Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Could be gone by end of month now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well I've finally broken the news to my mates and my mother that I've left college today and am in the process of joining the army. What fun and noise ridden journey that was. Some of my mates in class are shocked though surprisingly supportive of me which is a big boost.

Now, I've got to get my body fit within two weeks at best which is going to be tough. I've got a pass, but for a Military Engineer or Army Air Corps Soldier I need around 1.5 miles in 9 minutes which is quite tough.

So I'm likely dropping all my plans here, but I still want to play in Dublin for a bit, the sheer insanity there is amazingly funny.

Oh and just in case, this my be last time you hear from me in case things REALLY get out of hand and I get kickout out of the house. Mother does not like army, not one bit.
Fletch ol buddy, 1.5m in 9 mins is not so tough for you; you're half my age, and I still have to run the same distance in the same time as you.
1.5m is a sprint. its 2.4km, a bloody long sprint, but a sprint nonetheless. the rest of the BMF test is easier - just aim for 60 press/sit-ups in two mins, just in case they discount any.

when you're training, the rest period is more important than the exercise period. during the rest period do NOT eat sugary snacks - it makes you more tired than ever. munch fruit until it comes out of your ears, and you'll be fine.

My best time is 1.5 miles in just under 13 minutes. I set the treadmill to a brisk jogging pace then when I see the 1.5 mark getting closer or the time getting on I speed up until I hit the mark.

I need to jog on my local coastal path or something since the weather is finally brightening up.

Cheers for the sugary food advice, I do eat snacks a lot. I'll cut them out and go get some more fruit, ran out of apples and bananas.

Hopefully with me being out of college I'll have much more time to exercise.
A little trick that I used. :cool:

Take a small bottle, fill it with water and add some sugar in it. Then if they say that you need to run fully packaged, with you rifle and your backpack, just unload the rifle, and get rid of the weights inside the backpack, and add a pillow from the barracks.

Trust me, it works. And before someone flames me, calling me a cheater, go and run yourself for a mile and a half.

Well...I tried that stunt too..didn't end well...nazy parents <.<

Anyway, wish you best of luck;)
Fitness helps bro, but you need to want it enough aswell.

Best of luck, i'l be watching your back from the subs.
' Wrote:A little trick that I used. :cool:

Take a small bottle, fill it with water and add some sugar in it. Then if they say that you need to run fully packaged, with you rifle and your backpack, just unload the rifle, and get rid of the weights inside the backpack, and add a pillow from the barracks.

Trust me, it works. And before someone flames me, calling me a cheater, go and run yourself for a mile and a half.

And that does absolutely no good in the long run. Are you going to fill your pack with pillows and unload your weapon when you go into combat? Best to train for the real thing. And yes I do run myself over a mile and a half at least three times a week.

1.5 miles in 9 minuets is tough. You'll have to maintain a 6 minute/mile pace for the whole time. (If my math is right) I believe that is running at 10 MPH, which is not exactly a cake walk. If you put your mind to it though and train like you mean it then you should be alright. Best advice for joining any branch of the military, listen to the instructors. They may seem like they are blowing smoke out their asses, but 90% of the time there is always a reason for everything they do and say. Good luck regardless though, hope it works out well for you.
Jack Aubrey

The british armed forces are renowned to be the best, if not one of the best, trained militaries in the world. Partially because your going to bloody need it. So when your sent on an endless cross country march in whatever god forsaken country you find yourself in, your going to wish you'd stepped up to the mark. Your not only endangering your own life but that of your squadmates, because let's face it, as well trained as we are (or in my case, going to be), the ethics don't quite allow us to leave anyone behind.
But Jack is a paratrooper on naval ship hunting Somali 2MILORDAI pirates. he has little reason to run 8-|
edit: double post
Pages: 1 2 3 4