Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Capt. Finn McCool - Drunkin' Dubliner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At Graves bar, Finn passed out on the bar, as his cousin laughs and starts the story...

Finnegan "Finn" McCool was a crazy lad. Roudy, and constantly getting into mischief, as most dubliner teens do. His friends had a saying, "This is where Finn almost died". But alas! Nothing has killed him yet, as he is still here to tell the tale! Or lie up his sleeve and tell a story that you can barely understand over the slurring. No matter.

See, the thing is, while most would have some grand tale of family strife, or personnal past problems, he didn't have that. He didn't have a rough past with family, his parents are still alive and well, and from what he tells me he comms then occasionally to check in and let them know he is alive and well.... A heavy drinker, but still alive.

*Takes sip of whiskey*

So instead of going into detail of his rather simple past, i'll just start with more recent times, and my take on the man. You see, Finn was never one to stay in one place. About 3 years ago, he just up and left. No one knew where he went, no one knew what happened. Were we worried? Hell no! Its Finn McCool...If he's not on some adventure, even if that is at the bottom of a bottle, something is seriously f'd up. So we didn't worry. We knew he would be back eventually (We dubliners never forget our roots). And here he is, returned from a rather conveluted adventure.

Story began when a trader by the name of Dane Summers met him here at graves. Apparently he was hauling gold to Rheinland. Now, one thing you have to know about Finn. He gets along well with everyone. His view on politics is, well... I'll quote him: "Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a tradelane between planets, when there are no planets to begin with." All this war business, psh. He could care less. Anyway, I digress.

So, he met this Summers, who was haulin' gold. Now Finn, in his small freighter at the time, decided "to hell with it", and joined summers on his trek across Sirius. Didn't matter who he was trading for, didn't matter if people tried to get him involved in some grand scheme. As long as they paid, he didn't much care. Well, he didn't care so long as he had a bottle of whiskey in hand. But traveling and seeing the whole of Sirius was something he talked about for a long time. Hell, we all heard his grandeous tales of travel, freedom, and fortune... well, mostly fortune. So there goes Finn, headed to Rheinland. Now, from the story as he tells it, is somewhere along the line of getting a Border Worlds Transport, getting attacked by two ninja planets (We assume his was sloshed at the time... Dane can recount if you wish), and somehow made enemies with ALL of Rheinland. Apparently, while planetside in New Berlin, he met a fine lass. Granted, Finn always somehow meets and has some "grand" tale with women. This case though happened to be true (I checked). The lass he hooked with... *sigh* ...was the Rheinland chancellor's daughter. He left without saying anything to her, she apparently got upset, and now the Rheinlanders have a hard-on for Finn here. Not most wanted, but wanted enough! Poor lad... So, his trading days in Rheinland are pretty limited now. Oh, and did I mention he is a smuggler now? Again, didn't surprise us. If there is money to be had, and a way to get it, Finn here will find it and use it to its full potential. which is why I saidhis trading is LIMITED in Rheinland, not exhausted. Crazy bastard...

Along the way he apparently did some mining, hauled illegal goods all over the place, whatever he could get his hands on. But the thing is, and I know this well enough about him, he will always try and be peaceful in his dealings. Never one to shoot first, never one to WANT to fight, but my god... does the boy somehow end up IN fights a lot. Apparently he insulted a Kusarian Captain's mother... Wouldn't be surprised if he actually hooked up with her, the idiot. And you'd think after barely getting out of the system alive would warrant the responsible act of not returning! But no... He goes back with Dane and grabs more illegal goods! I swear, that boy there will never learn to get himself out of trouble.

Anyway, 3 years later... 2 weeks ago in fact, here shows up Finn, in his new ship. Riddled with holes, some of them purple (Apparently "Nomads" shot him up. HA, right), flashing green lights all over the thing. And we haven't been able to get him off the drink since...

*Someone yelling in the background*

Ah crap, looks like Finn is awake and sober enough to start talkin' about another adventure of fame and fortune... Who knows, looks like Finn is about to tromp around Sirius again. Keep yer eyes on the vids boys. You may yet see Capt'n Finn McCool there, his mug all happy and hammered... with a bounty or a house system after him.

