Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Bible of Hank
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Waking from the Californian dream. If one could distil hangover and awkwardness
in a bottle that'd be waking up on Los Angeles after a night of heavy drinking...Welcome to California. The
land of constant sun, and just by the way an icy planet named Minor so it doesn't ruin the perfected image.
In the same line of thoughts welcome to the planet Los Angeles, the land of beaches, summer, sex and money.
Brilliance, now give a hug to your wife sleeping naked next to you...wait a second that's not your wife, not
again. A mysterious girl laying next to you and her identity is obscured behind a cloud of tequila shots, nice going
Hank. Even worse your hand seems to be locked underneath her, making the "escaping lover" tactic rather
useless, and where the hell would you run it's your flat anyway.

Rewind, who am I...thinking in metaphorically intoxicated prose. Name's Henry Nero, Hank for short. Born
on motherfrakking Manhattan. A journalist by profession. I've spend so much time sticking my nose in other
people's lives that it became insensitive to the stench of my own crapped self. And yet though I know my
own history, who am I, and more importantly who is this girl right next to me? Another so to be conquest to
help me forget my wife, always ending in the same awkward situation when the level of alcohol in her blood
is low enough so she can actually notice the ominous ring on my finger. But before that she will wake up
and kiss me, maybe smile if she's not feeling too hungover...Aaaaand here it is the movement I did not
want to see, the beauty waking up after the 100 years of sleep...

"Hey there..." the still "unnamed" girl said smiling and kissed Hank to his dismay.

"Ummh why hello there" mumbled Hank answering her kisses

And here it is, the one and only moment THE awkward moment, not knowing what to say or do.

"Uhh I'll go cook some breakfast"

"It's alright, Hank..."

Brilliant she knows my name and I don't.

"It's alright, as it was alright the last time" she continued softly pulling him closer

Last time? What frakking last time? God what the f...Wait, zoom in on her face, I know that face, yes of
course you know you tool, you slept with her last week, and the week before, probably even two weeks ago as well.

And suddenly the awkward moment turns into a long waking nightmare, a nightmare you are aware of but
yet you completely forget so it's a whole new ride every time you go through it. And you remember now,
you mind slowly comes to focus as you see her face in hazy-blue moments of bliss, her name comes about
as well Mariana. The mystery is solved but sadly it just digs your little hole deeper and deeper. And that's
what gives you away; the moment of self realisation, you get so absorbed in yourself that the surroundings
become colourless to you.

"For how long Hank? For how long are you going to get senselessly drunk and then call
me? Do you think I don't have feelings, I'm sort of a droid to be used and then thrown away."

she wasn't happy at all

"For as long as it takes...and as long as you keep answering my calls"

"You really don't have anything do you..." she said with her eyes wetting

How do you say to a girl that you don't feel anything for her? How do you tell her you really love your
wife and the only reason you've slept with her is that you with to drown your sorrow, your regret perhaps
even prove to yourself that you can still be attractive to women. What the frakk do you say Hank?...

The long answer: nothing at all, the short answer: nothing. Indeed there is nothing in the world that can
make the situation right. And silence as painful as it is, is indeed the "right" choice

"Well then..."
she got up and angrily begun dressing up "...you can' pretty much erase my number, because sure as hell I will erase yours"

She was dressed now, heading for the door, ready for the that final punch line that kills you and makes you
want to chase her to the end of the world to prove her wrong.

"And I've had better sex in high-school too"

"Ouch that hurt, too bad you didn't evolve much from the high-school whore either"

Yeah that's right Hank, insult her. Insult her because you know she's right. Hurt another woman, another
conquest, believing that you are superior that they are just lowly creatures to be used and then thrown
away while in fact your whole life revolves around being liked by the same lowly creatures you so hastily
insult. Great job indeed.

