Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: An Unscheduled Vacation Of Sorts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Behold! Our latest technological marvel! The end result of weeks of intense research and hours apon hours of grueling construction! A device so brimming with potential and simple genius..."

"It looks like a mirage to me", Joel interjects.

"... that it has the potential to change the course of human history!", George begins to continue but he is interrupted when the device begins to beep loudly.

"What does that mean?"

"It means you should avert your eyes".

"Why?"

"Quickly!"

Jack speaks up for the first time since the beginning of the presentation, "Joel, you really should do as he says", he states in a to-calm voice as he turns around and covers his eyes.

Five seconds pass, the beeps increase in pitch and tempo until it sounds like a single piercing shriek. Impossibly, the noise becomes even sharper for a second and a blinding flash of light, visible even with eyes closed and hands covering faces, fills the room.

Mercifully the noise stops.

Joel slowly climbs from where he is crouched on the ground, "what the heck just happened!"

----

Half an hour later, when everyone’s ears had stopped ringing, George begins to explain the device, “the idea behind the device is really quite simple; instead of increasing the mass of an area of space and thus creating a gravity-well, it does the opposite and creates a bubble of space where all objects have a mass of absolute zero”.

Joel remains silent for a moment before slowly raising his hand, “two questions: one, how the heck is that even possible? And two, what’s the point?”

“The science is far too complicated to explain in words so I’m not even going to try”, George replies dismissively.

“As to the point… well let me show you”, Jack finishes. Jack reaches into one of the pockets of his greatcoat (its many pockets had become a necessity lately, used to store tools, nanite blocks and data-chips) and pulls out a small hologram projector. Jack holds the small disk out in front of him and pushes a button on its side, “time, mass, gravity and light are all interlinked. A good example of this is a Black Hole”, as Jack speaks the projector emits a single beam of light which quickly widen into a sphere. “The incredible mass of a Black Hole gives it a massive gravity-well”, there is a disorienting rushing sensation as the hologram quickly zooms in on a quarter of the sphere. “This gravity-well is so powerful that the relative speed of light near a Black Hole is slowed to such a degree that it cannot escape”, a line (helpfully labelled ‘light’) appears and begins to travel towards the quarter-sphere. Upon touching the sphere, its speed diminishes slightly and it curves towards where the centre of the sphere would be had it not been cut into quarters; as it travels its curve grows sharper and sharper but its speed slows drastically. Jack presses another button and the hologram disappears; “now… would you agree with me that in empty space, there is no gravity?”

Joel nods, “if you aren’t close to a planet or asteroid or anything, then yes”.

George smiles, “wrong! If you have mass then something else with mass, no matter how far away it is, will pull you towards it or it towards you. No matter how far away you travel, you can’t escape gravity”.

“You learn something new every day”, Joel replies sarcastically, “is there a point to this?”

“The point is that light will also never be outside the reach of gravity!” George exclaims excitedly.

Joel looks at him flatly, “so…?”

George sighs and Jack takes up the explanation where George left off, “the speed of light is relative, as you saw it can be altered by gravity-wells. What we take for granted as the ‘normal’ speed of light is in fact just the average speed of light when far away from any large gravity-wells”.

Joel speaks up again, “once again, what’s the point to all this?”

George grins, “what would happen… if light wasn’t affected by gravity?”

“The speed of light would increase, wouldn’t it?”

George begins rubbing his hands together with glee, “not just increase, it would become infinite!”

Jack takes up the explanation, “that’s what the machine does; it creates a bubble of space where gravity-wells diminish in strength. As a result, the speed of light is faster inside the bubble than it is outside the bubble”.

Joel looks thoughtful, “altering the speed of light… that is impressive, but what are the practical implications, how does that help us? All I saw was a bubble of shimmering air, kind of like a mirage but more pronounced”.

“The optical illusion is caused by refraction as rays of light travel through what is essentially a different medium. When the machine shut down, the speed of light inside the bubble was instantaneously lowered to its original value. The bright flash occurred as the same effect that causes the mirage was applied to the entire area of the bubble instead of only the edges”, Jack explains. “As to the practical implications, consider this: current FTL technology requires the use of a sending and receiving Jump Gate or, in the case of our own JHC drive, the coordinates of the destination Jump Hole. When colonizing new systems ships must travel either through the constantly shifting Jump Hole network, a dangerous proposition when entering new territory, or send construction ships at sub-luminal speeds to the system to build a receiving Jump Gate”, Jack pauses, “basically, it’s a pain in the butt”.

“The underlying problem is that ships can’t travel faster than the speed of light. You can circumvent that by messing with space, but as Jack explained before that method has its own problems”, George explains.

