Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Rebirth, Return, and Revenge: The Three "R"s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gahhh, f***, my head...

Where the hell-- Omega-3?

Who the-- Kane, Harold Kane...

What-- I'll figure that out later.

I looked out on the view of space. Time had passed since I last saw the region; almost three months, according to the computer. My Sabre was all still in neat order. I guess it could have been worse. I should have been dead, looking back on it.. It had been a long time since I had eaten or drank water or...

Hey, look... a bottle of bourbon and a glass.

I poured myself a drink and took a sip. It was a little old, but that's always good. My headache dulled a little bit. I took another sip and sat the glass down, flipping the switch to turn on the communication system of the ship. I wiped the film of dust off the screen and sighed audibly.

"Taskmaster Kane to VCS Metropolis, come in... ...Metropolis, this is Kane, do you read... ...Petrucci, LaBrie... ...anyone...?"

This can't be good.

"Taskmaster Harold Kane to all Vagrant Raiders ships in the area, do you copy, over."

Crap.

"This is Harold Kane to any ship in the system, please respond."

I waited through the silence, taking a sip every time I heard static. My glass was gone in seconds. I sat it down and closed my eyes. I jolted awake as a gravelly voice crackled through the near-dead comm link.

"Harold? It's Vadim. I'm en route to your location. Stay put."

Petrov.

Thank god.
"So what the hell have you been up to?" I said to Petrov, who was across from me at our table in the bar of Freeport 1. "I haven't seen you for months, I was starting to get worried."

Vadim sighed and looked at me. "The Children... disbanded. Keller's been gone for a while, Harold. We haven't seen him in a long time," he sighed, taking a sip from his glass. The green liquid sloshed as he set its container back down on the square table. "I haven't heard from anyone in a good two weeks, to be honest. It's like everyone I knew just... disappeared. And then you showed up, and now we're here." He chuckled. "So, what happened to you, mister I'm-too-cool-to-pirate-my-way-so-I'll-just-float-in-space-for-a-while?"

What did happen to me?

"I have no clue," I muttered. "Last thing I remember was the Metropolis and the Silver Lining behind Planet Sprague... and then a flash of light... and... that's it."

"What about that girl of yours?"

Girl?

"Girl?"

Vadim's eyes widened. He knocked back the rest of his drink and called for another. "You know," he said, "that girl you were with. Lena or something? I don't remember, it was a while ago..."

Lena?

"I don't have the slightest... clue... what you're talking about..."

He stared at my face. I knew what he was thinking. He was trying to figure out if I was lying or not.

"You're serious," he mumbled. "No memory of her whatsoever."

I shook my head in response and took another sip of my drink. "Nope, nothing. So, what are you doing these days? More mercenary work?" I grinned.

He nodded. "Something like that. Look, I have to go... it's a long flight back to base and I should get going as soon as possible. Nice to see you again, Kane." He stood up, slapped his hand on my shoulder, and walked off towards the flight deck.

I looked out on the view of the trade lanes. A Navy Guardian had launched from the station and docked with the lane to Cambridge.

Can't be...