Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Alliances, how they should be treated and Ship sharing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
In light of the current discussions going around about ship usage etc. I would like to maybe get some insight into what an alliance between factions means to you.

To me i see it as a meeting of common goals or enemies. Both sides of the alliance, in my mind, would share their standard equipment (those not known to be directly exclusive, like the Tizzies and coladas of the Corsairs). They would offer a safe place to dock for their allies. And offer them back up in times of trouble. I personally however cannot see that they would share their ship designs with their allies however. These would be regarded as a very close kept secret, allowing the faction to keep whatever advantage they believed they had as their own, in case of any switch of diplomacy.

I tend to think of it as this. The Royal Navy and the US Naval forces work together commonly in exercises and in combat. The Royal Navy don't use Nimitz class Aircraft carriers though, and the US navy do not use any Type 45 frigates that the Royal Navy have 'lying around'. So to me there would be no sense in some factions stating that they are allied with this, that and the other, allowing them to use any of their ships.

If it was like that then we may very well get some factions stating that they made a deal with whats his name, now i get to fly their uber pwn3r ship.

What do you all think? what are your views on how alliances should be formed and worked?
Depends on their relationship. For example, the Order currently has access to Corsair ships, as they have next to none of their own.

EDIT: What I mean is, next to no ship classes. Just VHF and Battleship. Bit sparse, no?
Actually, the USA will sell pretty much anything to their allies for the right price. Heck, they have even been selling F-16's to people most would not call allies.

But it would really depend on the relationship. In my mind, the Outcasts would share everything with the Golden Chrysanthemums, because the GC are 100% dependant on the Outcasts for cardamine. The GC can't go anywhere else to get it, so the Outcasts are safe knowing the GC will not switch sides.

However they might not be so trustful of the Blood Dragons, especially since the BD don't seem to like card that much.

And for ships none of the other allies really needs them, except for the Outcast Destroyer. And I don't think there are very many of those in LR or Lane Hacker hands.

But yes, I think in most situations in game technology and ship sharing make sense.
Why? said the thing about the F-16 already.. They wouldn't sell/share their blueprints and other things, but they would sell the ships. Also, the US and several European countries are currently working together on the making of a brand new aircraft (can't remember the name atm) that is extremely high-tech and expensive.. The US COULD make it by themselves, but they are sharing the knowledge, and in effect the responsibility of manufacturing it, with other countries.
Hmm, note that US exports like this tend to be surpassed by the craft they use in their own forces.

I would personally sell inferior gear to potential future threats. Makes sense to me.
Well, they all purchase their weapons from the arm industry. And this industrie doesn't make a diffrence between the US, UK or Pakistan.

But in freelancer, each military seems to produce its own ships, they would never share, i think.
' Wrote:Hmm, note that US exports like this tend to be surpassed by the craft they use in their own forces.

I would personally sell inferior gear to potential future threats. Makes sense to me.

They might be surpassed by the very latest and greatest craft in the US military, but their aren't actually that many of them out there.

Take the F-16. Its replacement is out, but just barely. And other countries, such as Australia, are already lobbying to be sold some. And as of 2006, the plan was to only have 183 F-22's, at 336 million a piece. There have been 4300 F-16's built, half of which are for the USA. So that means the USA still has 1900 or more F-16's still in service, while they are selling them to almost anyone, including countries like Turkey.
Well i just think that yes, selling fighters etc may be ok, it is done atm true. But i personally think that a state of the art battleship, example already given here of the outcast dessie, would not be sold to others. I don't know, i just seem to think that to RP the roles that each faction has, they should abide by the ship lists given. Maybe with an exception to the Order, as i know that they are very thin on the ground in their own ship choice.

IMO some of the factions have not been given huge capships to fit in with their rp, and they should adapt and use tactics to solve this. Looking at the Xenos, we have no capital ships, yet we make do with our bombers and fighters. And play the role very well.

Remember this is just opinion.
' Wrote:They might be surpassed by the very latest and greatest craft in the US military, but their aren't actually that many of them out there.

Take the F-16. Its replacement is out, but just barely. And other countries, such as Australia, are already lobbying to be sold some. And as of 2006, the plan was to only have 183 F-22's, at 336 million a piece. There have been 4300 F-16's built, half of which are for the USA. So that means the USA still has 1900 or more F-16's still in service, while they are selling them to almost anyone, including countries like Turkey.

Turkey is one of the USA's strongest allies, so that doesn't count for much, whilst it is still illegal to sell the F-22 to foreign nations.
Moreover, one might want to consider the worth of an atmospheric plane, with hours of flighttime, as compared to a craft that one can live in.
Or play the SP again, and look at how much bigger than trent (a pretty big man) a bloody starflea is. The ships are more than weapons, they're homes. They can support a pilot or a pair of pilots indefinately, and traverse the depths of space. Name a military boat that a nation sells, will you? Because your grounds of comparison is broken. Spaceship
Pages: 1 2 3