Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Economic events / habitation pods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings.

Before I make my suggestion, I hereby declare that I have absolutely no competence in programming and modding, hence if what I'm about to say is impossible to do, then peace :cool:

Trading goods have always the same prices, and certain commodities have very limited destinations (passenger related goods, for example...there are not as many touristic destinations as one might expect for the entire Sirius sector). I was thinking about setting up time-limited events that alter the prices/destinations of things.

An example: news appear on the broadcast "This year's ArtCon will be held on planet Eire and yadda yadda yadda, it will last 7 days, etc etc..." and for exactly 7 days the price of Tourists, Vacationers and VIPs on Eire raises a bit, making it a touristic destination because of the cultural event.

Another example: "Food shortage on Los Angeles, industrial incident pollutes fields, blah blah blah", and for a given number of days food related stocks increase price, and population ones decrease.

I believe in this way the traders will find it more interesting to seek new profitable travels, and not repeating the same routes over and over again. Plus, it helps for roleplay immersion. But again, I don't know if it can be done by changing server settings without actually having to update the mod, so I'll leave it up to you developers.

I'm also reposting here another idea I had a coupe days ago, just to give it more visibility :crazy:

' Wrote:Hi there!

I am currently flying a Democritus yacht. I like it, and I like the idea of carrying people around the Sirius sector in style and comfort. The best solution for this is of course a Liner, but liners are absurdly expensive and (in my opinion) their cargo holds don't make up for their price. While I was thinking about all this, an idea struck me. Turning trains into "slightly below luxury" liners.

All it would take is an esthetic feature. What about creating a new kind of cargo pod that shows windows on its surface, and call it "habitation module"? This way, any transport capable ot carrying cargo pods would be able to carry passengers etc. without wincing at the thought of VIPs actually stored in a cargo hold...

Just an idea that I throw at you game developers ^^ Let me know what you think of it.
Any feedback?
I'm sure this was suggested before... And was said that it would take ****loads of time to do and some very profitable routes would be open by mistake because it would be nigh on impossible to keep an eye on all of them. So everyone would spam the route of the week... Or the month or whatever.

Also, you forgot to write /summon Cannon in the title:P
about the trade event idea, and trading overall:
What would be the best is: if commodity prices would somehow depend on the distance of trade route.
for example if I deliver X from Manhattan to Colorado I get 100SC per unit, but if I take it to New Tokio I get like 300SC per unit, or something like that. But of course the price should depend on other factors too like demand on particular planet/station or such. But as much as I know this is impossible to do. Sadly.

About the passanger cargo pod idea:
You can always RP that you have modified the ship to fit passanger needs. So it does not have to be train but any ship.
Yeah I know that I can RP passenger accomodation, but yet... as I said, I don't know anything about modding, but I don't believe a reskin for a cargo pod would be that hard to accomplish, and it could add a lot to the game, both in realism and in RP.
trade events can happen, but they're not used. Cannon and Dusty had a way to temporarily boost prices ingame (ie FP14 Water Shortage, Sephardi's Parties, etc), but there really hasn't been any use of it since sadly.

What you COULD do is write up a news item (which is mostly how these things were advertised), put together a list of commodities and their price increases, and the RP behind it, and submit it to a dev or mod/admin and see where it goes I guess.
Hmm... I think we should try and pursuit something instead of just leaving into the admin's hand. Like thinking it through, maybe planning one or two events and presenting them in a silver platter for the server admins.

I'm up for it. =]

Amelia and/or anyone else interested?

Let's move our asses people! Let's work for the main good! ;D
Nice, I'll read it through.

What about my other proposal, the habitation pods? Can I have a dev/modder's voice about that?
Don't think it will be done, no...

Maybe in .46, but that's gonna take some time.
Pages: 1 2