Realization dawns on Joel’s face, “wait! Are you saying that this machine will allow us to break the speed of light?”

George looks surprised at that, “what? No! I just said that was impossible didn’t I?”

“Well then what are you trying to get at?” Joel replies, looking annoyed.

“If you raise the speed of light, say by a factor of two, in a thin column of space between your starting point and your destination then you can travel through that column twice as fast while expending the same amount of energy”, George explains in a lecturing tone.

“But you would break the speed of light if you made the column powerful enough right?” Joel interrupts.

“No! You can’t br…”

“What George is trying to say”, Jack cuts in, “is that you would never actually break the speed of light because the speed of light inside that column would be faster than the speed of light outside the column. So no matter how powerful you make the column and no matter how fast you go, the speed of light will always be faster… it’s actually very convenient”.

Joel nods his understanding, “thank you”. Turning to George he asks, “why the heck couldn’t you say that?”

“Because it should be blindingly obvious”, George replies.

Joel let's his head fall forward and pinches the top of his nose, "you realize that you don't need to explain your inventions to me right? Just show me where it needs to go and lend me someone from the labs to supervise, my team and I can get it installed just as quicky".

"Nice try Joel, you still get briefings on any new tech", Jack chides.

"Well, it was worth a try".
Daam K'€™vosh crystal at maximum safe capacity
Imitation crystal 1 at maximum safe capacity
Imitation crystal 2 at maximum safe capacity
Link not established

Conventional core at 98% capacity
ETA to depletion of core fuel at current rate of consumption is 42d 6h 36m

Backup power at 67%
ETA to maximum charge at current rate of recharge is 2d 14h 53m

JHC drive is fully operational
Gravitational shielding is fully operational

Bubble drive
Diagnostic in progress

Jack looks up from the engineering console, '€œGeorge, why is the mass manipulation machine listed as the '€˜Bubble Drive'?"

'€œIt looks like a giant shimmering bubble when it'€™s turned on'€, he replies with a shrug, '€œand because it was my turn to name something'€.

'€œ'€¦ I suppose that makes sense'€, Jack concedes as he turns back to the console screen.

'€œDiagnostic is complete, activating Daam K'€™Vosh crystal'€, the Daam K'€™Vosh power crystal sitting atop the pedestal in the middle of the core room bursts to life at George'€™s words, casting a brilliant blue glow throughout the room.

'€œSealing the pedestal'€, Jack pushes a series of buttons on his console and the glow disappears as the crystal is lowered into the pedestal and an iris-shaped hatch closes over it. '€œNo anomalies detected, activate the others'€. The two crystals that had been reverse engineered from the Daam K'€™Vosh technology sit on either side of the pedestal in short, wide, radiation-sealed containers; each is bolted to the floor to prevent the heavy containers from moving. At Jack'€™s command a low hum is heard and lights around the edges of the containers glow green, indicating that the crystals are active.

'€œEverything looks good, stay here and help Joel keep an eye on everything when he gets here'€, Jack says to Joel, '€œI'€™ll tell you when we'€™re ready for the test'€.

George nods absent-mindedly, already immersed in his console screen.

----

'€œCalculations are complete, are you ready George?'€

'€œYeah, just give the word'€.

Jack strides across the bridge to his chair and sits down, his eyes glow and he makes a single gesture in front of him. '€œAll crew to Jump stations, all crew to Jump stations'€, an emotionless voice declares over the ship'€™s speakers.

'€œGeorge, bring the drive to full power'€¦ slowly'€, Jack says into his earpiece.

'€œOkay'€, says George(more to himself than anybody else by the sounds of it), '€œbringing it up to one and one half times the speed of light'€.

Outside the ship, visible from the bridge, the Graf Zeppelin is surrounded by a faint rippling effect as the Bubble Drive raises the speed of light around the ship.

'€œContinuing to eight times the speed of light'€.

The rippling sphere around the Graf Zeppelin slowly becomes much more pronounced.

'€œTwenty times, sixty times, one-hundred and eighty times, three hundred and sixty times, eight hundred times'€¦ the rate of increase is becoming faster, we'€™re approaching zero mass.'€

'€œTone it down to five hundred and hold it there'€.

The sphere becomes slightly less pronounced; even so it is still almost impossible to see anything past the drive'€™s affected area. George'€™s voice crackles through Jack'€™s earpiece once again, '€œthe field is holding at five hundred, at the rate the crystals are being drained the failsafes will activate in two minutes and'€¦ forty-two seconds'€.