Fast forward - light cigarette and inhale some fresh yet to be polluted air. It's early morning the
California Major is yet to rise above the well lit skyscrapers dotting the enormous city housing nearly 200 of
the 360 million populating the planet. The sad thing is this idyllic setting does not contribute to my mood at
all. Well done Hank, well-frakking-done. Turning 43 in 2 weeks and still not knowing what's going on around
me, craving for my wife's attention while trying to bone everything that moves. Great plan indeed. And
watching life just scroll away before my eyes just led to a simple conclusion. I've accomplished
nothing...nothing at all. Writing about other people's lives, too damned arrogant to let go of what I've lost
waking up at 43 and suddenly feeling incomplete. Something must change

[Image: Untitled-4-1.jpg]

Time flies fast, faster than you wish, before you know it you are in a junk yard trying to buy yourself some
change, just as wrecked as you are, but a change nevertheless.

"Weeeelcome to Budawski's scrapyard what can I interest you in sir?"

"Something that flies, and keeps a consistent atmosphere"

"Indeed I have what you need, follow me! What do you think of this selection of excellent space fighters, only slightly rusty and banged! Perfect for your, I can tell!"

"Looks like a pile of crap to me, but keep on kissing my arse it's actually nice..."

As hard it is to believe the salesman remained silent

"That one" Hank pointed in the general direction of a wingless Sabre "The one without the wing, how much do you want for it?"

"That's an excellent choice sir! I'd say 1 500 000 Credits?"

Hank remained silent then took a step forward taking his glasses off

"Do I look like a hooker Budawski?"

"Why, no sir!"

"Then why are trying to frakk me like one? I'll give you 250 000 credits for that wingless piece of trash, and not a chip more!"

"Uh...ok, ok, here are the activation codes, you might wanna check the life support system before you take off though, I salvaged it from a battlefield and the pilot must have ejected since half the cockpit was gone, I put in a Dagger one, looked similar enough"

"Perfectly space worthy my arse...."
To: L.A.TE Magazine <l8tmag@neuralmail.si>
CC: None
Subject: My column this week.

Humans are pathetic beings, in every single aspect. We spend our lives whining about things or
reading forward slash listening to other people whine. Deal with it, you will have to endure my self-righteous
whining for a while. That is of course if you don'€™t wish to pretend you'€™ve got a choice and just skip it (which
I would do if I were you) but on the other hand you just spent your hard earned credit to buy this magazine
so you might as well stay for the ride.