Cheer's laddie!
The man, the myth, the legend known as Jack Burton leans back and scratches the tip of his nose. His eyes dart back and forth between Finn and his cousin a few times. "So," he'd say slowly. "Alright. That I can swallow with a few extra gulps. But, brother, you gotta tell me why you left out the best part! Y'know, about his falling in love with l of a Kusari secret agent by the name of Mirimoto Katsumi... or Katsumi Mirimoto if you prefer to pronounce their names with the surname last, which isn't correct in Kusari culture." There'd be a pause in which several pairs of eyes turn to look at Jack, some with raised eyebrows. "What? Is it a bad thing to be aware of the traditions of certain cultures? Christ you're all actin' like I just spouted some horrible racial slur. Anyway, according to Finn there this romance wound up becoming the plot outline for that neo-noir film 'Wayward Lovers of the Rising Sun'. I personally don't believe that crap for a second and neither do any of the other reprobates that I associate with, but I'm thinkin' maybe you might be able to help shed some light on the subject. That is of course if you're an actual HONEST Dubliner."
Finn gets down off table and approaches Jack

Aye lad, ya got a lot of nerve...

With that, Finn smiles and punches Jack, knocks him down, pulls him back up and buys him a shot

Now lad, you shut your dirty mouth and listen, or i'll wallop ya again. That be privy info that I ne're shared with me lads nor cousin here. And you just spilled the beans you stupid Libby. But, since its all out now, might as well set the record straight.

Ya see lads, it was about 4 and a half years ago. I had left Dublin with intent to visit a friend on Leeds. Well, when we's go there, He was in one of tah Tau's. So, being myself, I went searchin for 'em. Ended up findin him on Freeport 6. Now, as us dubliners are frequent partakers of tah drink, I was none surprised to see him sloshed and chattin wit some bar-maid. A Koosowry (Kusari) lass. Beautiful she was that girl. Anyway, seeing him, I take him to meh ship and let him rest a bit... while I go make me way back to tah bar.

So, a few drinks and fields that got ploughed later, the girl was eager to come along with meh. Wanted to show her me home. Dublin in all its golden and orange glory. Had to make a few stops along ah way, so it was going to take a while. And wouldn't you know, I got swept away by tah girl. Ended up never makin it back to Dublin. Joined me friend on Leeds with his Private contracting business. I just did tah local deliveries/odd jobs. But my girl Katsumi, was always eager to join me in runs to New london. Of course, now I know why.

It was on a normal run like any other... Katsumi in the seat next to me, us flyin to drop off supplies to New london. Now, ye have to realise, a couple days without tah drink really gets to meh. So, once we landed on New London, I dropped of me supplies, and hit tah local tavern. And thats when I heard tah breaking news. A Kusarian woman had been caught in a standoff with Bretonian police outside the Parliment building. And when tah vid captured tah women's face, it was my Katsumi.

It was rough lads, seein her there. Next I know, they realized info on her as being a operative for the Kusari government. Never once had a thought of who she really was. But alas, those months were a coverup. Last I heard before I left New London was that she had been shot and killed. Was hard lads.. very hard.

So, I went back to Leeds and told meh friend I had to go back home to Dublin. Couldn't stay. Of course, I ended up stayin' as the government found meh and had to question me and hold me fer a while. Bastards... But, after they got all the wanted, I was free to go. They had noothin' on meh, save fer being a stopid drunk. HA. I'm a smart drunk! But I digest... Was actually approached by a man in tah vid industry. He said he wanted to write a report on the incident. He offered me soome money, had me retell tah tale, and then made me sign a non-disclosure, and he had exclusive rights to tah story. Well, I didn't know why at tah time.. so I agreed with a shrug of misunderstandin' Bad move. Year later, it was full-feature vid. Fookers... But, with that magical document I signed, noothin' I could do. So I left that chapter of meh life behind.

And here I am...

Grabs Jack by the collar

So if ye ever want to coom in tah me bar wit me friends and call any of oos dishonest, it'll be more then just me givin' ya a wollopin lad. Now lets drink, be merry.

Grabs bottle of whiskey and lifts up high

"TO FAME AND FORTUNE... mostly fortune"
[Image: finntransmission.png]

This thing on?

*Heavy sigh then a loud BANG*

There we go! Aye, finally. Been too long lads. But oye! Finn be back, and alive and well.

Seems recently lots 'o stuff has been gooin' down here in Sirius... most of all bein' me not around to pleasure yer ear-holes wit me tales and adventures! Aye lads... and lass's... don' ye worry, I got soom stories fer ya! I heard me cousin was tellin' me tales fer me, but alas... he's too busy on some fool-hardy contract wit some small corp in Leeds. Meh, his choice, not mine.

Ah! Ye may be wonderin' how I be transmitting when not on Graves or in Leeds. Well lads, Me hard work has paid off. So has me choices in life. Ya see, I got tired of all tah crap that Bretonia was gooin' through. Tired of tah senseless war and power struggles. I felt as if I had a high calling. Something tah go above the petty squabbles of fat politicians and Executives sittin' there makin' life miserable fer the everyday citizen. So in meh travels and *cough* trading, I learned more about tah border systems and what they had tah offer. And ye know what I saw? Freedom... or at least tah potential fer it. I saw a vast openness, not controlled by so many House corps and politics. Was a relief lads let me tall ye! Now don' get me wrong. There are dangers present too... But that threat is wit guns and is visible, not this back-stabbin' and power plays that ye see in Bretonia.

