Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Topic On Guard Systems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I already am in this frame of mind. Tohoku is the Iseijin Semi-Guard system.

Parts of the system will have nightmare defences and harsh NPCs, and parts of it are nice and lore-friendly and fit in with the rest of Sirius fine.

I think we need less Guard systems, and more Semi-Guard stuff in Semi-Guard sections of Systems.

I totally agree with you.
Kay.
I'm down with it.
Game mechanics issues again.
Can't make guard systems too valuable to afford neglecting
Can't make normal people lose sleep over "an inevitable incoming attack"
Because I'm drunk.

Guard systems are lame for RP and day-to-day purposes because they were designed as half-ooc faction specific equipment shops and fallback points. They contain no trade (not usually) and rarely are in the way of any route. Changing their placement and trade usuefulness- that's issue number one.

Issue two is the factions themselves. While indeed they would welcome the increased traffic, if only for the sake of publicity... They would be reluctant to host hostile actions there. They bought it, they assume they make the rules there. For example I just don't see Outcasts just living with GMG incursions into omi85. They can't live with incursions into alpha as it is.
Agreed. Guard systems are a bit ridiculous. If we really wanna keep the whole "guard" thing going, we can just have a few somewhat-hidden guard bases. We don't need an entire star system in which we store our high-tech crap and do nothing else.

I've never been a fan of guard systems because they just don't do anything, with a few notable exceptions, like the ones you listed. So let's put them back in the hands of the developers (and out of the hands of the official factions; I never want to see another Tau 65) and develop them as actual, dynamic systems.
Ayup.

I somehow agree. Mostly they are used for Faction PvP, and to fit out caps and indy stuff, but since you can enter them by buying the respective id, the guard status becomes irrelevant.

The other way round, i think we shouldnt forget the importance of the guard system as pvp training ground, since many factions would have a way too long to conn, to attend a regular weekly training there.

In my opinion, this could be solved by establishing an area like a military training area, marked by a ring of navigation buoys, like it is in the LD-14 uranium field. To make clear that there is an area you shouldnt enter without permission...

On the other side, guard systems are used as an RP explanation to have a "safe base" there, like the flagship of a fleet commander, or what else. which cant be sieged or destroyed, because its in a well defended guard system.

So, some thoughts need to be made, surely, if the number of guard systems shall be reduced.
But in fact, yes. They arent necessary at all.

Rubber_Duck
' Wrote:Agreed. Guard systems are a bit ridiculous. If we really wanna keep the whole "guard" thing going, we can just have a few somewhat-hidden guard bases. We don't need an entire star system in which we store our high-tech crap and do nothing else.

I've never been a fan of guard systems because they just don't do anything, with a few notable exceptions, like the ones you listed. So let's put them back in the hands of the developers (and out of the hands of the official factions; I never want to see another Tau 65) and develop them as actual, dynamic systems.

Like Newgate and stuff...hell, make Newgate the BPA guard station as an example.
No one dares to touch Vespucci <.<

I mean it might technically be a guard system, but... it is really just something special. Although i think it won't be hacker at all any more in the next version, but would it still be a guard system then? And is the SCRA system a guard system?
I doubt that factions with their own ID would lose their systems.
I think this is about regular factions such as House forces etc.
Pages: 1 2