Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Incoming Signal:
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Omicron Gamma listening satellite # 564 detecting incoming transmission from Planet Malta, Omicron Alpha.

Source: Unknown, scrambled. Attempting to block signal...

Unable to comply, Elder permissions activated. Signal has not been blocked. Attempting to log event.

Unable to comply, Elder permissions activated. Deleting last entry in event roster.

Completed.
Omicron Gamma listening satellite # 564 detecting incoming transmission from Planet Crete, Omicron Gamma.

Routing message through source nodes, target destination? Planet Malta, Omicron Alpha.

WARNING: Activating security protocols. Attempting to log entry into Cretan criminal database...

Unable to comply, Elder permissions activated. Linking with Zoner source node at location #839439, Omicron Theta. Next source node Omicron Eta, Outcast controlled.

Attempting to log entry into internal database.

Unable to comply, Elder permissions activated. Deleting last entry in even roster.

Completed.
Omicron Gamma listening satellite # 564 detecting incoming transmission from Planet Crete, Omicron Gamma.

Unmanned transport incoming. Transmit source of launch and destination...

Source = Planet Crete

Destination = Classified

Classified = Unknown destination. Please transmit destination.

Acknowledged. Elder permissions activated. Destination = Classified recognized.

Scanning cargo hold...

Attempting to log 200 units of small arms and 50 units of pharmaceuticals into Cretan cargo database...

Attempt failed. Reason = Elder permissions activated. Deleting last entry in event roster.

Completed.
Juan faced his demons in his mind, his brother in arms, Raphael. His guilt of leadership. And his love of someone long since dead.

Treachery, guilt and love. Those were his demons.

The Corsair sought refuge in Crete's mountains. High in the atmosphere a rare tree grows, beautiful and twisted all at once. The first people who would later identify themselves as Corsairs attempted to domesticate the plant, only to find that it can not produce the rare and delicious fruit on padded soil and perfect conditions.

This tree only grows fruit in the most extreme and hurtful conditions. Each tree bears an amount of fruit proportional to the elevation that it is found in. Simply put, the higher the better.

The Corsair often came to this area to think and clear his mind of all the problems of the sector. Human problems. The tree swayed with the wind, it's delicate petals floating down around the area, a contrast to the angry red sun and the arid environment.

In the middle of his thoughts, he took out his datapad and typed a message to someone.

Comm ID: Juan Lucendez
To: Captain Ben Laowai
ID Trace: Planet Crete, Omicron Gamma

Displaying...

Captain. I have sent an attachment of coordinates along with this message. I require your council. I know I probably don't deserve it, but please trust me in these matters. I am lost, simply.

I will be at this location for several days. Take your time.

//End Transmission.

Juan Lucendez looked up from his datapad just in time to witness the bulbous red dwarf sink into the horizon, as though Crete itself was eating it in revenge for the pain it caused the planet.

Juan pulled his thin coat over his slender body. It was about to get unnervingly cold.
' Wrote:Comm ID: Juan Lucendez
To: Captain Ben Laowai
ID Trace: Planet Crete, Omicron Gamma

Displaying...

Captain. I have sent an attachment of coordinates along with this message. I require your council. I know I probably don't deserve it, but please trust me in these matters. I am lost, simply.

I will be at this location for several days. Take your time.

//End Transmission.

Juan Lucendez looked up from his datapad just in time to witness the bulbous red dwarf sink into the horizon, as though Crete itself was eating it in revenge for the pain it caused the planet.

Juan pulled his thin coat over his slender body. It was about to get unnervingly cold.

The cabin in which he lay was warm, the fire easily heating the small room. Ben lay on his cot mulling over the events of the previous day. His word to the Outcast pilot he had killed, and how he might honour his promise. Actually getting the material into Outcast hands was easier said than done, he would need to approach one of their bases, or one of their pilots. A wonderful thought, since Outcasts and Corsairs usually shot first and asked Questions later....

His comm system beeped unexpectedly. He sat up. It was just after sundown, he had not been expecting any communications this night.

