Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Visit With Concordia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Aug. 31, 817 AS
Shasta Orbital Skyhook, Goddess Geode, Baffin System

Richard Sykes had been in many places throughout his thirty-some years of life. He'd been as far to the Systemic North as Omicron-80, his progress only impeded when he ran headlong into the infamous Omicron-80 Minefield, and as far to the Systemic South as Omega-47, where he frequently dropped off a hold of Red Hessians for his daily bread (if bread was translated as "ammunition and repairs"). He'd basked in the sky-blue heavens of Tau-37, fought Kusari patrols in Leeds and broken at least one blockade with the Bretonian Armed Forces. He'd seen many strange things and met many strange people.

Yet one thing consistently baffled him. That thing was the Baffin System. Half-shrouded in a fragment of The Barrier that had been cut off from Coronado, half-lit by its reddish-orange sun, the home system of the Temporary Autonomous Zoners was still a new place to him; despite his having travelled through it several times. As a matter of fact, Sykes hadn't ever bothered to turn his ship around and inspect the myriad planets in the system until the previous day. Sonoma Station and the Shasta Orbital Skyhook were completely unknown to him until a chance encounter with a Zoner convoy put them on his map.

Now, he was a regular. Shasta Orbital Skyhook, and especially Club Discordia (subtitle Sin's After Hours), became one of his favorite "points of fortification" (read: bars/restaurants/rest stops) before heading into the Taus. Not because the food was particularly remarkable - he still attributed the prestigious title of "Best Damned Restaurant in th' Sector" to one of the numerous steak joints on Houston - and not because he understood and connected with the people, but because of its closeness to forbidden Kusari systems. He rarely found himself venturing through them, but when he needed to head into the Taus or - god forbid - make the rare trip into the central Kusari systems, he docked in Shasta.

As he was right now.

Sykes guided his battle-scarred Spatial, the Seeker Six One (the original callsign of the vessel, now immortalized in stencilled white paint on the massive starboard delta wing), to an empty airlock on Shasta. The hiss of the ship's airlock bonding to the station's made Sykes' mountainous shoulders slump in relief - docking the behemoth of a Deep Space Explorer was a hassle on a whole new level. He stepped down off the bridge of Seeker Six One, releasing the clasp that kept his helmet secure to the pressure suit that he always wore "just 'n case ah need it". The face behind the obscuring helmet was that of a well-tanned Texan, with a well-kept, short shock of dark brown hair and a heavy growth of beard. He removed the pressure suit and dressed himself in his usual station attire - calf-length brown logging boots, blue jeans, a white t-shirt and black leather vest.

The COMM unit on his right wrist pinged. A reminder scrolled acrossed the screen - "meeting with girl" - and he grinned. For once, he didn't need the reminder. As he hauled himself through the circular airlock and into the umbilical connecting Seeker to the Shasta, Sykes raised the watch-like device to eye level and tapped on the "Send Message" button. A recording program buzzed to life, and Sykes spoke, his heavy Houston drawl coating every sentence.

"Message goin' t' Popess Concordia, a' th' Temp'rary Autonomous Zoners; vessel name Devil Unicorn," He grunted, clarifying the address of the message to the COMM unit. "Concordia, this's Richard Sykes. Ah'm glad t'see y'all're still alive, seein's this message says yer ship's recievin' th' signal." Here he guffawed briefly. "Anyhow," he continued, "Ah'm on th' Shasta Skyhook if'n y'all wanted t' come along an' visit like y'all said ya would. Ah'll be around fer a good while, so take yer time gettin' here. Sykes out."

He closed the COMM and sent the message, then stomped off down the docking arm, following direction signs to Club Discordia. He passed through several bazaars and shopping places, evidence of the mixed cultures that Zoners accomodated - men and women of every color, creed and walk of life had come to hock their wares at this station, and it created a brilliant set of contrasts that left Sykes a little dumbstruck and a little amazed every time. Ignoring the bazaar, Sykes made his way through several sets of elevators, stairwells and security checkpoints before he finally claimed a seat at Club Discordia.
A bit after Richard sat, a somewhat aged discordian showed up. He recognized him immediately as this "regular client with weird accent", stopping over in Bafflin' when he was around the Taus.