Ended up meetin' some fine lads on a Freeport I had stayed at. Great lads, members of tah Zoners as well. Great drinkers I gotta say! Made fer some good times. But, after a while and flyin' around wit them, started workin' with them. Supplin' a couple of there ships, gettin' goods that they couldn't get, tah works. After a nice while, I started thinking more... realized this is tah life. Workin, not for someone else, but workin' tah be free. To enjoy life, enjoy tah systems in Sirius, and bettering people because ye want tah help people, not fer selfish gain. Didn' take too long fer me to meet some of tah higher ups in tah Zoner community, and... a great day for Finn... was accepted as a member of there community and people.

Yes lads, Finn is a Zoner now. An I am proud of it lads! Never have I felt purpose in me life like this. But, thats not tah great part. Was granted use of ships only available to tah members of tah Zoners. The day I laid eyes on her was a day that I fergot tah drink. I fergot tah DRINK lads! Ye know how important tah drink is to me? Hell, I ain' never without a bottle in reserve. *Laughs* But, no... that day I wasn' thinking about that. It was tah day I saw my Fianna. A Zoner conference-class vessel. Her beautiful lines, sleek grey plating, and elegance in her design. I knew that she was what I had been lookin for as a place tah call me own. So I worked hard, contracted more, and finally... Oh finally... I made the Fianna me own. But of course, had tah add me own touch. Flashing green lights added me drunkin' dubliner touch to her. Wow did she, and still does, looks like tah representation of a vessel an angelic creature would use, should they need a vessel to travel in... Meh.

So there I was, tah ship of me dreams, and all of Sirius and the borderworlds as my playground! *Smiles* But, only a little bit ago, I received a comm from me old friend Dane Summers. Oh how proud I was dat he was also a memeber of tah Zoner community... before me actually. Made me realize I needed to keep better tabs on that boy. And what else?! He was a temp administrator of Freeport 1! HA, how tah universe changes all tah time, and surprises come outta no where! But, all was not right wit the area, and it looked as if tah filth of house politics an corps were trying tah claim Freeport 1. Luckily, Dane there is a level-headed lad, so that never happened. But, tah ensure so, I brought tah Fianna there, and there she resides till this whol thing blows over.

And that lads and lass's, brings meh to taday! Sitting in tah Fianna, hovering over tah repairs takin' place on Freeport 1.

* * * Beep Beep Beep * * *

What the... strange. All of a sudden me terminal is flashing wit a garbled transmission. Eh, I'll let you all go.

[Image: finnclosed.png]

[Image: Vldl0GJ.png]

Greetin' lads - Been a long time since I sent oot a comm. But, thought it might be a good time ta.

Where ta begin. Last I left ya I had gone ta way of ta Zoners. Free of all ta struggles and damn politics of ta houses. Though, doesn't mean there wasn' no politics or corruption out in ta far reaches of space. Anyway, I won' bore ya with past that ya already know lads. I'll start when I set meh eyes on something bigger. Something grander than my Fianna. Ya see, as meh time on Freeport 1 was great an all, somethin called fer meh. Heh, even after openin up McCool's Tavern. Great place lads. Though, last I heard it grew small an less active from when I last left it. Sad day lads, sad day. Anyway, where was I? Ah yes...

So, while ta stay on Freeport 1 was great an all, meh thoughts went to somethin grander. Ta though of having meh very own Freeport, but a mobile one that I could traverse ta skies with. Somethin ta allow people ta come an enjoy themselves. So after savin up, helpin' people here an there, I was able to assist some of meh fellow Zoners in restorin an old derelict ship that was lost in ta deep space of ta Omicrons. A "Jinkusu" class homeship. Meh god lads, she was a beauty. Spent quite a while restoring her to some glory from all ta funds I had saved up. Was able to convince some of ta Zoners that I would use ta ship to help when ever needed, but in ta meantime, would use it to visit ta Freeport all over Sirius, and of course let people enjoy ta joys of travelling. Freeport.Ingenuus was ta name of that fine ship. Ah those days were great. Flyin' through Sirius, meeting amazing lads and gals along ta way. Heh, I even fathered a son, can you belive it? Named him Oisin. Such a great lad. Full of spirit an joy. A true Zoner. Never had to grow up with the struggles of livin' in ta confines of ta houses. Though I did show him where I grew up, in ta Dublin system. Had to show ta boy where his old man was from!

