Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The ICMG, and our current activity levels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been getting a lot of questions about the ICMG recently.

Why aren't we around much anymore?
Is the faction dead?
Who's leading us?

These and many more are all difficult questions to answer, but I feel these three are some of the most important questions that have been asked, especially because there is confusion about these things within our own ranks.

Before I continue, please know that this is simply how I view things - I could be wrong on some of this, and this is just what seems to be true to myself, based on talking to members of the ICMG.

As for why we aren't around anymore, I'd say the main reason is just that the Outcasts and Corsairs made it kind of unplayable for us. Everyone already knows that there's absolutely no ingame RP in the Taus, but this isn't a Q_Q thread about that, because that's never going to change, ever.
The Corsairs were rarely around, when we were in the Omegas, but the few times they were, they ganked the living hell out of us. It was all indies, 99% of the time. So don't worry, 'sair OFs, we love you for giving us good RP when you were around.:ylove:

Is the faction dead? No, we are not dead. At least, I hope not. ICMG has gone through this phase of "sleeping" three times now, but this is the longest one so far. What subplots we tried to come up with to hold us over until 4.86 fell through fairly quickly, as they weren't things that EVERYONE could participate in. We were unable to advance the main plotline we had planned out for our group until 4.86 came out, and everyone was really excited about it - too excited, unfortunately. All we were doing was mining and getting ganked. There wasn't much RP in it anymore because mining areas are also the lowest RP areas in Disco. However, it is my hope (and, I should think, the hope of everyone else related to the ICMG, as well,) that when 4.86 comes out, we might return to our original glory.

Who's leading us? Well, this is somewhat of a moot question as, at the moment, there isn't really an "us," though Lobby/Anne officially passed the mantle on to me a while back, though that was long after this phase of inactivity started. So I guess that'd be me, though, as I said, it doesn't matter much at present.

For anyone who cared at all, I hope this cleared things up. If you have any more questions, you can ask them here or talk to me on Skype. But I never check my PMs, despite my OCD about things not being perfect, so don't bother trying to talk to me that way. I hope we'll be able to return soon, and may the good times roll.:yu:
Quote:Grigori: Let's get to work, comrades!
Smash: Smash do good for mining for comrades.
Rick Astley: Let me teach you a song, Smash...
Good times.
as I've told many, ever since the ICMG was founded about 1.75 years ago (by dudemanface and I), we've gone through cycles of 'coma' and 'rebirth'. each stage of which we've emerged stronger and more organized, with both a wave of fresh recruits and existing members reclaiming their past glory.

the ICMG usually goes into 'peaks' where mining, defense, and cooperation function flawlessly. But as kaiwren said, working in the hostile mining areas makes us vulnerable to piracy, and its that piracy that causes internal conflicts. For example, in retaliation of constant pirate attacks as the director of defense I'll step up the policy of 'hover around the pirates and wait for them to be caught in the act' to 'shoot on sight of any suspicion', however when I implemented the more aggressive policy we saw immediate results and far less piracy.

but then you get the downside. that being the view of the community and the self awareness of our own faction's standings. after waging war on various pirate factions to the point of over aggression, some members disagree with the policy fearing negative feedback from the community. this is a valid fear, but it tears us apart from the inside. instead of debates of how we should balance 'OMG PIE-RAT OLOL EGAGAINH!' with keeping the community on our side, we get into huge arguments about whose' the lolwut. then we get members who ragequit causing a cascade of harsh feelings and more ragequiters... its not fun to mine with a group of people who hate each other.

but after awhile we usually reconcile, which gives the ICMG its trademark coma periods between hatred and apology.

also its partly myself to blame for my inactivity... (and fallout: New Vegas). but in the end remember, the ICMG will always exist and pick up its pieces, whether its a whole army of fresh eager miners and pilots, or just me and my bud Dude man face chilling out for old time sake, there's no immanent fear of the ICMG disbanding.

keep your pickaxes sharp, until next time my miner comrades!
Well, to make a long answer short, seeing your ships around Java made me doubt you weren't (goingg to be activity) anymore.

You might be not as active as before, but you show more activity than other factions. But good to know about that cycle. ;)
' Wrote:Well, to make a long answer short, seeing your ships around Java made me doubt you weren't (goingg to be activity) anymore.

You might be not as active as before, but you show more activity than other factions. But good to know about that cycle.;)
Feldie did indeed sum it up pretty well. The ICMG has gone through this phase quite a few times now, and about being more active than some official factions (cough cough) I'll just say...

We know.:nyam:
Yeah, I myself have been inactive... and technically, still am... for quite a while. I haven't been around long enough to know about the cycle though, but what I will point out is the problems which mean I don't particularly want to play...

Lack of cooperative roleplay (Especially in the Taus) - As was said above, with the Taus being a mining sector, they also get some of the least roleplay. The best roleplay infact, comes from our pirate friends... who promptly blow us (Me.) up afterwards.

My opinion actually, is we should move out of the Taus and down towards Bretonia, especially at the start of 4.46, in attempt to get a better roleplaying system and reduce pirate raids.
And try to get roleplay in Dublin? Heh, I've mined both Tau and Dublin. Tau pirates usually roleplay a bit more... loldreads being the notable exception (but those ain't pirates anyway). You could move to the Omega's and peek around there, but of late, Kruger seems to try and blame RHA activity on the independant miners.
Dublin is usually good for some roleplay if you put the effort in to start some up. But I agree, Tau pirates are far more fun:D

Omegas tend to be quite empty, so I wouldn't recommend them for roleplay. Perhaps down towards Leeds, then extend branches into Tau and Dublin seperately? There's also Beryllium in Cambridge. I'm honestly not sure.
Ah well, guess I'll keep piloting my ICMG ships. See you gents around.
Quote:[28.11.2010 12:20:10] ICMG[SL69G]Magnesite: /me goes powertrading for mako.

Now that really wasn't what I wanted to read in system chat. Really doesn't put your group into a good light, especially not if knowing the background about it was a Mako and 2 Zephyrs ganking a group of outcast fighters and gunboats until the outcast cap support showed up. If you've brought it upon yourself, don't be sore about it afterwards.
Pages: 1 2