Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Amaterasu Storm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This part is pertinent to Amaterasu's story, as the person she "used" to be was the mother of Alexandria Kasumi Storm.

FEEDBACK

[color=#ab82ff]Excerpt from Alexandria Kasumi Storm'€™s
The Loss'€¦
804 A.S.
Markus laughs as his daughter lands on the beam, perfectly balanced. She then takes a few quick steps, then does a flip twisting in mid-air, landing facing the opposite direction, flips backwards, landing on her hands completing the flip to land on her feet, springing into a double back flip with a one and a half twist, landing with the agility of a cat. He claps at her performance. '€œThat was great, you are getting better

She walks over, and grabs a bottle from the ice chest, opens it and drinks half of it greedily, the flavor was pleasant, but the nutrients, and other additives is what she needs. She knew she was different, but her parents weren'€™t telling her. She was stronger than she should be, her reflexes were faster. Her balance was nearly perfect. '€œDad, I know you'€™re keeping something from me. I'€™ll figure it out eventually, you might as well tell me now.'€

Smiling, then patting her head, '€œWell when you figure it out, you'€™ll understand, until then, I'€™m hungry, let'€™s go have lunch.'€

Half glaring then a smile breaks out on her face, '€œFine, is mom going to join us?'€

'€œI don'€™t know, she should have been here already, I'€™ll call her while you'€™re getting cleaned up. So go shower, I'€™ll meet you out front, it'€™s a nice day.'€

A short time later'€¦

Walking out the front doors of the Recreation center, she sees her dad, sitting in the middle of the walkway, his comm. laying on the ground beside him, she can hear him crying. Rushing over next to him, she bends down putting a hand on his shoulder '€œDad, what'€™s wrong?'€

He looks up, his eyes red, '€œThe research vessel your mother served on, has gone missing. They recovered an emergency beacon, but no signs of the ship.'€

'€œSo mother is unaccounted for?'€ She thinks for a moment, '€œThe ships logs, were they recovered from the emergency beacon?'€

Shaking his head, '€œno, the beacon was damaged to badly to recover any logs.'€ He closes his eyes, a quiet prayer can almost be heard.

Looking thoughtful, she looks up at the stars, in a barely audible voice, '€œI will find you mother. Wherever you are, I will find you, and bring you home. Even if it takes eternity.'€ She then ponders why she doesn'€™t feel sad, lost, hurt. Then turns to her father. '€œLet'€™s go home, you should rest.'€ She picks up his comm. '€œConnect to Captain Westin, urgent priority'€ She waits but her dad doesn'€™t move.

'€œHey Markus, what'€™s so urgent?'€

'€œHello Captain, this is Alex, could you send transportation to the Recreation center on base, we'€™ve received bad news about my mother, and I don'€™t think dad should drive.'€

'€œOh, just a moment'€, in the background Westin gives an unintelligible order. A minute passes, a barely audible '€œdamn'€ is heard over the comm. then something a bit more commanding, another minute passes. '€œOk I'€™m sending a shuttle down. Are you ok?'€

'€œYes sir, I'€™m fine. But dad, well, I'€™m worried about him.'€ Looking over at her dad, sitting still, crying. '€œHe'€™s taking it hard, could you..'€

Politely cutting her off, '€œThe doctor is on the shuttle, eta 10 minutes, I'€™ve already viewed the report of the incident. It wasn'€™t directed to me, or I'€™d have seen it sooner. I'€™m sorry, the navy will do what it can to get to the bottom of what happened. For now just stay where you are.'€

'€œYes sir. We'€™re near the entrance of the Recreation Center. Out'€

'€œUnderstood, watch your dad, he needs you now more than ever. Out.'€ the comm. is disconnected.

She sits down beside her dad, leaning up against him, he pulls her close, crying on her shoulder. '€œDad, they don'€™t know what happened to her, she could be alive.'€

Looking her in the eyes, '€œNo, I feel it, deep down, she'€™s gone, I can'€™t explain it. They said the attack happened 2 days ago.'€

Now she starts feeling something, but it'€™s not sorrow, it'€™s anger. '€œSomeone will pay for this.'€ She just leans closer to her dad, as her anger melts and she starts to cry too.