*A tear rolls down his face*

That was a little over two years ago. Ya always expect such stories of hope and joy to end with hope and joy. It... was not the case this time. I'll try to recount ta event without, well. You know. I was on one of meh ventures, heading to meet up with some fellows from ta Temporary Autonomous Zoners in ta Baffin system. Was nearing the destination when we detected a strange reading in ta Coronado System, not too far from Baffin. Having arrived a tad sooner than expected, we decided to go check it out an see what adventure we might find. When we jumped into Coronado, ta sensor readin's were increasing. From what we could tell, it had faint levels of Nomad readings. but, wasn't enough to be anything major, as I had seen meh fair share of what a scan of anything Nomad was like out in ta Omicron systems. What baffled us was ta fact that there was some other readings that we had not seen before. Curiosity got ta better of us. As we approached ta source of the readings, the Ingenuus started throwing all sorts of warnings about. Failure here, failure there. but no failure could be detected from ta maintenance crew that went ta inspect. That is when everythin' went wrong.

As we neared the source, ta sensors went off ta charts. This time though, ta warnings rang true. Our ship buckled for a moment, before being dragged into what we could only describe as somethin alien. Somethin not of Nomad origin, but had Nomad sensor readings here and there with ta mysterious readings. When we got a closer view as to what was pulling us in, the only thing we could tell was it looked as if an ancient jumpgate of some sorts. It was not open, but pulsed out readings beyond what ta Ingenuus could read. Shortly after, is when the worst hit. Ta ringing of sirens bellowed through ta bridge as the Core was rapidly becomin unstable. Too fast. And, there was nothin we could do about it. Everyone on ta bridge scrambled to sound warnings to evacuate ta ship. I mehself was already headin to ta lower decks to find Oisin. As I rushed down ta corridors, an explosion buckled ta ship, and I was flown across ta corridor into ta wall. When I came to, I found mehself being strapped into an escape pod. A maintenance worked found meh and had pulled me to safety. I yelled at him to let me go find Oisin, but he would not loosen ta harnesses. Over ta sounds of screaming and sirens, he said he would find meh son and bring Oisin back here. That never happened, as he didn't get 10 steps when another explosion destroyed ta corridor, and forced meh to close the escape pod door. The next moments were of rattling and shaking as more explosions hit. Finally, a large one hit so close that, despite meh being strapped it, I was knocked unconscious. When I came to yet again, I was in a room that I did not recognize. Was on a table with various tools strewn about, as if someon' was in a scramble. When I stood up, a man came in and after a brief explanation, showed me this. A flight recorder with various gun cams from ta Ingenuus as well as on meh escape pod.

Meh son, never rescued from ta Ingenuus. An ta Ingenuus, completely destroyed. Meh life was torn apart in a brief matter of moments. For weeks lads, I was a shell. Lost in meh mind and thoughts. Questioning everythin'. When I finally came to, I couldn't yet go back to all that I remembered. So I stayed aboard ta vessel, an helped where I could. Just ta keep meh busy. That lasted two years. Ta lads aboard kept meh busy, but also allowed meh work to remain unhindered. Oh, what work ya may ask. I wanted ta know about what had happened. I wanted to understand all I could about that day to prevent it from happenin' to others. I studied the Neural nets constantly, an helped spawn spawn research into ta framework of ta Nomads and what I later learned was ta Daam K'Vosh. Also learned of ta true name of ta Nomads. Slomon K'Hara. Was fascinating doing what little research I could. But, was able to develop a way ta hinder ta disruptive output from that gate, and allowed ta ship I was on ta pass freely near it.

After meh time with them though lads, we are nearing catching up to recent events. When I finally decided enough time had passed for meh seclusion, I flew back to ta Omicrons, to find ta Phoenix Zoners prospering within ta Omicrons. Having been part of ta old Omicroners, I new I would find old friends among this new (To me) group. After joining them, and bringing meh research to them frrom ta past two years, life has gotten better. No longer afraid, an no longer a shell of pity. Hell, ya know meh now lads. Do I look like I'm down in spirits? Heh, no. But I won't ever forget that day, as you would not expect meh to. But, it is a reminder as to why I do what I do. hell, as head of Research and Development with ta Phoenix, I better not lose that reminder or push to continue!

Anyways lads, I must get going. Word is I'll be movin' meh facilities to Ames Research Station, where I'm to Co-Administer ta Research labs there, an continue meh work. Should be fun an interesting. Maybe even open up McCool's tavern there too for passerby's! Stay safe lads. Until next time...

[Image: hrj8TtI.png]