Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Upgrading my RAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm thinking of getting 16GB of RAM to replace the 4GB I have at the moment, on a budget of £110.
Here's my PC specs:
650W Power Supply
AMD Phenom II Quad-Core processor
Asus M5A87 Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 560TI graphics card

What RAM would you guys recommend/would work with this setup?
Are you actually using any RAM-hungry software? Games don't really count, they never really use that much, only a few titles push usage. Otherwise such upgrade wouldn't really change much.
Well, I do have ArmA II, which is pretty memory-intensive for a 4GB.
16GB of RAM is what I consider full retard.

Unless you're into real time HD+ video encoding and rendering or 10000 dpi digital art with 50 Adobe Photoshop at once, 8GB is the most feasible with 12GB with being the absolute maximum for most uses.
what OS are you useing as windows 7 premium can only process up to 16 gigs and xp can do 8 i think

personally i plan on dumping some major money on my computer when i upgrade to window 7 pro which can handle up to about 120 gigs of ram (ram server ftw)

also goto this website http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

download the thing its like less then 1 MB it will then redirect you to a page that will show you what brands of ram will work best with your computer thats always what ive used to upgrade my ram.
' Wrote:Well, I do have ArmA II, which is pretty memory-intensive for a 4GB.

ArmA 2 is a 32 bit program isn't it? Meaning anything more than 3 gigs is going to be useless as the game wont recognize it.

16 gigs is completely insane, go for 8 and leave it for the next 4 years.
You only need 8 GB.
I recommend Corsair or Kingstone as brand
And check what frequency is your motherboard supporting for your RAM

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Pl...#specifications
4 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 Hz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

I recommend to go for 1333 Hz.
LOL i just went and downoladed this scanner and it came up with multiple threats detected. using avg full.
is this a false positive that is known about or what....?
regards
Then take 4x4GB or 2x8GB of 1600MHz RAMs, 2000 ones are more expensive without any noticeable gain in performance.

Pick one:P
arma 2 needs a solid state hard disk too . don't think 16 gig would do any more good
maybe invest in a better video card
Pages: 1 2