A shuttle lands, nearby, before the thrusters are even shutdown the door opens and a tall man in white comes dashing out. Moments later he stops by the two. Alex looks up at the Doctor, then back to her dad. '€œHe needs sleep, and time.'€

The doctor nods, '€œOk, help me get him back to the shuttle, we'€™ll get him aboard ship. We'€™ll have to make arrangements for you though.'€

Grabbing her gym bag and standing up, pulling her dad up with her. He'€™s responding more like a robot, letting himself be lead, pulled along. '€œI'€™ll call my grandfather, he needs to know what happened anyways.'€

The two of them lead her father into the shuttle, where the doctor gives him something, then straps him in. Alex takes a seat, straps in, then using her dads comm. contacts her grandfather. Only 5 minutes pass, she disconnects from the call. '€œWell doctor, my grandfather said he'€™d work something out, and he'€™d forward the information to Captain Westin within 24 hours.'€
Amaterasu Storm'€¦ 804 A.S.
Report #: 15-A73-4465

Subject to be apprehended alive if possible. Assume survivor of incident report #: 12-G77-0038-A
Assume subject infested, or otherwise controlled by hostile forces.

Artifact #: B7-D8418-U High priority retrieval, assume direct exposure to artifact extremely dangerous. Artifact needed for additional study into artificial production of Cardamine Grass.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Amaterasu Storm
Position: Lead Science Officer

Vessel Classification: Cryer Research Vessel on loan to Liberty Security Force

Current Mission: Top Secret, Classified: Restricted List.
Current Mission Area: Omicrons, further details classified.
Length of Mission: Approximately 2 months.

Classified
Level 5 Clearance
Required

Classified Logs, last update received 804 A.S. 1 week into Mission.

Begin playback'€¦ Day 7

Well, today we were studying the effects of Cardamine on some of the nomad materials. Minimal effect noticed. Some growth acceleration, but only for limited duration, probably some safety feature to prevent rampant uncontrolled or undirected growth. Interesting note: One of the Artifacts has a profound effect, but due to one specimens growth, releasing some type of lethal virus, but only in close proximity, the Captain has ordered the Artifact locked in the Quarantine chamber. All research with the artifact is restricted to that area, with full marine squad, in armor to be present during any experiments. The limited equipment in the quarantine area makes data analysis slow and difficult.

So far all attempts to create an artificial environment to grow Cardamine have failed. For some reason, something in the genetic code of Cardamine causes a breakdown in the seed, preventing germination. Current supplies of Cardamine grass, held in stasis are fine, but dies off within hours when brought out of stasis.

Oh well, it'€™s the end of the shift, I need to go get something to eat, and compile the days analysis'€™s. Hears to hoping for a breakthrough tomorrow. Can'€™t wait to get back to working with the artifact, it'€™s comforting in a way.

Playback Ended.

Begin Playback'€¦ Day 8

I'€™ve been hearing things, voices, seeing things, like visions. I don'€™t know what it is, but they helped me make a breakthrough.

One apparently live nomad specimen, only about a 3'€ oblong, almost egg shaped, but alive. Grown from a small amount of nomad remains we have onboard. Energy output when subjected to natural unfiltered sunlight increases by over 200%, when compared to light filtered of radiations harmful to humans. Cardamine grass more than doubles that output.

But, the entire staff has been put under medical quarantine until medical can determine our mental stability from prolonged exposure to the artifact. The Captain has locked the artifact in the secure hold. Logged it as dangerous. I must find a way to get back to it, I'€™m sure we can make another breakthrough if I can just get access to the artifact.

Playback Ended.

Medical Officers Log
Day 8 - 05:37 - Medical Office

Subject: Storm, Amaterasu
Condition: Unknown

Patient is in full quarantine. Has gone into a comatose state, skin is darkening, as if it'€™s not getting enough blood flow, or nutrients. I'€™ve ordered extra IV nutrients, glucose and fluids, along with a full anti-biotic regimen. Whatever made her sick, apparently she'€™s fighting it, otherwise I think she'€™d be dead already.

Day 8 - 13:23 - Observation

Patient condition is worse, I'€™ve ordered additional nutrients, minerals, vitamins, you name it. We have 4 IV'€™s in her now, and her body is sucking them up. The interesting thing is that all waste fluids show no sign of the nutrients, and lots of toxins, like her body is using what we put in and cleansing itself. But what could be using up everything we put in her, and still seem to cause her to look so sickly.

