Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: BPA Chief Commissioner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Deputy Commissioner Rex Easly woke suddenly to the sharp sounds emanating from the comm unit sitting on his nightstand. Crisis and emergencies came without warning many times and Rex learned quickly how to sleep lightly. Before the comm unit had finished its beeping, the button was pressed and an alert voice spoke, '€œRex here. What is it?'€

'€œSir,'€ a voice replied. '€œThe Chief Commissioner'€¦*sob*'€¦he'€™s'€¦well'€¦'€

'€œWhat about the Chief?'€

'€œWell sir,'€ said the shaken voice. '€œHe'€™s in the hospital.'€

Rex'€™s face looked grim. '€œWhat happened?'€

'€œThe doctors believe he has suffered a massive heart attack.'€

'€œDear Lord. Is he alive?'€

'€œYes sir, but he'€™s in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit at New London Memorial Hospital.'€

'€œI'€™m on my way.'€

Rex hoped that Chief Commissioner Thaddeus was still alive when he arrived at the entrance to New London Memorial. After getting directions from the receptionist, he took the elevator and found the entrance to the ICU section of the hospital. There before him stood the pitiful sight of Lord Thaddeus.
Intravenous devices were attached in several places along both arms. A breathing apparatus was attached to his face making a mechanical whishing sound. Several monitors were located around him spitting out depressing facts concerning his condition. An unsteady beat emanated from one.

He moved closer to see if the Chief was awake. Medicated eyes fluttered open when Rex reached out for his hand.

Relieved, Rex spoke, '€œSir, I'€™m so glad to see you.'€

A week voice replied. '€I'€™m so disappointed.'€

Rex could barely make out what the Chief was saying. The mask was obscuring his words. Rex leaned closer. '€œDisappointed, sir?'€

'€œYes,'€ he continued. '€œThe war with Rheinland'€¦'€

'€œYes sir. The war is bad. It'€™s created a stress on all of us.'€ The stress must have wrecked havoc on the Chief'€™s heart, he thought.

The Chief continued. '€œThe worst part'€¦'€ He paused, took a deep breath, and then continued. '€œThe worst part of the war is that Christy's took strudels off of the menu.'€

'€œWhat?'€ Rex was taken aback.

The Chief seemed oblivious, '€œI know. I couldn'€™t believe it either.'€

'€œSir, there is a war going on with Rheinland and your concerned about strudels?'€

The Chief started a spasm of coughing fits. Intense pain followed each cough. It took several minutes before he could calm himself down enough to talk. He motioned for Rex to come closer. '€œI only have one regret, Rex.'€

Tears welled up in Rex'€™s eyes. '€œSir?'€

'€œI regret'€¦that I didn'€™t try the cherry strudel. I always wanted to try the cherry.'€

Rex didn'€™t know what to say. The Chief was delusional. The pain killers must have him.

Chief Thaddeus tried to sit up a bit. He was inches away from Rex'€™s ear. With all the strength Lord Thaddeus J. Smithington-Smythe of Kirkby Overlow, Chief Commissioner of the Bretonia Police Authority had, he whispered one last wish to Rex Easly.

'€œI'€™m appointing you Co-Chief Commissioner. Bring back the strudels.'€