- "Hello Richard. Glad to see you alive and well."
The discordian, known as Mord, took a clean glass, a bottle of Texan ale, and gave them to Richard.

Fortunately, Mord was aware of the man preferences by now. He always had some troubles to understand him.
As he was serving Richard, he reminded the first time he met the guy.

It was a quiet night. The bar was empty and Mord fell asleep briefly on his counter. Suddenly someone shaked him softly and he realized a man was sitting at the counter.

- "Excuse me sir" He said, as he attempted to wake up totally.
- "N't a pr'blem fell'w"

Mord shaked his head, wondering if he was still dreaming.

- "Erm. Would you like something to drink, sir"
- "'y 'a'e is 'icha'd, a'd i wo'ld l'ke s'm' w'ine"

Mord raised an eyebrow
- "Uh... Excuse me sir, could you repeat, i think i'm not totally awaken"
- "c'n y'u gi'e 'e so'e t'x'n w'ne pl'as'"

He had to show him every beverage he had to serve him what he asked...
Anyway... With time, he was able to understand Richard better, even if it was not always easy.

Mord focused back in the present, and noticed Richard looking around, while sipping some wine.

- "Are you searching something, friend"
- "s'm'one 'ctu'lly." Richard smiled "I g't a m''t'ng w'th C'nc'rd'a"
- "Uh.. Come again?"
- "I'm s'pp's'd t' m''t C'nc'rd'a"

Mord tried to concentrate
- "I'm really sorry friend, i still can't get your accent" He chuckled softly

Richard showed the reminder on his Comm unit to Mord.

- "Oh right." Mord smiled "A lucky one you are... But... I have no idea where she is now...." He wondered "Maybe i could call her and see what she is doing?"
- "A'e, w'uld b' n'c'"
- "Alright, hold on"

Mord moved to the shed.
- "Request : F.N.O.R.D network; Reach Concordia."
A synthetic voice answered "Please wait while the destination can be reached..."

After several minutes, the communication channel is opening.
- "Concordia, bloody girl. I try to reach you since ten minutes..."
- "Oh! It's you Mord! Hey there, love!" Laughs can be heard over the comms "Oh well... Sorry i was busy..." more laughs

- "I don't want to know... Okay listen. There is Richard here waiting for you. Seems you have a meeting or something."
- "Richard you say?" A blank "Richard... Richard... Ah! Richard Maack?!" Some yells can be heard "Eh! Didn't know he was in Bafflin'! And you didn't even call me!"
- "I AM calling you, damn girl... And calm down, it's not Maack."
Another blank "Uh... Richard.... Who is that then?"

Mord can be heard mumbling
- "That texan guy. Oh come on! You are supposed to have a meeting with him right? And you don't even remember?"
Some laughs over the comms "Eh! Sorry Mord i was in the middle of something funny and lost the count of what i was supposed to do!"
- "Right.... So.... Will you come, or i tell the guy it's postponned of something" Mord can be heard sighing

- "Well.." Another blank "I could be in Bafflin' tomorrow i guess. I'm in California and about to take.... a nap... Right... a nap"
- "Again, i don't want to know. Alright anyway, i will let him know"
- "Bye bye sweet heart!" Some laughs and the communication stops

Mord comes back, whispering "That damn girl, she will drive me crazy one day"

- "Well i think you heard the communication, dear Richard? Concordia will be... probably... here tomorrow. So... I suggest you finish this wine and have some sleep at Shasta, friend...."
"Alright, Mord. Ain't never spent much time here anyhow. Might's well do a little lookin' 'round so long's ah'm here." Sykes nodded at Mord, then raised the wine bottle and drained the last of it in a few long draws. He placed the empty bottle back onto the bar, then placed a thirty-credit chip on the counter and ambled out of the room.

