Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: ]bd[ lore revision (!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
THIS POST IS OPEN TO EVERYBODY
Well, this is something I wanted to do since long time, and now with the .86 release about to arrive (or so we hope), I think I got the excuse to write it and post it now. The wall of text posted here is about ]bd[ lore, contradictions I've found and possible ways to fix and revamp faction's lore. I'll be quoting and highlight some parts of the original faction lore posted in the faction request and then open each part for discussion. After this lame introduction, let's start:
1) The Taishogun issue. Political goals.
Quote:Over time the Blood Dragons formed a powerful organisation and ventured out back into Kusari space to avenge the death of Shogun Hideyoshi. The Blood Dragons turned into terrorists after the majority of their actions were blocked by the current military power - the Kusari Naval Forces. The Blood Dragons then sought to overthrow the current Kusari Empire to re-install a direct descendant of Shogun Hideyoshi and restore the rule of the Shoguns.
Quote:Headed by a descendant of the honourable Shogun Hideyoshi, the new Rising Sons movement fight to restore Kusari to what it orginally was.
Quote:Taishogun '€“
The head Shogun. The Taishogun is the leader of the Blood Dragons. A direct descendant of the original Shogun Hideyoshi, the Shogun has access to all ships and commands any Blood Dragon Officer. No person is to set foot upon any area 100 feet away from the Taishogun's presence without the Taishogun's permission. No person other than the Shoguns is allowed to know the Taishogun's real name. (Only one person may achieve this rank at any given time.)
Okay, I'd like to discuss the removal of the Taishogun figure (as in this Hideyoshi descendant living among Blood Dragons and now leading the Rising Sons). I'm going to quote a few vanilla rumors/news infocards first:

Quote:The founding members of the group were the Shogun'€™s Royal Guard during the Hideyoshi family dynasty. In a bloody coup during the celebration of the revived Sakura festival in 321 AS, the Shogun was surrounded in the palace by Samura-backed elements of the military and asked to surrender, along with the Royal Guard. The Shogun, humiliated by the shame he had brought his family, committed suicide. The guards, headed by Kozue Okamura, did not acquiesce so easily. In a bloody battle, they fought their way out of the palace and retreated into the darkness of northern Kusari space.
Looks like no Hideyoshi family member managed to escape with Okamura. And given what happened to the Shogun, his family's fate wouldn't be very different from his.

Quote:We are modern Ronin - masterless warriors. We hope to find a new master that can break the curse of Kusari corruption and stagnation and once again bring our nation to glory. There is a young bureaucrat, fresh out of New Tokyo University, who speaks of change. The Commerce ministry can dismiss him for now as a naive youngster, but maybe he will be the one who can lead Kusari to the future.
Quote:CHUGOKU -- With the approach of the Sakura Festival, the Blood Dragons will mourn the anniversary of the fall of the Hideyoshi Shogunate. This is a day of great shame not only for the Blood Dragons, but for all the people of Kusari. It is our sacred role to reestablish a legitimate government. On this anniversary Kusari will be reminded of how our honor was taken from us. Expect a day of reckoning during the upcoming Sakura Festival. Our leaders shall not let the travesty that occurred centuries ago be forgotten.
Both found in Kyoto bar. As suspected, currently there's no Hideyoshi guy living among Blood Dragons. But now comes the tricky part: Dragons want to re-establish 'a' legitimate government. But what kind of government? The first infocard mentions that young bureaucrat speaking of change, but what kind of change would involve this legitimate government that Dragons seek? Removing the corporate influence and re-establish the full power of the Shogunate? A military-based government? Introduction of tiny bits of democracy by allowing population to vote for planetary governors and lesser positions? And since there's women fighting among BDragons ranks, how could this affect to Dragons' mindset after 500 years?
2) Foreigners, gaijin grrr!
Quote:Gaijn-
All Foreigners (Gaijn) who enter Kusari Space are to be treated with hostility. We are very suspicious of the activites of foreigners seeing as one of the reasons Shogun Hideyoshi was deposed is because of foreign influence in Kusari.
I don't see any reason for Dragons in general being hostile toward foreigner shippers or acting as Farmers Alliance in red ships (and somehow helping Samura indirectly) after reading the two following infocards:
Quote:They periodically launch surgical strikes and commando raids from their Kyoto base designed to destabilize the current government to the point where sympathetic officials could potentially seize power. Blood Dragons prefer to target Samura and Kusari Naval Forces bases and ships, although they occasionally attack other House shippers for supplies.
Quote:In the early years of the Kusari Empire, foreign immigration was strictly controlled and permanent foreign settlements on New Tokyo were strictly forbidden. While the Kusari Shogunate was unwilling to bend these rules, it still accommodated foreign business interests by allowing Interspace Commerce to construct Roppongi Station in 318 A.S. Despite the restrictions placed on permanent residencies elsewhere in Kusari, and the outrage expressed by conservative Kusari politicians at the Hideyoshi controlled Shogunate for allowing foreigners into the New Tokyo system, Roppongi Station's business flourished, with many corporations opening offices onboard.
When the Hideyoshi Emperor was deposed in 321 A.S., Roppongi's future was plunged into doubt. Thankfully, even the conservatives had recognised the financial benefits of leaving it alone, and in any case they had no desire at the time to upset Interspace Commerce, which at that time owned the rights to all the jump gates and trade lanes within Kusari.
I think the Roppongi infocard speaks for itself, and could give a hint on how liberal(?) was the Hideyoshi government and thus shape Dragons' attitude towards foreigners nowadays. I've been bashed a couple of times for conducting current diplomacies with Order and IMG "because BDragons shouldn't be dealing with foreigners", but why?

