Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Why bother helping anyone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Altejago, what you should ask yourself is: "Why bother bothering helping anyone?"

After you do that, you should also ask yourself: "Why am I bothering other people about me trying not to bother bothering helping anyone?"

As you can see, it gets more complicated so it's best just to have fun and not to think about things you have no effect on, and which are, after all, the most definitely irrelevant.

Go rent a video or something. Hm. This is a 80s sentence. Go download a video then.
' Wrote:Sanction reports suck the humanity from your soul.

I guess actively helping the unwilling has the same effect. I found that I can be a realy helpful player - once one's able to translate his questions to be his character's. Nowadays, I just value my time on the server more to use it for ooc communications.
Quote:Altejago, what you should ask yourself is: "Why bother bothering helping anyone?"

After you do that, you should also ask yourself: "Why am I bothering other people about me trying not to bother bothering helping anyone?"

As you can see, it gets more complicated so it's best just to have fun and not to think about things you have no effect on, and which are, after all, the most definitely irrelevant.

Go rent a video or something. Hm. This is a 80s sentence. Go download a video then.

Ha, trolling another forum page there Joker? You seem to be the only one bothered, my ignorant little friend. You didn't need to read, and you were most certainly unwelcome to post. This conversation merely raises questions to all about such unfair cases. So why not keep your opinions for me to yourself, it is most unwelcome.

As for your comment Coin, at least there is someone here who thinks along the same lines as me. I am by no means near as qualified as you have told us you are, however I have spent considerable time, including living, with someone living with such disabilities and can confidently say all are not the same. From Aspurgus to full blown Autism, everyone one of them suffers differently. I do believe with the amount of work the admins have right now, a judiciary and a fair trial would be well time consuming.

Perhaps something may be done in regards to this, however I do not see it happening in the foreseeable future.
On the topic of why should we help...

Because we can and should. Simple as that.

Right, Altejago. So you try to help someone out who due to a mental condition is prone to repeatedly violate 3.1 and will end up permabanned regardless? That person is simply not capable of playing on Disco then, and you're wasting your time trying to make it happen. Just like folks who can't speak english will be removed from this community, so will folks who blow up emotionally along with their ships.

There's no flag for the admins to see a person as autistic. I don't think it's fair to expect of them to know this from the thousands of individual players here. They saw a rule violation which someone complained about - acted on it. Peeps with a short fuse should not play in Disco, simple as that.
A court of reviews for sanctions is about as sensible as trying to make a fire out of water.

Sanctions take enough time already.
I'm not an Admin or anything like that and I have trouble with getting enough time to devote to here.
Any court of review would be completely idiotic as sanctions can already be appealled in their own threads.
There's also no more evidence that could really be garnered from anyone aside from the technical aspects in the server logs, which the Admins look at for sanctions anyway.

The sanction system isn't a great system, but it's the best possible right now.

When it comes to sanctions relative to certain people.
Rules are there for a reason. No one can trust another person's word on the internets unless they really know them. The countless number of people that cross the Admin's desks are not usually that well known to the Admins.
This, alongside a history of abuse by players, doesn't promote any trust at all and usually for good reason.

As Aeternus said, if a person simply cannot obey the rules, they shouldn't play here. That goes for anyone, ranging from those with mental handicaps to those who simply don't give an arse about the rules.
' Wrote:Right, Altejago. So you try to help someone out who due to a mental condition is prone to repeatedly violate 3.1 and will end up permabanned regardless? That person is simply not capable of playing on Disco then, and you're wasting your time trying to make it happen. Just like folks who can't speak english will be removed from this community, so will folks who blow up emotionally along with their ships.

There's no flag for the admins to see a person as autistic. I don't think it's fair to expect of them to know this from the thousands of individual players here. They saw a rule violation which someone complained about - acted on it. Peeps with a short fuse should not play in Disco, simple as that.

This. I mean it sounds cold or whatever but the truth is whe one has a disability one has to accept there are certain things you cannot participate in by virtue of that - and I speak from personal experience.

Discovery's credit, or rather the admin team's credit is that they have consistent rules which equally apply to everyone - it can be a double edged sword, but I'd rather that than a litigious and convoluted system of reviews, appeals, etc.
Hello.

I just read the sanction thread. I don't actually see any wrong admin behaviour. He didn't say "My kid is OK". He said "my kid understands the rules about language" and "When my kid does something wrong, he gets the same punishment as anyone else".

As you yourself said, your friend needs to learn why bad language is inappropriate here first, so that seems to justify the Admin in saying the first. Everyone there also stated the reluctance of reducing the punishment - that corresponds to the second bit.

He also said that his kid knows he should walk off when angered ... not that he is always able to, just that he knows it and is expected to do so - and is held accountable like everyone else when he fails.
He actually mentions a case where in RL the kid failed to manage that and is dealing with consequences ... where again did you see that the kid "does things normally" ?

It's too bad about the evidence, he should have sent you that if your friend has trouble with it himself. You can still ask your friend to forward the PM to you, or ask the reporting person to send the images to you.

I really hope you will help your friend to manage a fulfilling experience on the server. He will have his second chance when he serves the ban - like everyone else. It is definitely hard when everyone needs to learn the hard way, but that's how it goes around here. (Edit: Yes, it is cold. But it cannot be otherwise in the environment of Internet anonymity, or after this we would suddenly have a server full of autists. At least in sanctions.) I am sure that nobody will hold grudges against him or pass judgement for his condition - and if they do, they will be dealt with by the admins.

Yours is an honourable effort and I sincerely wish you good luck.

TL;DR
* The admin didn't say his relative does OK, just that he has to deal with consequences like anyone else.
* Too bad about the evidence, try to get it elsewhere
* Good luck
If you don't like the way things are then fix them yourself. Nobody else will consider anything you say more than a rant around here. (Which isn't to say I agree with you either).

*wanders off to work on his mod*
Quote:If you don't like the way things are then fix them yourself. Nobody else will consider anything you say more than a rant around here. (Which isn't to say I agree with you either).

*wanders off to work on his mod*

Thank you, for your completely pointless and unrelated post.

Do you do many pointless things?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5