He moved across the room and sat down in front of the comm system. "computer, display incoming message" he said out loud. The comm system beeped and affirmation and the screen in front of him lit up.
Elder Lucendez's message flicked onto the screen.
Laowai read it with a sense of curiosity and concern. His dealings with Juan Lucendez had been few, once, outside the bar in Capital city at gunpoint, and then in the Corsair council, where it had been Juan who had traced Laowai's hack of the council session. Yet the Elder specifically asked his advice - He knew he could not refuse, partially out of a sense of duty to a fellow corsair who so obviously was in need, and also out of clear morbid curiosity.
"Computer, take message" he said.

Message dictation, Begin: The computers metallic voice spoke.

Elder Lucendez, This is Captain Ben Laowai.

I know the coordinates you have provided. I will be shortly before midday tomorrow. Expect my approach from the southwest.

Laowai out.

He had not yet unpacked his equipment from his foray with the Outcast pilot, come sun up he would leave. He knew the area indicated quite well, it would be no trouble to locate the Elder there on his own.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

He saw the smoke from Lucendez's campfire half an hour before he arrived. The Elder was sitting with his back to him as he approached the small camp quietly. He knew from the man's poise that he was aware of Laowai's approach, no doubt his scanner had indicated so minutes before.

"Elder Lucendez, you asked for my counsel, i am here, what is it that you wish to speak of"
"Please, senor, sit down. And don't call me by that title, I hate that title."

Without a word, Ben Laowai crossed the camp and sat down across from Juan.

"I have something for you. I thought you of all people would be able to appreciate it's importance, and give it the respect it deserves."

Juan Lucendez pulled a dark black and slender case out from behind a rock. It was roughly 3 meters long. The fire danced on the surface of the obsidian exterior, however it did not seem to betray any kind of seam.

"I want you to keep this safe for me. Keep it safely out of reach of the Outcasts, or anyone associated with the Golden Chrysanthemums. What this box houses may be the only reason why I came to our beloved homeworld in the first place, nobody must know about it, save the other Elders."

"And now I must apologize once again for jumping you when we first met. Somebody of Kusari heritage on Crete is rare enough, but one with a golden-inscribed pistol is even rarer. The element Gold is very rare in Kusari, and the only people rich enough and crazy enough to waste gold on decoration are the Chrysanthemums. Well, I'm getting ahead of myself."

Juan touched the side of the case with his right thumb. The hidden panel beeped and a seam started to form around the mid-section. The top half swung slowly open and a Katana-sized sword rose very slightly from the center.

"It's called the Nihontō. Before I tell you it's tale, I want to know if you accept or not. Remember, you are under no obligation."

Lucendez waited patiently for his response.
The Sword hung suspended slightly from the case that Juan held in his hand.

Ben studied it for a moment and then spoke. "I know what a Nihonto is Juan Lucendez, I am a Corsair, but my mother, if you do not know, was Kusari"

This weapon seemed to hold some special significance for the other man, of that there was no doubt. But the warning that came with it, gave him cause to hesitate. Keep it away from anyone associated with the Outcasts? with the Chrysanthemums? That such an innocuous object seemed to carry such worry.....

"I have no problem assisting you if thats what you require, you know i am bound to do so" Ben said "and should you wish me to hide this weapon, i could do so so that no one would ever find it, that for me is simple."

"But this sword has brought you all the way out here, and you seek me, a Corsair of no house and not an Elder to be its custodian.. yet you tell me that there are Elders who know of it, and i assume also know its story, It does beg the question as to... Why me? and why not of them?"

Lucendez said nothing and Ben went on. "I know the significance placed on these items by Kusari tradition, my own family is in possession of one, though i have not seen it for many, many years"

The embers of the fire nearby still glowed and Laowai reached down and tossed a few twigs on it, sending small sparks into the air. Small licks of flame danced around the wood as it slowly began to ignite.

"If hiding this weapon will somehow irritate Outcasts, then by all means - but since we are all the way out here, and i have come all this way, perhaps you might enlighten me a little as to why you ask this of me?"

Ben reached into his belt and removed a small sliver of dried Sloucher meat, tossing Juan a slice he bit off a chunk and as he chewed it he added. "You should know that if i hide that" he gestured to the sword, "It will never be found, of this you can be assured."