So yepp, after reading this wall of text (or part of it), I'd be happu-happu if you posted your opinion here about the issues listed, suggestions and anything else which could help the faction to make more sense. And I bet I've missed details, perhaps many of them, but please, feel free to point them so everybody can discuss them here. Thanks in advance.
Well, I agree with just about everything you said. From the infocards, it seems that the Hideyoshi dynasty did not survive - however, should the Blood Dragons actually win, would they usher in a new dynasty?

The truth being, I see the Blood Dragons goal of ending the Samura backed regime. Samura stole the control of the Empire illegally, and rather dishonorably, and now have a stranglehold over the empire - for a family of merchants, controlling the lives of samurai, well, yeah (however, thats an ancient way of looking at things, as far as class division).

Should Samura be broken, and the control of the Empire in the hands of someone else, it would depend on who that person is, for the Blood Dragons to go with it - most likely, they should find someone they want to put on the throne, and fight to make him emperor.

as for foreign relations - yes, honestly, the Blood Dragons shooting most everyone just contributes to Kusari being an unfriendly place to everyone. honestly, for the majority of folks, who are tired of dealing with Hogosha and FA, the Blood Dragons should be ready allies. for a trader being in the middle of a shakedown by a couple Hogosha, the arrival of a Blood Dragon patrol should be a cause for joy - not "oh look, more pirates"

Why? Because the Blood Dragons are enemies of everything that makes the current kusari so inhospitable - hogosha criminals and farmers alliance zelots - and of course, samura being anti-gaijin, with the kusari navy and police, making sure all the crime runs smoothly and discreetly. anything that destabilizes that should be something the Blood Dragons endorse, assuming it doesnt hurt kusari as a whole. I dont see them being great friends with synth foods, but thats one of the few exceptions.

So, for the most part, I agree with you - i think there should be a figure that the Blood Dragons seek to put on the throne - without which, there whole movement will come to a screeching halt the moment Jein Kogen dies and Samura is crushed.
As well, the movement should be a bit more ambivalent toward outsiders, simply for the reason of appearing to be the saviours of liberal kusari, instead of the current regime which is full of a-holes. people should look to the blood dragon movement as a very wanted change, and thus, the idea that they are "terrorists" should be scoffed at by anyone whose ever had to deal with hogosha thugs, or famers alliance raiders.

Hope that opinion helps
' Wrote:Well, I agree with just about everything you said. From the infocards, it seems that the Hideyoshi dynasty did not survive - however, should the Blood Dragons actually win, would they usher in a new dynasty?

The truth being, I see the Blood Dragons goal of ending the Samura backed regime. Samura stole the control of the Empire illegally, and rather dishonorably, and now have a stranglehold over the empire - for a family of merchants, controlling the lives of samurai, well, yeah (however, thats an ancient way of looking at things, as far as class division).

Should Samura be broken, and the control of the Empire in the hands of someone else, it would depend on who that person is, for the Blood Dragons to go with it - most likely, they should find someone they want to put on the throne, and fight to make him emperor.

as for foreign relations - yes, honestly, the Blood Dragons shooting most everyone just contributes to Kusari being an unfriendly place to everyone. honestly, for the majority of folks, who are tired of dealing with Hogosha and FA, the Blood Dragons should be ready allies. for a trader being in the middle of a shakedown by a couple Hogosha, the arrival of a Blood Dragon patrol should be a cause for joy - not "oh look, more pirates"

Why? Because the Blood Dragons are enemies of everything that makes the current kusari so inhospitable - hogosha criminals and farmers alliance zelots - and of course, samura being anti-gaijin, with the kusari navy and police, making sure all the crime runs smoothly and discreetly. anything that destabilizes that should be something the Blood Dragons endorse, assuming it doesnt hurt kusari as a whole. I dont see them being great friends with synth foods, but thats one of the few exceptions.

