Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Der Eiserne Hund
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Isaac Stein sat at his desk, carefully examining a set of blueprints. He stroked his chin gently, feeling his rough stubble. "Gut."

Isaac rolled up the blueprints and stood up. He made his way over to the door. His boots stomping noisily upon the ventilation grille. Isaac opened the door and ran out excitedly into the corridor.

Vieques Shipyard is the largest Junker installation in Puerto Rico. It houses over four hundred Junkers, with the majority of them being Congressmen. Many of the larger 'unlicensed' vessels in the houses were constructed here as a shipyard rather hard to come by for the 'undesirables' of Sirius.

Isaac found himself in what could only be described as a scum hole. Said scum hole was inhabited by Isaac's close friend and fellow Junker, Barret.

"I heard you stomping down the hallway from here, what's happened?" Barret queried.
"I've done it! I've finally got the perfected the design!" Isaac said enthusiastically with his slight Rheinland accent.
"Perfected eh? Lemme have a look."

Isaac shoved several skin magazines from Barret's desk (a piece of polished copper atop a stack of beer crates) and laid out the blueprints. Barret lifted himself from the stained mattress leaned over the drawings.

"Whoa, don't go too far into detail, I might actually be able to know what I'm looking at."
"Here is what I believe will be the first true Junker gunship."
"Well it looks funny, I can see that."
"Bah, aesthetics only get in the way of efficiency!"

Isaac pointed to an array of rings protruding from the ship's nose.

"See these? They're modular components that can added or removed to suit the needs of the mission."
"Fascinating." said Barret in a sarcastic tone.
"For my prototype they'll be armoured components to protect the main gun, but future iterations may have additional cargo compartments instead."
"Main gun huh? What sorta damage will that be doing?"
"Each shot will be roughly three times the power of cheap civilian turret and it will handle a steady fire rate of 180 shots per minute. I am hoping to procure an anti-capital cannon from Liberty gunboat so as to allow for further operational flexibility, but it might cause... 'issues' with the local government."
"Sounds like we'll have a winner on our hands, how long can the reactor keep that up?"
"I... don't know yet."
"You're pulling my leg right?"

Isaac tilted his head sideways in confusion. He was unfamiliar with the term.

"Nooo?"

An audible slap could be heard as Barret placed his hand on his forehead.

"Well you see I don't actually have a reactor yet, so I do not know what sort of power output I'll have to play with."
"Then get a friggin reactor before you come in here getting my hopes up!"

Isaac waved his hand in dismissal.

"I'll have one soon enough."
"Good, I don't want to hear anymore of your 'fantasies' until you actually have the means to make them a reality!"

Isaac picked up his papers and stormed off.
Isaac's attempt to procure a reactor from the Liberty Rogues

Isaac was in two moods. The Liberty Rogues had accused him of stealing their 'designs' and tried to threaten him. His first mood was anger; he thought the Rogues could be relied upon, but they had sorely disappointed him. His second mood rather amused; the Rogues thought they could scare him and tried to claim copyright on a floating piece of scrap.

A booming laugh could be heard echoing down the halls of Vieques. Those worms! Isaac thought. Afraid of copyright infringement! They have all sorts problems in the form of the Liberty Navy and they're worried their ally is going to be flying around in a similar ship to them! Bah, it's probably just that one I had to deal with. What was her name? Rex? Yes that sounds like an appropriate name for a rottwieler.

Isaac chuckled again and then spoke out loud. "Hehe, Rex."
Isaac's attempt to acquire a reactor from the Lane Hackers

Barret leaned his head against the view port. He had a rather bored look upon his face, as if he was waiting for something that was long overdue. He pressed his face right up against the glass and imagined what it must look like from the otherside.

Suddenly a ship roared past, giving Barret such a fright that he fell back and tripped over his chair. A conference gunboat positioned its nose as close to Barret's window as possible. Barret leaned forward to see the crew aboard the ship's bridge.

Isaac Stein stood as far forward as possible. Smiling ear to ear he raised his hands.

Barret gave him a quizzical look. Isaac slowly curled down all of his fingers on each hand except for the middle fingers. He then proceeded to wave them about in a mocking gesture.
Barret was speechless (for once).

Barret ran to the elevator to 'greet' his 'friend' in the hangar.

Isaac leaned against a large crate and waited with his smug grin.

Barret stepped into the hangar and eyed Isaac. "What the hell was all that about?"
Isaac chuckled. "I told you I'd get a reactor." Barret quickly realised that the large container was quite new to the hangar. "Holy mother of... Where'd you get that!?"
"Our good friends the Lane Hackers of course."
"Lane Hackers eh? They usually don't fly around without anything but premium tech."
"Aye, she's a beauty."
"How soon can you get it going?"
"Assuming it's not broken, I'll have it installed by the end of the week."
"I'll be looking forward to flying the thing."
"Hah! It will be a long time before you fly it!"
"Killjoy."

Barret went to return to his den, but Isaac called him back. "There's something I need from you."
"Yes?"
"Find me some leather seats for this baby."
Barret nodded and grinned.
"You can count on me."
What would soon become the bridge of the Eiserne Hund was occupied by a lone individual working away at an exposed section of wall. The only sounds that could be heard were the snips of pliers and hisses of the soldering iron. All was dark, save the area illuminated by a portable work lamp.