Swallowing, he bit off another chunk. The fire beside them began to grow a little and he nodded to Juan....

"So....." he said.
Juan paused for a lengthy time...

It was true, he had been sending signals to Malta, and had been receiving them. He had also shuttled some non-food supplies directly to Malta. The Elder chose his words carefully.

"The story behind that sword starts in the Kyushu system. I'm sure your aware of the Kusari company known as Kishiro. The sword was their product, polished to a shine. But what made this specific sword special was the technology it had on it. A matrix of crystal wiring was woven into the blade and the hilt was forged from the strongest and lightest metals known to man."

Juan stood up and picked the sword and unsheathed it. The gleaming metal and gold shone in the mid-evening sun. But the length stopped at a jagged edge, wires coming out of the tip.

"This sword was once strong. So strong that engineers started rumors that you could throw it into a star and it would survive the journey. This sword isn't just strong, the crystal lattice acts as a mini force field, deflecting both kinetic and laser weaponry. Obviously, nothing too strong, but small arms are ineffective. I am also the only one to have seen this weapon in action."

At this point, Juan trailed of and set the broken sword down.

"Many years ago I met an Outcasts on Planet Kyushu doing freight work for Samura. It was there that we formed a strong bond, so strong that I once referred to him as 'brother.' Raphael was his name, an amazing friend, we would help each other avoid pirates and sometimes work as a team to get our cargo through. All this hard work wasn't paying nearly what it was worth, so we moved into more ... questionable business.

Hauling Cardamine into Kusari.

I was young and impressionable, he was addicted and persuasive. Soon we had our own little business booming out of Ainu Depot. I even met a young Chrysanthemum girl there, Nerozi. We hit it off, as I had money to spend and she had connections with the smuggling trade. Soon I had people working under me and many more responsibilities. But I always insisted on doing at least one run with Raphael, we were a team him and I.

There was a problem, he was addicted to Cardamine and I kept a safe distance knowing to go down that path, I could never truly escape from it, there were disagreements, but ultimately it didn't matter. I was in it for the long haul, he didn't need anything more. Then, that opportunity came. Hit a Kishiro convoy, very well guarded, steal one bit of cargo and make more Credits than 30 runs. We obviously jumped to the idea, and soon the package was in our hold; small, incredibly small, black as obsidian, but more than that it was a mystery. I had to open it, there was no other choice, I found this sword."

Juan gestured to the worn golden and broken katana sitting by the fire.

"I was never one for swordplay, so Raph tried it out, he eventually found the shield setting and wowed all of our friends, even Nerozi. After our fun, what would we do except party? Celebration was definately called for, and Ainu Depot was swimming in new cash, but Raph made a terrible, terrible mistake."

Juan stopped suddenly and picked a flower petal off the nearby tree, throwing it over the side of the hill and watching it float down. After a while he continued.

"Raphael overdosed on Cardamine, he promised he wouldn't truly dose up around me, but it was a party and he was uniquely stoked after the big haul. As he took hit after hit, his reflexes started to become harder and swifter until finally he snapped. The room screamed out as guest after guest fell to the blade. Guards were called but their side-arms couldn't even dent the shield. Raph was an animal, his eyes were inhuman, blood red. I don't remember much from the evening, only that he saved me for last. After I powerlessly watched as he executed Nerozi, my finance, he turned the now red hot blade to me. I obviously meant more to him than any of the other guests, so he kicked on the the guard's wakizashis at me. Surprise, I was no match, he batted the weak blade out of his way. Again, he gave me another chance, Raph was playing with me, it was only a matter of time before he would end my life.

Then, something miraculous happened, he missed. Somehow after all that blood and death, he missed a perfectly open stab. I look back on it and realize that perhaps it was what was left of the true Raphael that led him to miss; I'm not sure, in the end, because I took the opportunity to jab him in the jaw and steal the blade, running it through his gut. His Cardamine-pumped body wouldn't give, so I twisted again and again. When I withdrew the blade it had snapped literally inside the man, leaving me with this."