*The doctor taps a comm. code.*

'€œYes doctor'€ A young nurse appears on the screen. Her face a little strained, but otherwise calm.

'€œPlease add a calorie booster to Amaterasu Storms IV'€™s'€ He pauses to think, staring at the patient. '€œStart with 5,000 additional calories, with 25% of it in a high protein form. Increment this regimen by 1,000 calories with every IV bag change until the patient stops deteriorating.'€

The nurse'€™s eyes visibly bulge for a moment '€œSir, that'€™ll kill her.'€ She nearly squawks.

'€œShe'€™s dying already, but I have a hunch. Do it under my authorization.'€ The doctor cuts the comm. before the nurse can attempt to argue further.

*He stares out at the patient a few minutes longer and goes back to his log*

My hunch is that somehow she'€™s burning an immense amount of energy. Hopefully, if that'€™s the case, by increasing her caloric intake, we can stop her from deteriorating further, and with further tweaking reverse it.

Day 8 - 18:51 - Quarters

Patient status: Stable

Patients Skin has gotten some color back. Her pulse has returned to a normal if slightly elevated level, and her weight has increased by 20 pounds. This is good, considering she'€™d lost almost 50 pounds previously. I have altered the caloric intake to be 35% high protein based, and another 10% high glucose based.

Day 8 - 23:11 - Observation

Patient has stabilized, pulse is high but steady. Blood Pressure is also high, but steady. Skin color is good, but clammy, patient is sweating a great deal also. Body Temperature is dangerously high, patient has been wrapped in cryo blankets. Her temp fluctuates between 103 and 104. She is gaining weight, now 50 pounds overweight from last physical.

Day 9 - 09:00 '€“ Mess Hall

John: '€œHey doc, come join us.'€

Doctor Slater: '€œHey John, I guess, I could use the company.'€ Deep sigh.

Reggy: '€œDoc, you don'€™t sound like that cheery guy we'€™re used to'€¦ What'€™s up?'€

Doc: '€œJust one of my patients'€¦'€

John: '€œOh, did someone come down with something bad?'€

Doc: '€œYou could say that. One of the. Well the Lead scientist working on the artifact in the High Security Research Block, seems to have contracted something.'€

Reggy: '€œYou mean Doc Ama?'€ his voiced was loud enough to hear on the other side of the mess hall. Eyes turned, to look, several marines got up and headed there way.

Doc: '€œShe'€™s stable, but in all honesty, I don'€™t know how she'€™s lived this long. And so far every test we'€™ve run has come back different. The labs are running full diagnostics, which will take 2 days to complete. Until then we can'€™t even be sure what'€™s going on inside her body.'€

A small crowd of people was forming around the table.

Reggy: '€œDamn, Doc Ama was always so nice. I hope she pulls through, you might get some visitors Doc. A lot of the marines liked her. She treated us well and with respect.'€

John: '€œYeah. We all trusted her, we could talk to her, bounce our problems off of her, knowing it'€™d remain between us. She'€™s kept many of us sane out here doc.'€

Doc: '€œYeah, I know. I'€™d expect the doctorates in: Xenobiology, Xenopsychology, Genetic Engineering, Molecular Biology.'€ His tone raise a bit, '€œAND a full medical degree.'€ Then his tone lowers sound curious and unsure at the same time. '€œBut I was surprised to find out she had a Masters in Psychology.'€ Shakes his head '€œShe'€™s more qualified to be a doctor than I am, and almost half my age'€ He finally smiles.

Reggy: '€œDoc Ama was good people sir. She watched after us, even spent off duty time training with us grunts. She'€™s pretty good at hand-to-hand.'€ He laughs

Several marines in the crowd around laugh, and more than a few groans can be heard.

John: '€œWell if you can doc, keep us grunts informed. We'€™ll all be thinking of her, and in our own way hoping for her safe recovery.'€

A small chorus of agreements was heard all around. Doc Slater just learned something new about his patient. Even though her specialty was alien life forms, she enjoyed the company of others. She gathered her strength from those around her.

