Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: From: IMG; Subject: Trade lane
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
**** Incoming Transmission ****
To: Ageira, general communications; DSE, general communications
Subject: Trade lane inquiry, Dublin system
Priority: Low
Encryption: Civilian/Light (// Hackable by intelligence agencies, Lanehackers)

To whom this may concern,

My name is Johnathan Sanders, director of research and development for the Independent Miners Guild. I am calling your companies in regards to an old, now seemingly derelict tradelane in the Dublin system. The lane nodes are still present within the Dublin system itself. The first one is clearly visible from Hood, leading into the Hood asteroid field. The derelict lane ends near some sort of wrecked depot - I suspect this was one of the BMM facilities that was destroyed following the Founders Day revolt.

The facility itself holds little interest to us, but with the Bretonian Armed Forces pushing merchants away from it's battleship, Essex, the Guild sees an opportunity to establish the Hood as the primary trading ground within the Dublin system. That could use a little extra push, in our opinion. A trade lane from Hood towards the jumpgate to New London would go a long way towards this. It would also give the Armed Forces a much shorter travel time to move between Essex and Hood, one of the regular patrol paths, and also make the Dublin race track more accessible to the general public.

The question thus becomes... Can this derelict lane be moved and reconstituted, and, given the length, expanded upon? And what would be the costs incurred in making this happen? I'm not yet requesting this in an official capacity on behalf of the Guild. It would greatly depend on the cost wether or not we could make this happen. So, basically, I am asking for a price quote for a single trade lane, point to point:
The distance is roughly 32 KM. Given an average lane spacing of 8KM in open space (from observations) this would end up requiring five lane nodes. I believe the derelict lane to consist of four, though I can't speculate on their state.

Regards,
- Johnathan Sanders

**** Transmission Closed ****
***INCOMING TRANSMISSION***
[Image: Ageira-r.png]

<This is an automated message.>

Thank you for contacting Ageira Technologies. Your message has been sent to the relevant company executives, and they will reply directly to you shortly.

Thank you again for your patience.

<End.>
***TRANSMISSION TERMINATES***
***INCOMING TRANSMISSION***

Mr Sanders,

My sincere apologies for the delays in replying to your message. During this time, the Board of Directors has been examining and discussing this request.

Unfortunately, we deemed that this project is currently unfeasible. While it is certainly an interesting idea, the old trade lanes in the asteroid field are mere husks - frames for the core technology which has since been stripped or destroyed. Since Trade Lanes are intended to be near-permanent installations, those specific models are no longer compatible with our current technological system. We cannot pull the shells apart for re use - currently, it is little better than scrap to us.

Furthermore, even if you obtained permission from the Bretonian government to construct this Lane, we would have our own hesitations. The Dublin system, while resourch-rich, is politically unstable and a dangerous region for DSE and ourselves to operate in. If the situation calmed down, perhaps we would re-evaluate this point.

Unless you have any alternative suggestions, the Board of Directors has nothing more to say on the subject. However, do not consider this as a dismissal from us; we are still happy to discuss any other future business deals that you may propose.

Yours sincerely,

Thaddeus Gideon
Vice President
Ageira Technologies
***TRANSMISSION TERMINATES***
**** Incoming Transmission ****
To: Ageira, per attention of Thaddeus Gideon
Subject: Trade lane inquiry, Dublin system
Priority: Low
Encryption: Civilian/Light (// Hackable by intelligence agencies, Lanehackers)

Mr Gideon,

A regrettable, but not entirely unexpected decision. While I do not believe permission from the Bretonian government would have been too much of an issue, I do share your concerns on the instability of the system. It was our hope that this lane would help both traders and the Bretonian lawkeepers move around a bit quicker, thus adding to the stability of the system. Yut that does not help during the time it would take the lane to be constructed.

Keep this then as an option, for a later date, should you deem it safe enough to start such a construction effort. Purely out of curiosity, could you give us an indication of the cost for such a project, given that construction would need to start from scratch?

Regards,
- Johnathan Sanders

**** Transmission Closed ****