Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The launching of the Celtic.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I.

The room is quiet. A tall, blonde gentleman sits with his thumbs pressed to his chin, in deep thought.
The smoke swirls around his chiseled facial features.
"Seven months..."
mouths the man after taking a deep drag of his dwindling cigar; the smoke practically whispering his words for him.

"D'you say something Henry?"
Says a second man, looking up from the Bretonian Broadcasting Corperation's article streaming on his datapad.

"Huh? Oh don't worry about it. Just thinking about how much we're giving up to do this, Thom"
Henry says.

"Knock it off. Look, it's going to show the damn Kusari, not to mention the rest of Sirius, that Bretonia's not out of this fight yet."
Thomas closes the article and hops to his feet. The rather average looking young man raises his hands above his head in a stretch and gazes out the viewport.
Before him are alloy beams and thatchwork surrounding an enormous vessel.

[Image: screen221.jpg]

"She's almost done!"
Thom states with an excited inflexion in his voice.
"I can't believe Gateway raised enough to fund this; with the donations and taxes for the war effort increasing like they have an' all."

The burlier man, Henry, also stands, walks over to the window and stares as a smirk reaches the corner of his mouth.

"I can't believe she didn't get scrapped and turned into a Dunkirk."

"With all this money we're tossing at them, I'd hope BMM and the AF woudln't have the bollocks to jip..."
Pausing in mid-sentence to wave his hands around at the smoke floating through the air.
"God damnit Hen, why in the bloody frakkin' hell did you have to break those out now anyway?! Get that crap away from me!"

"Because. This is our time to shine, 'Ass'. 'sides, it's too fun to push your buttons."
Said Henry, mockingly.

Henry sidesteps and throws an arm around Thomas' neck, cigar in the same hand. Thom struggles a bit and then relaxes when he realizes it's useless, coughing sarcastically to emphasize his discomfort. Henry pulls the younger man away from the viewport and towards the door.

"Let's go meet the chump they designated Quartermaster, heard that announcement meeting's in an hour."

"The hell kind o' name is Kingdom anyway? Sounds like a pompous prick if you ask me."

"I didn't."

The automatic doors to the private observatory close with a comforting hiss.
II.

A small entryway opens up into a large conference room filled with people. At the large, long table running through the center; the top executives from Gateway as well as representatives from other businesses throughout Bretonia, seated at them. Several other men and women, obviously reporters, were standing near the walls. Most of them with holorecorders and other news equipment.

Henry and Thomas enter the room from one of the rear doors to the conference room and slip in rather quietly. At the same time as they enter, a frail looking gentleman stands from the table, walks to the head where a podium is set up and begins speaking.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your input and patience in listening to the, pardon me saying but we all know, tedious details involved in this meeting. As we've already announced the captain and first mate, the Ismay brothers, I believe it is time to announce the only other corporately designated employee. As the Deck Master, this gentleman will need to have extraordinary coordination skills. A man who needs to be both an entertainer and a true day to day manager. This man has done extraordinary things with his Ten years experience with the Orbital Spa and Cruise company. Every ship he has been aboard has had a 98% approval rating among even the most elite of travelers!"

The man takes a breath and nods to the men tending the door. The frail man continues.

"Ah here he is now, Mr. Kingdom Brunell!"

The main door to the conference room opens and in walks a portly figure. This man strides in with confidence and raises his large top hat and gives a small bow and a large smile. Jogging up the rest of the way to the head of the table where the podium is, Brunell clears his throat.

"Top of the day to everyone! Thank you for that pleasant introduction Mr Roberts, it's all a bit much for little ol' me. At any rate, I won't say much. I'd like to assure you businessmen and women that the Celtic will be the most well run ship in all of Bretonia and that you have my word that every one and everyone looking to spend their hard earned money, will scramble to get a ticket aboard this fine vessel!"

A short round of clapping followed, with many approving smiles.

"I appreciate the board giving me the opportunity to head up the operation of the Celtic. A liner of this grand scale means a lot to everyone involved, and even to Bretonia herself! Know that the passenger's experience will be the most exquisite experience of their lives. The crew of this ship has also been hand picked by myself from the thousands of applicants we interviewed."

Many positive murmurs rose up from those around the table. Thomas whispers to Henry.

"Look at this git... Thinks he's the bloody queen of the house."

"Calm down Thom, we've got to get along with this suckup... Least he's quite dapper."

Henry whispered sarcastically, referencing Brunell's giant top hat and outdated vest.

"Just because the company put him in this spot doesn't mea... "

"... that's the captain and the first mate right there I think!"
Said one of the reporters quite loudly.

A sea of heads turned to look directly at the Ismays, who were frozen in the spotlight of the combined stare.

"What an unexpected surprise."
Said Kingdom.
"Come on up here lads so I can shake your hands and give you a proper greeting then."

Reluctantly Henry and Thom approached the front of the conference room. Once there they both begrudgingly shook the new Deckmaster's hand and smiled for the reporters and execs.