Doc: '€œI sure will. But given the circumstances I don'€™t'€™ have high hopes. If she pulls through this, it'€™ll be a miracle.'€

Reggy: '€œIf anyone can doc. Ama can. If not for herself, for her family. Until death takes her, she has a chance.'€

Doc Slater just nods, then grins. '€œThanks guys, I needed that, I hope she pulls through, but even if she does, she'€™ll probably remain in quarantine to be transferred to a fully staffed and equipped facility planet side after this mission is over.'€

John looks a big glum, while Reggy just seems indifferent. The marines all around though give of a slight hint of anger.

Doc: '€œSo, these eggs actually taste good, so it couldn'€™t have been one of you grunts that cooked them.'€

Everyone around the table laugh as Doc starts in on his breakfast, and the crowd dissipates back to their tables, or to duty.

Day 10 - 14:23 '€“ Observation

Patient condition has improved a bit. Weight has leveled off at 220 pounds, approximately 88 pounds greater than on her previous physical checkup. Full body swelling minimal, seems more like an allergic reaction now. Brain wave patterns still minimal, but still normal for comatose patients. All but one of the IV drips have been removed, whatever was causing her to take in so much before has stopped. The labs think they found the contaminant and said they should be able to start doing full workups by morning. Her temperature has steadied out at 103 degrees. That still worries me, but again, now it'€™s almost classic signs of an allergy. Continual monitoring of patient, and once the labs are back on top of things, regular blood tests to be performed.

Day 22 - 02:57 - Observation

Rubbing his sleep tired eyes, Doc Slater stares out at his patient. She'€™s awake, calm, but not very talkative. Quarantine procedures means self-contained suits when interacting directly with the patient, that could be part of it, she feels isolated and is in a bad mood. He laughs lightly and says in a whisper. '€œI know I'€™d be uncooperative talking to someone with a silver reflective faceplate in a white suit.'€ He turns to the terminal to review the past 2 weeks data. The most recent test results confirm without a doubt, that Doctor Amaterasu Storm'€™s DNA has been altered. '€œI just can'€™t shake the feeling that I'€™m missing something.'€

Nurse: '€œDid you say something doctor?'€

Doc Slater: Looking up. '€œOh sorry, just talking out loud. Have the lab boys been able to come up with anything else?'€

Nurse: '€œNot yet doctor. They say that every time they run a test, on the same sample, it comes back with slightly different results, almost like the sample is changing constantly. I don'€™t understand that stuff.'€ She looks out the window at the patient. '€œActually she'€™d be the one to ask, it'€™s her specialty, and her lab.'€

Doc just laughs. '€œYeah, let'€™s just ask her to tell us what'€™s wrong with her DNA and confirm she'€™s no longer human, which would then force the captain to put her in the brig, if he could safely remove her from quarantine, at which point this mission would be over now, and she'€™d be on her way to spending life as a human test subject.'€

The nurse scowls: '€œI just said she'€™s the best to ask, I am not liking where this is going either.'€

Doc: '€œSorry, just a little on edge.'€ He turns back around to look out the window one more time before heading back to his quarters to get some much needed sleep.

Day 22 - 10:27 - Office

Spent 15 minutes talking to Doctor Amaterasu. Speech seemed normal, except for the odd placement of words, and occasionally use of third person references to self. She has an appetite right now, but I didn'€™t see any issues so she'€™s being served food from the messhall. Vitals are normal, except for an elevated temperature.

Lab Reports finally came back:

Genetic Anomalies in subject DNA, more tests being run to isolate and determine cause, effect, etc.

Bone density increased, skin thickness and durability increased. Blood Pressure elevated, brain scans currently show a 50% increase in brain activity while at rest, and increasing steadily.

Body size doesn'€™t appear to have changed, but body mass has increased.

Subject weight still higher than previous physical exam, but seems to have steadied around 180 pounds.

Schedule multiple tissue samples to be sent to lab.

Day 24 - 18:07 - Office

A clattering sound is heard in the quarantine bay, an alarm goes off as the observation window is cracked, then a heavy piece of medical equipment crashes through the observation window, Amaterasu steps through the broken window into the room, it'€™s time to move on'€¦

Captains Emergency Log: Mission Day 24

The core science team that was quarantined after strange behavior, and evidence from science logs confirming their contamination, has attacked crew members, assaulted the Secure Lockup, quite successfully I might add. Their coordination was almost as if they were one mind. About half of them were killed, but the rest made it into the Lockup. After the marines assaulted the lockup, killing the remaining scientists, it was determined that one is loose on the ship still and the artifact is gone. Commander Amaterasu Storm cannot be located. How she'€™s hiding we do not know, but a thorough sweep is being made. Fully Armed Marine squads are in key locations while the remaining crew assists in the sweep. Engineering, weapons, sensors, and the bridge are secure. All current data is being transmitted to the closest Secure Relay station, per Security Protocol Alpha 55982. All 10 data drones are being prepped, and will maintain a constant real time data connection to the computers. If anything happens to this ship, hopefully at least one of the drones will get through.