So, for the most part, I agree with you - i think there should be a figure that the Blood Dragons seek to put on the throne - without which, there whole movement will come to a screeching halt the moment Jein Kogen dies and Samura is crushed.
As well, the movement should be a bit more ambivalent toward outsiders, simply for the reason of appearing to be the saviours of liberal kusari, instead of the current regime which is full of a-holes. people should look to the blood dragon movement as a very wanted change, and thus, the idea that they are "terrorists" should be scoffed at by anyone whose ever had to deal with hogosha thugs, or famers alliance raiders.

Hope that opinion helps

In the bolded part lies the problem - though I'm not sure it would have to be a specific person. Just the idea of removing Keiretsu (Kishiro and Samura) influence from the government - as it was before the Sakura Coup.

Right now, Blood Dragons have no reason not to see Kishiro as nothing more than a legitimate trading (mega-)corporation. But with the .86 lore and with Kishiro-run government, that should change somewhat.

Oh, and Hideyoshi's government had groups with opposing political views in it. I don't see Blood Dragons as having a homogenous and definitive stance on political issues - such as the old 'gaijin question'. Depends on who's leading them at the moment I guess.

But by and large, I agree with both Fran's points.
well, I do agree and do not agree with you:D

First) If this is true that nobody survived from Hideyoshi family, then there shouldn't be taishogun... or must be played as someone else but not hideyoshi successor. But maybe some son, who wasn't at the moment in palace could survive... you can play from that(if you want to)

Second) You are not freedom fighters(equal kusari for all YAY), you are fighting against greedy samura regime, to re-establish your own Hideyoshi regime... wich was even more anti-gaijin then this one. + How will you RP in .86 if you will switch to this changes.... we will have more democratic regime... without soo hated emperor, will you surrender then? or will you find other "bad" peoples to fight and continue your mission to re-establish hideyoshi regime?
About Roppongi infocard, well it shows that there was no other way(maybe only kick them out of kusari... but if they owned all codes = kusari locked), because IC already owned all JGs and TLs in Kusari.
West - "wich was even more anti-gaijin then this one."

Care to back that up with some lore? If You read Fran's post, specifically the Roppongi infocard, it reads as if the pre-Sakura coup government was more welcoming to foreigners than Samura's...
' Wrote:wich was even more anti-gaijin then this one.

Citation Needed
from the same thing about roppongi, shogunate were allowing foreigners to trade in kusari, but not to settle there. Later something changed and they allowed:D

Maybe I missread something, sorry for that.. but again, if we with kishiro inpower... will have more welcome kusari for foreingers... what goals will bd have?
' Wrote:but again, if we with kishiro inpower... will have more welcome kusari for foreingers... what goals will bd have?
' Wrote:But now comes the tricky part: Dragons want to re-establish 'a' legitimate government. But what kind of government? The first infocard mentions that young bureaucrat speaking of change, but what kind of change would involve this legitimate government that Dragons seek? Removing the corporate influence and re-establish the full power of the Shogunate? A military-based government? Introduction of tiny bits of democracy by allowing population to vote for planetary governors and lesser positions? And since there's women fighting among BDragons ranks, how could this affect to Dragons' mindset after 500 years?
Why do you think I created this thread? Because I want people's suggestion/opinions/whatever in that matter, among others. Geez.
I'm guessing they'll see Kishiro as illegitimate successors to an already illegitimate regime. Removing corporate influences from the government, so they can restore a 'pure' Kusari government seems like a good overall goal for the Dragons.
I'd say have the BD work towards restoring a shogunate. It doesn't have to be an insular and gender biased shogunate, but the return to a feudal system as a legitamate government seems to fit them.

You could say that over the 500 years of fighting some women and foreigners, though few in number, have attained samurai status. That would allow women to participate in the shogunate and would account for the increased gaijin presence.

As for who runs it, make it a real shogunate. Establish feudal loyalties by having duels among the bd. The winners take the oath of the losers and the losers retinue. Then the final three or four winners can appoint strategists and officers from within thier retinues. If you need to unruffle some feathers you can appoint a fictional warrior as the final leader. Or you can have the last three or four warriors battle it out and then have them swear oath to the final winner. The final winner would be the one to ascend to the throne of the shogunate if the bd ever win. If you want to keep the current officers just script out the battles. I'd still have the actuall duels, just script it so the officers win. Then to replace an officer who wants to leave, script a battle for him/her to lose.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6