"Strip this wire, solder this to it and insulate. There we go." Isaac stood up. His day's work was complete. He drew a small recorder from his jacket. "Reactor installation is complete, testing for anomalous activity will commence shortly." Isaac clicked off the recorder and returned it to his pocket.

Barret's head popped in the door.

"You whined?"
"It is done."
"Really? It's all good to go?"
"Yes, I will don the protective gear and you will start the reactor once I have given the signal."
"Sounds easy enough."
"It should do, otherwise I'd be questioning your intelligence."

Isaac opened his toolbox and retrieved what resembled a gas mask and a small pair of gas bottles. He secured a hose to the bottles and slung it over his shoulder. Barret then assisted in attaching the bottles to Isaac's jacket. Isaac pulled the mask over his face and made sure it was secure.

"How will you tell if you've got it on correctly?"
"Belch."
"Excuse me?"
"You're meant to say that afterwords, now belch."
"If you insist..."

Barret let out a foul smelling belch that could have only come from a Junker.
Isaac stepped forward and attempted to smell it.

"Oh it's on secure."
"Alrighty then..."

Isaac opened the service hatch in the floor and climbed down to the reactor maintenance area. He drew a small yellow box from his front pocket. It had a small grille on the top, a series of dials and a large tube on the front face.

"Got the radiation detector with ya?" Crackled Barret over the Eiserne Hund's loud speaker system (which was being run by a portable generator).
Isaac switched on his radio and replied.

"Yes of course."

Isaac turned one of the dials until the tube glowed a faint blue colour.

"Alright the detector is working, turn the reactor to give out one percent power."

A loud rumbling sound could be heard throughout the room. Isaac watched the detector in his hand anxiously.

The reactor roared into life, illuminating the interior of the Eiserne Hund as the lights flicked on.

"Alright she's steady at one percent."

The detector stayed blue. There were no leaks of radiation coming from the reactor.

"Looks safe to me. Crank it up to five percent."
"Five percent coming right up."

Again, the detector remained blue.

"If it was gonna leak, it would have done so by now. Shut it off, I'm coming back up."
"Roger that."

Isaac tucked the detector away and climbed back up the service access ladder to the bridge.

"So it's really safe down there?"

"Yep, no leaks at all.
"So where to from here?"
"The reactor is something we can check off our list."
"Haha! One step closer!"
"There are still a few things we need. I'm going to try find us a forward gun."
"And I'm still working on those seats."
"Good, contact me when you've got them. I've got some calls to make."
"Righto, next time you see me, I'll be relaxing in the most luxurious seats you've ever seen."

The pair shook hands and returned to their offices.

[Image: rpsstbahamutv30000.jpg]

[color=#000000]Isaac in the reactor room
Pictures from ingame RP
Contact with VE on the forums

Isaac was mulling over the plans for his project when Barret slunk into the room.

"Whatcha doin?"
"Checking the plans for our project."
"Uh huh, well can ya come look at something with me?"
"For the last time, I'm not a gynecologist."
"Uh well um; it's to do with the project."

Isaac frowned.

"Oh, don't tell me you've got them."

Barret grinned.

"Only the best."

Barret led Isaac through the busy cargo bays of Rochester until they came to Barret's private lockup.

"Prepare to have your socks blown off."

"I'll make sure they're bolted on." Isaac said sarcastically.

Barret turned to the door and opened it.

The room was dimly lit with a rectangular shape just visible in the darkness dominating the centre of it.

"Sorry, I didn't pack my nightvision goggles."
"Shh, you're killing the mood."

Barret's voice changed to the tone of an announcer at a boxing match.

"From the ever luxurious lounge of a Shukensha..."

Barret then made his way to the centre of the room, just in front of the rectangular object.

"Made for comforting the behinds of the rich and famous..."

Barret sat down on the object and opened his arms as if getting ready to love the largest woman in Sirius.

"I give you... ROUGE VELVET!"

Barret activated the room's lights to reveal that he was in fact sitting on a rather fancy sofa.

"Barret, what is this? I thought we were building a ship, not a brothel."
"Ahem. Rouge. Velvet. It doesn't get any more stylish than this my friend."
"Seriously? It took you a couple months to get a hold of this?"
"I knew you'd be a sourpuss over this, so I got matching cushions to go with it!"
"I'm beginning to question whether the Junker life is really for you."

Barret rolled his eyes.

"Come on, feel it. With a few modifications it will make the perfect commander's chair."

Isaac stepped forward and reached out with a skeptical look on his face.
Upon touching the fabric his expression changed to surprise.

"Oh my, this does feel nice."

Isaac sat down to test the sofa further.

"It feels like my bottom is being caressed by angels."
"Good isn't it?"
"Alright, we can keep the seats. However, you have to find a way to dye them black."
"Aww come on."
"Make them a colour that doesn't make me feel fruity or they're going in the scrap heap."
"Ah I suppose. But you owe me; you ain't gonna find more comfortable chairs anywhere else."

Isaac got up and headed for the door, leaving Barret to his prized purchase.

A moment after Isaac disappeared through the door, his head popped back around the corner.

"Back to work!"

Barret sighed.

"Yes boss."