The freelancer couldn't for the life of him understand why Mord had such trouble understanding his accent. Given Baffin's close proximity to Coronado (and, by association, Liberty space), the old man must have had a few Texans pass through at one point or another. Hell, as a matter of fact, Sykes had personally encountered several Texans on the station itself - and some of them were even station staff! The only conclusion Richard could reach by logic was that the old man's hearing was going, an with it his ability to understand those with rather thick accents.

He made his way to Shasta's nearest tram station. Aside from exterior shuttles, elevators and walking, inter-station tram cars were the quickest ways to travel from one place to another on board most of the stations in Sirius. Granted, the problem with trams was that they ran on a schedule, and that schedule; like most things in Sykes' recent months of life, didn't seem to want to co-operate with him at all. So he arrived just after a tram left the station, and the next one going to the residential quadrant wasn't due for fifteen minutes. So he waited. As he waited, he poked through the station's news (which didn't have much to say at all), bought one of the Discordians' hokey pineal amulets for laughs, and finally fell into a doze. When the tram to the residentials arrived, Richard shuffled onto it amid a group of Zoners, and rode it out across the skyhook.

He arrived, as he usually did, at the local flop-house, a place where pilots in transit to other systems stopped and rested after getting a bite to eat and a few drinks under their belt. Sykes was one of the better-known pilots in the flop-house, and as such a bed was already laid out when he arrived. The freelancer relaxed into the bed and was asleep within minutes.
- Pueblo Bonito temple -

A somewhat aged woman in robes is admiring Bafflin' view.
she says "Neither the Podge nor the Hodge will prevail" as she watches the two planetoids far away.

Two men wearing robes as well nods "The polarity caused by the curse of Greyface may never hit us"
One of them starts to wave his arms.

The lady smiles softly "Oh stop it!"

She watches back the view by the window...

- "So you detected her ship?"
- "Yes... We think so. A pope loyal to the Polyfather detected her transponder in Tau 31."
The woman sighs "My foolish daughter. She finally came back.... Last time she came here, she was with a bloody captain. Allowing one of those Kusarians to come near Shasta Skyhook with a cruiser..." She makes her angry face
"What troubles will she brings with her this time... Do you know if she was alone?"

A pope shakes his hands "We have no idea, ksc."
The woman sighs again "And that damn John Henry, forgiving all the bloody mess she can make... That girl needs limits."

The other man asks "What do you want us to do?"
She keeps staring at Bafflin' view for a while.

"Leave her for now. I will holy spank her soon enough..."

- Baffin system -

11h pm. A tired fighter enters in Baffin. In its hold, a girl in underwears is having a nap.

The astrogation computer reports : "Destination reached... System Baffin... Jump terminated at coordinates D6... Standing by..."
Concordia yawns. "No... Not today, i'm sick... i will go to school tomorrow..."
"Searching entries in astromap matching "school"... None found. Please rephrase your request"

She opens an eye and stretches... "Uh..."
Concordia then moves to the cockpit. "Oh we arrived already! Sweet..." She yawns again and sets course to Shasta Skyhook.

She pulls her face suddenly "Errh.. Anyway.. Tea time" She moves to her hold and starts to prepare some tea then comes back with a mug.

As the Unicorn is cruising to Shasta she checks the incoming messages. "Now let's see...."
"Oh, lovely! Another letter from Clement!"
She wonders "I should go see him later. He offers me so nice things!" Concordia laughs.
"And... Again a love letter from Raphael" She pretends to be annoyed "Well... I can't say i'm surprised." She giggles.

A voice can suddenly be heard via the communicator "Discordian ship, fighter class, please identify yourself."
- "Hey there honeys! I'm Concordia!"
- "Oh Hello... It's Maxim"
- "Ah! Glad to hear you love! Still working in traffic regulation uh?"
- "Yea... Concordia, you never called me back"
She laughs "You would maybe no believe me, but i was about to! I promise!"
- "Really?"
- "Eh... You know i love you right?"
- "Right.. Anyway you are free to dock. Slot five"
- "Cheers, hon'!"

The Unicorn docks quickly to Shasta. Concordia then goes out, and laughs as she notices the technicians staring at her.
"Eh... Not my fault! I lost my clothes in a game i played in Cali..." She grins and moves to Sins' bar...