Playback Ended.

Inquisitor's Emergency Log

*Battle chatter, explosions and screams heard in background*

All hands abandon ship. Repeat all hands abandon ship.

This is Captain Ross, the ship is under attack by unidentified vessels. They came out of nowhere. I believe them to be Nomad in origin, weapons fire matches Nomad profiles. Engines were taken out in the first attack. Amaterasu Storm still unaccounted for. It'€™s only been 45 minutes since the scientists assaulted the lockup. But various acts of sabotage have been detected throughout the ship, mostly internal sensors, probably how she was hiding without being detected.

*Large explosion heard in background*

Ross: '€œWhat the hell? Report!'€

Engineering over comms: '€œSir, we just lost primary lifesupport, internal explosion, I looks to be sabotage, no response, I think they are'€¦'€ *Screams can be heard that are suddenly cut off, a new voice steady and clear comes on the comms* '€œThis is Corpral Martins, we'€™ve been boarded, very fast'€ *full burst of weapons fire heard* '€œdamn missed. We need help down here, 3 marines down, the rest of us scattered, I can see Seargant Jacks over guarding the hatch to the power core, I'€™ll try t'€¦ '€œ *A hissing growl is heard just before a blare of static and the comms go dead.*

Tactical, Launch 5 of the data drones, set the remaining 5 to launch upon eminent destruction of the ship. Everyone clear the bridge, get to the escape pods.

Ross: '€œComputer this is Captain Abraham Ross, initiate Self Destruct Sequence, protocol Omega 12-Alpha-3. Verbal countdown Ship Wide Comms.'€

Computer: '€œSelf Destruct Activation requires confirmation by 2nd senior officer.

James: '€œComputer this is Tactical Officer James Swan, Confirm Self Destruct Sequence Protocol Omega 12-Beta-7.

Computer: '€œSelf Destruct Confirmed. Verbal countdown Ship Wide Comms. 10 minutes until Self-Destruct.'€

James: '€œDamn. Sir, every escape pod that has launched has been destroyed. And the remaining pods are offline.'€

Ross: *sighs* '€œComputer, lockout fail-safe'€™s. Switch to Destruct Protocol Gamma. Sub protocol 7A. No data or equipment can be captures by the enemy.'€

Computer: '€œPlease confirm termination of remaining personal aboard '€˜Inquisitor, Democritus Research Vessel'€™. Data drones will be launched with final log update upon confirmation.'€

Ross: *Voice very calm* Protocol Gamma 7A confirmed. We have been boarded, overrun, and there is no hope for survival. We cannot let anyone be taken prisoner by the enemy.'€

James: '€œAs Tactical Officer I concur. Protocol Gamma 7A confirmed'€

Computer: '€œProtocol Gamma 7A confirmed. Self-Destruct in 10 seconds. Data Drones Launching in 5 seconds.'€

Ross: '€œWell I hope they get the data. Maybe something good will come of it.'€

James: '€œIt was good working with you Sir'€ *James Salutes*

Computer: '€œDrones Launch'€¦'€ *A large Explosion, the computer cuts out, all terminals on the bridge go dark*

James: '€œDamn'€

Comms: '€œEngineering here, the computer core just went down, internal explosion. Back'€¦ *Another explosion rocks the ship, this one obviously external as the comms go silent.

Log terminated by drone launch'€¦ No more data received. End Playback'€¦

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End report.

File report under Ammended Report #: 15-A73-4465A
Lost with all hands
No survivors

Data drones lost

Forward original data to Operations branch, Level 3 Clearance.
Upon Confirmation of Receipt from Operations Branch, wipe all data received from Cryer Reseach Vessel Inquisitor after Personal Log, Amaterasu Storm, Day 7.

Route all Inquiries about Cryer Research Vessel to Report #: 15-A73-4465A

Deputy Advisor
Roberts, Gwen C.