Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Newbie Helper Faction Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Gents, all we need is a curriculum and people willing to spread that to anyone that asks.

Instead of having an actual separate faction for newbie information distribution, perhaps we can have something where one would volunteer to be a part of the new player help squad simply by adding something along the lines of [Help] to the back of whatever character you want to tag.

Have a console prompt that says "Ask players with the tag [Help] in their names for any problems or questions that you may have with gameplay"

Don't have any special privileges or ships for anyone that does volunteer.

The only thing that should be required for joining is to read and answer several questions about various aspects of server rules and rp basics.

This way, we can have players that are actually playing the game showing new players how it's done first hand.

It'd be especially good if the players of official factions would participate more extensively, as they normally do this already with indie members of their respective faction.

All in all, this idea would mean that whoever has the [help] (or something like that) tag is willing enough and patient enough to deal with educating newcomers. Nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT*** it'd be good if people could drop a comment or two on what sort of topics should be required knowledge for someone to volunteer as a helper.

IE: The rules, RP basics, good ways to make cash, basic PVP tactics, disco specific traditions and manners

Maybe where one could find Spazzy's videos
The_Angels?

We already have this.
' Wrote:The_Angels?
We already have this.

Errm... they were put out of commission. Also, there aren't too many of them around ever it seems.
Yeah :/ the biggest issue is that there don't seem to be too many angels around...
By setting the angels apart as a distinct faction with additional perks and privileges, it made some issues in and of itself.

Also, as a distinct faction, any angel tagged ships couldn't play like a regular ship and so that limited exposure since well... being an angel shouldn't be a full time job especially in a game.

With this more distributed, decentralized system, we can have more exposure and deliver more practical help from people on the front lines.
' Wrote:Errm... they were put out of commission. Also, there aren't too many of them around ever it seems.
We aren't. If there isn't enough Angels, well... Join us, perhaps?
' Wrote:We aren't. If there isn't enough Angels, well... Join us, perhaps?

I'm more than willing to help newcomers, but I'd rather have it so that newcomers can find and ask me questions while I'm playing the game, rather than only when I've alloted time exclusively for looking for new players while flying on a ship that I can't enjoy myself in.

You guys are great and all, but you could have so much more exposure with a more distributed system. It's not meant to be a replacement for the angels, but more of a supplement.
' Wrote:I'm more than willing to help newcomers, but I'd rather have it so that newcomers can find and ask me questions while I'm playing the game, rather than only when I've alloted time exclusively for looking for new players while flying on a ship that I can't enjoy myself in.

You guys are great and all, but you could have so much more exposure with a more distributed system. It's not meant to be a replacement for the angels, but more of a supplement.

I am unsure, but I think there was a reason behind Angels not role-playing which ties into why this should not happen.

(That is, role-playing and also helping players with a tag.)
' Wrote:I'm more than willing to help newcomers, but I'd rather have it so that newcomers can find and ask me questions while I'm playing the game, rather than only when I've alloted time exclusively for looking for new players while flying on a ship that I can't enjoy myself in.

Well, feel free then - There's nothing that's preventing you from creating your own group dedicated to helping people, just remember that at times when there's a lot of questions you'll have difficulty helping people and RPing at the same time.

Quote:You guys are great and all, but you could have so much more exposure with a more distributed system.
Could you explain what you meant with this? We already help newcomers with everything you mentioned, especially when we're pulling shifts in Pennsylvania.
' Wrote:I am unsure, but I think there was a reason behind Angels not role-playing which ties into why this should not happen.

(That is, role-playing and also helping players with a tag.)

What I'm suggesting is just having a bunch of players out there that have a marker to let others know that questions about the game can be asked. The marker just says that the player in question is willing and able to answer questions as opposed to a complete stranger that may or may not be either willing or able to answer questions in any meaningful capacity.
' Wrote:Could you explain what you meant with this? We already help/accompany newcomers with basically everything you mentioned, especially when we're pulling shifts in Pennsylvania.

Exactly the issue I have is that you view it as pulling 'shifts' instead of just being available while you are free to enjoy the game as you'd like.

It's a noble thing to devote time that could otherwise be spent enjoying yourself to exclusively helping new players - but helping players and enjoying yourself in the game needn't be mutually exclusive.

***EDIT***

What I mean to say is, your availability to the new players can be extended quite a bit if you just incorporate helping new players into what you'd do for fun.

A scenario would be: you're busy trading because that's what lots of people do as part of their normal gameplay - a new player sees the console message that says that people with the tag you've got are volunteers that are willing to help new players out and are able to do so - the new player PMs you and asks you a question and you answer it while you're drifting from lane to lane.
Pages: 1 2 3