The reason behind this week'€™s sore attitude is simple, I realized how absolutely primitive we are. We hide
behind advanced technologies, space flight and interplanetary commerce craftfuly hiding the simple fact that
apart from the clothes we ware and the horses we ride we haven'€™t really evolved in the past 10 000 years.
And sadly history is not on our side as demonstrated by hundreds of extinct species at the end of their
evolution. One thing we haven'€™t stopped advancing however are the means to deceive ourselves. And
self-deception there will be even by people reading those lines. '€œWhat the hell do you know '€˜bout that Hank,
we split atoms, travel faster than light, and live up to 100 years! That'€™s evolution!'€ Or is it'€¦ Maybe we were
too busy trying to erase each other from history to notice that we were capable of those things long ago.
But that'€™s not the worst part; the worst part is that we'€™ve stopped evolving mentally. The very thing that set
us apart from all the other species on Earth is now taken for granted we are smart we are stunningly
awesome and we can'€™t get any better than that. Evolution has become a function of technology, we rely on
technology to create more advanced technology, having a holographic screen is better than a thin glass
display, though it serves exactly the same purpose, a car that hovers 2 feet above the ground is better than
a terradyne even though both are used for transportation as were horses before the invention of the
internal combustion engine. Our evolution became a quest to mindlessly improve the way we live without
actually realizing we aren'€™t changing what we do just the means to do it. And here comes the shining
revelation about the author of this post-human tirade. Trying to desperately reverse my evolution (because
moving backwards is better than not moving at all) with a bottle of whiskey I effectively fast forwarded
through time, 20 years through time to be precise, only to find myself in the uncomfortable situation of
being 43 and waking up next to a woman you don'€™t recognize. Even worse, a woman that you'€™ve had sexual
encounters with before every single one perfectly obscured by 7 year old bottled amnesia with amber
colour. So Hank decided to evolve, to man up and face the gravity of the situation. You are 43, you hate
yourself, and your life'€™s been a black hole contributing frakk-all to the so called advancement of humanity.
So like a true human being Hank changed something in his life, he bought space fighter. Woo weee why not,
800 years ago people bought fast cars, we'€™ve evolved so I bought a fast ship because cars that hit 430mph
simply don'€™t cut it anymore. A perfect proof of everything I just whined about don'€™t you think? 10 000 years
of evolution so I can buy a space superiority fighter just to escape from reality and forget about my
occasional erection problems. Mid-life crisis friends, only that we now live to 100ish so it'€™s not exactly
mid-life as well. Who needs evolution when you'€™ve got already discovered things simply made better, and
who cares if we are primitive when we can be Gods after a bottle of booze.
And here we are again 3 months and 2 relationship later, total advancement index 0.
Smoking a cigarette and looking over L.A's skyline. It's never that simple to blame the mess your life has
become on yourself however, a convenient victim is always easier to point out, something to transfer your own
failures to.So behold today's victim. The wonderful building right in the middle of downtown LA, the one
resembling the Liberty only hollow in the middle. Hank couldn't help but wonder why would they keep building
those buildings reminding them of a ship, a ship which was nothing more than a white flag in war...And why
would our dear Libertonians insist on building everything in Art Deco...Have we forgot the evolution? Both
cultural and biological so we keep building things with the same boring old shape for 800 years, more in fact if
you count the short lived fascination with the style in the 30s of the 20th century. Sure enough, "civilization"
survived because of that ugly fish but at the end of the day one realized that mankind survived for much
longer because of its sexual organs, yet there weren't buildings resembling vaginas and penises. Hypocrisy,
pure human hypocrisy. And since we started why not blame the nomad invasion 20 years ago on that building!
Yeah that seems like a nice victim, blame the building Hank. It stands up a mile in the sky saying frakk-all
about anything, and has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you are nothing than an over glorified
failure. Yep blame it on an inanimate object because it cannot say no to you, it cannot object.
Boo-frakking-hoo a big man aren't you. And yet you will see another sunset, you will go out put on your
douchebaggish face and lure yet another woman as a beautiful shining red tape confining your own complexes
of not being able to settle down for 40 years. Yep inhale the smoke Hank and hope it hides the truth, go out. At
least you are doing something right in your life with the pilot lessons. Pray you don't have a heart attack
before you finish them...
Like always Hank woke up early in the morning at about 2pm, belching loudly and trying to get the
taste of whiskey away from his mouth with a can of beer. His computer had a message on it

Quote:
To: Henry Jameson Nero
About: Flight test results

Mister Nero, I regret to inform you that you have failed your flight test. You failed to fulfil the minimum
criteria required for the safe operation of a Series "Z" Borderworld Fighter. You are eligible to take the test
again for further 30 000 Sirius Credits. Here are your marks:

Flight Control: 4/10 Considered Pass
Navigation: 1/10 Fail
Radar Operation: 3/10 Fail
Engine Management: 1/10 Fail
Communication Systems: 6/10 Pass
Defensive Systems: 3/10 Fail
Cargo Management: 0/10 Not assessed

Examiner's Notes: The examinee showed little respect for his own safety and the safety of his machine,
further more his preparation for the test was abysmal. Flight Control was erratic at best and subsystems
management was completely random.

Hank lit a cigarette and put on a smile resembling that of a man who had just scored with the subject of his wet dreams.

"Aaaaaalright now that's out of the way time to take the this one winged obese beauty
to her prom night!"