Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Sir Walter Rutherford comes out of retirement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(A character I've wanted to give a try for a long long time. Going to run with him and see where it goes.)

It was a typical morning on New London. As the sun made its way over the horizen airtraffic began to pickup and people scurried from their apartments to their places of work. Things however had been different lately however. Buildings were beginning to look neglected and there were lines for most items. Even the affluent capital of Bretonia was not immune to the strains of war.

In one of the royal palace's many meeting rooms Queen Carina sat quietly at the end of a lengthy oak table, the many hardships over the course of her reign had taught her the value of patience. There was alot to do today, but this had to come first. A voice cut through the silence.

"Your Highness, Sir Walter Rutherford has arrived."

"Let him in" She replied

A middle aged man made his way through the door and offered a low bow. He was of about average height and build, with short cut brown hair. He looked all the world like a picturebook Bretonian working class man. He was dressed in a dark armed forces uniform with no patches or unit markings.

"I am at your service my lady" He said in an even tone.

"Sir Walter Rutherford..." The Queen said, "Former captain in the Armed Forces, 4 time ace, knighted for your service during the Nomad War. As you are aware we are in desperate need for pilots. All the reserves have been called up and we have been forced to take many extreme measures to keep our armed forces at fighting strength."

"I am well aware of the situation your highness" Rutherford replied

"Then you are aware of why you are here. It is very poor form for a monarch to call a formally retired knight to service like a common reservist, particually one who retired for family reasons and has turned down the option to return to service several times. However I cannot allow a pool of skilled pilots to remain untapped. I do not wish to take you from your family, but I must formally ask you to return to service. You may still refuse but I will be forced to make my request a royal order."

"You need not make it an order you highness" Rutherford responded gently, "I have seen the reports and have lost many good friends to this conflict. The kingdom is threated as she has never been before and I cannot let my personal desires get in the ways of my duties. I accept your request and will return to duty."

"Very good!" The Queen said, standing up "You will be returned to your former rank of captain as soon as the paperwork is put through. Naturally as a knight you will be outside the normal command structure. You will answer to me and to the admiralty, although I expect you to show the proper respect to all officers."

"Very well your highness, I will depart for the the armed forces starport immediately."

Rutherford snapped to attention, gave another bow and exited the room with more of a military snap than when he entered. Nearly a decade after his last flight, Sir Walter Rutherford was about to climb back into the pilot's seat.