Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Notice to all Hellfire Legion Members
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Due to a backlog of work, I will be be writing and posting this in fragments when I have the time to write them.

This is to clarify a few things that may or may not be clear about our faction. It is being posted here, rather than on Skype, for the benefit of those not in the faction.

Our faction is opposed to the Liberty Navy and LSF for certain reasons.

These reasons do NOT include 'Navy is corrupt'. They are as follows:

1. Inability to completely control piracy.
-From an In Character Perspective: Piracy is still rampant in Liberty, and it is our view that the Liberty Navy and LSF are not willing to take the steps and go far enough to stamp it out once and for all. Liberty citizens are still dying to pirates, and livelihoods are still being ruined on a daily basis.
We believe we can do better, however, first the current authorities must be dealt with to prevent their interference through their 'code of conduct'.

-From an Out of Character Perspective: Piracy cannot, and will not ever be stamped out in Freelancer, and I do not intend for us to attempt to do so. Nor can we expect to ever overthrow the Liberty Navy and LSF. Our goals are purposefully set unachievablely high in order to permit for continued activity in the faction. As a reference, any time there is a 'cease-fire' between Bretonia and the Mollys, Molly activity plummets. This is not something I want to see happen to the Hellfire Legion, and as such, we will never truly conquer the Liberty Navy.

2. War in Rheinland

-From an In Character Perspective: The general opinion among the Legion High Command is that war with Rheinland is not only a costly waste of lives, but that it's something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. The Legion doesn't want Rheinland to win, but a victory by the Liberty Navy would not be ideal either. Letting the war go on for much longer, thus allowing for the possibility of more civilian casualties, though, is even worse.
With the majority of Navy assets tied up on the war front, the Legion's intent is to harass both sides with hit and run strikes, in order to try and force a peace agreement or at least a cease-fire from the attrition of forces.

-From an Out Of Character Perspective: The war between Rheinland and Liberty exists. There is no point in trying to pretend it isn't happening; it's part of the storyline. We should be working with the story, not against it.

3. Revenge, or the misleading illusion of it

-From an In Character Perspective: Very, very few of the original Legionnaires are left, and those who are do not have the influence they had in previous years. They have been slowly superseded and displaced by a new generation of Legionnaires: visionaries, political refugees, and idealists. Certainly there were and are still those who joined for the chance to take out their anger on the Navy, but the general atmosphere of vengeance that was prevalent during the time of Thastus and Mori has all but dissipated.
The average Legionnaire sees themselves as a patriot, not a terrorist.

-From an Out of Character Perspective: This is a big one. This is one thing I want to emphasize above all else. If you joined or intend to join the Hellfire Legion because you hate the Liberty Navy or its members, you are in the wrong faction. If you joined or intend to join the Hellfire Legion because you want to be able to shoot anyone and everyone, you are in the wrong faction. If you joined or intend to join the Hellfire Legion because your lawful capital ship was FR5'd or you just don't want to let someone else order you around on your capital ship, you are definitely in the wrong faction.
-To be continued during the next period of free time I have-

One last thing.
Do not be afraid to take the initiative. If you have an idea or something you want to try, toss it out in the open for all of us to take a look at.
I value 'characters' more than gun platforms with names.
As I get it, you don't want revolution in any form? Just swap goverments and Navy ups, as I thought before?:P
Want to clarify
Just a little note, I am trying to make a new piece for our lore atm as we are changed a bit over time. This will probably explain how we got to these points here, and as he said this here isn't finished yet, only one point is finished yet and I believe there are still 2 to come.

Now as for your question, we want a democratic revolution as it is the Legion's believe there currently is a puppet-government controlled by navy/LSF. There is still a bit of internal discussion on how much focus is laid on each point though.

So basically:
We want to replace the navy, because we think they are incompetent.
We want to overthrow the government and establish a true democracy.

But! Remember this is all still work in progress, and you can only really count on the word of the Lord Commander. As he said there is a bit of a backlog and I just write a bit under the direction of the higherups.
TheJarl Wrote:Now as for your question, we want a democratic revolution as it is the Legion's believe there currently is a puppet-government controlled by navy/LSF.
Doesn't that imply that the Navy/LSF is corrupt/corrupting the government at some point ?
' Wrote:Doesn't that imply that the Navy/LSF is corrupt/corrupting the government at some point ?

would depend on what you call corrupt. It's not with money anyway. Besides Joe will kill me if I use the word corruption and navy in one sentence:P
' Wrote:Besides Joe will kill me if I use the word corruption and navy in one sentence:P

It's true, I will.

Corruption would imply soliciting or taking bribes, or the use of legislated powers by a government official for personal gain.

The situation described above, (involving a puppet government controlled by the military establishment) would be something akin to very well disguised military a coup d'etat having silently occured at some point, not corruption. Please learn what political corruption is.

The Navy however, is not roleplayed as a political entity, and simply does the bidding of the government. Public servants.

Although I'm happy to have a group floating around that believes the LN are somehow controlling the government. It adds some spice, so long as you don't slip into the realm of cliche.