'€œDouble check the calculations, make sure we'€™ll come out in the right place; when that'€™s done start the countdown.'€

'€œThis won'€™t take a minute'€, George replies confidently, shortly after the earpiece crackles as George ends the communication.
The Drive deactivates in a blinding flash of light that leaves most of the bridge crew with hands clasped over their eyes. Due to his bionic eyes Jack is the first to recover, with a small gesture his earpiece crackles to life again, '€œGeorge? What happened? It was supposed to deactivate slowly'€.

'€œI'€™m not entirely sure'€, George'€™s voice answers slowly, '€œgive me a moment; I'€™m on my way'€, the earpiece crackles as it goes dead once more.

Jack unstraps himself from his chair on the bridge and walks to the front of the bridge to get a better view of the system they had arrived in; mutters of awe fill the bridge. As far as the eye can see in every direction, wrecks of leviathan ships float hauntingly. No two wrecks are the same design but they all seem to have been damaged by weapons fire; one wreck easily thrice as long as a Liberty Dreadnaught had been almost bisected by what must have been a weapon of obscene power. As Jack watches, the wreck collides with another burnt-out hull and breaks in two from the impact, finishing the job that the unknown weapon (probably fired by one of the many ships floating here) had started so long ago.

'€œWhat'€¦ what happened here?'€ A voice asks from behind Jack.

'€œSome sort of battle I think'€, Jack replies as he turns around to find George standing behind him staring out at the graveyard of ships. '€œJudging by the state of decay the wrecks are in, I would say it happened a very long time ago.'€

'€œI certainly hope so'€¦ I don'€™t want to meet whatever did that'€, George gestures towards a particularly colossal wreck which had been split into six very neat pieces connected only by the occasional wire or cable.

Jack looks past George to the bridge crew sitting at their assorted consoles, '€œmove us out of this debris field, it'€™s tempting fate to stay among all these randomly moving wrecks'€.

The bridge crew manages to tear their gazes way from the view outside and set to work, the Graf Zeppelin soon turns and begins cruising out of the graveyard.
'€œI can'€™t comprehend how amazingly lucky we were to not hit any of this stuff before the drive cut out'€ George states from Jack'€™s side.

Jack nods silently in agreement, continuing to watch the massive wrecks silently pass the Graf Zeppelin as they continue to move out of the debris field. They had been traveling at cruise speed for almost three hours now and it appeared that they would be traveling for quite a bit longer before they finally managed to clear the graveyard.

'€œExplain to me again why we can'€™t just jump out of here?'€ Joel asks as he approaches from the rear of the bridge.

'€œSomething in this debris field is detecting and counteracting any alterations we make to the area'€™s gravity-well. It was probably to stop any of these ships escaping the battle that occurred here'€, Jack replies without looking away.

'€œSo all we have to do is keep traveling in one direction and we'€™ll eventually travel outside this jammer'€™s area of effect right?'€

'€œThat'€™s what we hope will happen, but by the looks of it we have a long way to go before we clear the edge of the debris field... everyone must have been monumentally annoyed with one another to start a battle this big'€.

George opens his mouth to say something but is cut off when one of the bridge crew calls out from the rear of the bridge, '€œgravity-well detected!'€

Jack and George turn sharply to look at the man who had spoken, '€œwhere? How large?'€ Jack asks quickly.

'€œI-I don'€™t know'€¦ It'€™s massive, the equipment can'€™t calculate it. All it can tell me is that it'€™s there'€.

'€œShut down cruise engines, try and get a bearing on the point of origin.'€

The Graf Zeppelin'€™s cruise engines shut down abruptly leaving the ship drifting; almost immediately, manoeuvring thrusters ignite along the ship'€™s front, slowing it to a halt. George is instantly standing behind the sensor console, peering intensely over the shoulder of the man that had originally detected the gravity-well. '€œWhy didn'€™t you detect it before now?'€, he snaps.

'€œI-I don'€™t know, one moment there was nothing and then'€¦suddenly there was'€.

George looks up at Jack, '€œit has to be artificial, there'€™s no way we would miss something like this. Heck, we could probably detect a gravity-well this size from the next solar system!'€

Joel strides quickly to the bridge'€™s exit, '€œsomething'€™s not right; I'€™m heading back to the core room, keep me posted on what'€™s happening'€.

'€œWait!'€, George exclaims suddenly. Everyone on the bridge turns to look at George, Joel stops in his tracks. '€œThe gravity-well just disappeared'€.

'€œMaybe the jammer stopped it'€, Joel says from his position halfway out of the door.

George shakes his head and starts pacing, "if that were the case it would have counteracted it long before now, perhaps..."

Without warning a deafening alert sounds throughout the ship.