Juan again motioned to the ground, lying innocently in the dirt.

"Which brings me to the present day. You now know the hesitation for my leadership position in Corsair society. I don't want this to become public knowledge, I'm ashamed for the things I've done, which is why I joined the Brotherhood in the first place. I wanted to make amends for my past actions, but when I was offered the position of Elder, I turned it down. I was fearful that my past would somehow come back to haunt me. I later accepted after coming to the realization that I've been living in fear for too much of my life. Fearful that the GC would get their hands on this technology, fearful that my past would become common knowledge to the Elders I served. I was done with it.

Now I must travel a path much closer to the belly of the beast. I must go away for weeks or even months at a time. Know, however that I will always live to strike down those who spread the disease known as Cardamine and bring the Outcast society to their collective knees. And I have a plan to do it, but it requires that I tread into Hell itself. I'm not sure I'll come out unscathed, but I want the true whereabouts of this blade to die with me, if it comes to that.

So, Laowai, what is your answer?"

// Edited: I beg forgiveness for my lateness with this posting, but since Laowai sent me the message we can end this quickly and get on with other pressing matters. Thanks to Laowai for his patience.
Ben sat and listened to the tale that Juan laid out before him. He eyed the blade now with new suspicion but at the same time wondered why Juan had held onto it for so long.

The weapon was obviously not indestructible, it had broken once, and it was nothing that a contained matter -anti matter reaction wouldn't vaporise quickly enough. Which is what Laowai would have subjected it to, But thats just me he thought.

Still, the man must have his reasons. And we all hang onto some strange mementos.....

After Juan had finished and seated himself back down near the shouldering remains of the fire, Ben spoke.

"You were wise to conceal this past of yours" he said quietly. "Were it to be known that a Corsair elder had run with an Outcast, no matter how benign your motives, you would have never kept your office, nor would you have been trusted by many of those that now wear your Brotherhood badge"....

"You would have suffered ostracism, though perhaps this is why you speak to me of these matters, as i have some knowledge of ostracism...."

Ben leaned forward, resting his arms on his knees. The sword sitting between them now casting a greater presence in the conversation. "And my code of honour..." he smiled, "Which you know, some amongst the council have called... archaic, binds me to aid my fellow Corsairs and you my friend, despite your dubious choice of friends in the past, are clearly in need of aid."

"Your hatred of those who carry the curse of Cardamine is evident enough, but you carry this hatred out of your own sense of personal loss, whereas I..." and he paused, choosing his words "Whereas i fight this same battle because i know it is my duty to do so, I am a Corsair, and as such, the path before me, those who are my brothers, and those who are my enemies, is a simple matter"

Laowai sighed, he did not like the history attached to this weapon, it was stained with betrayal, murder and deceit. Yet he knew he had no choice, to refuse this request, from a fellow Corsair, a seated Elder no less...could not be considered.

"I will take your weapon" he said, nodding is head and looking Juan in the eye. "Where i will take it no one, not even yourself, will ever find it"

Juan nodded, he seemed relieved somewhat.

Ben gripped the weapons case and activated its control , the slender black box silently sealed itself again.

"I will also keep your secret" Ben continued. "You have proven yourself many times, it is not my place to judge for your youthful foolishness. " He smiled "It is only those of us who actually live to grow old that are able to see a truth that young men cannot"

He slipped the case into his shoulder pack.

"But, if i am to bear this burden of yours, then i will ask something of you"

Juan nodded calmly and Ben went on. "You are an Elder of the Brotherhood and while you may not like this roll, it is your burden to bear, you have taken it. As i take this duty of honour on your behalf, so to will you take on one for me"

He stood, making ready to leave. "There must be no more division amongst our people, A Corsair is a corsair by birthright and blood, no matter to which house he may or may not belong. Our people must now, more than ever stand united, I will see no more bickering amongst our houses, no more politics or infighting. My code of honour may be antiquated to some, but it is the Corsair code, and what i ask of you, is that you honour it, and you use the weight of your position, to guide your Brotherhood to do the same"

"Your kin may not like sharing power with the Benitez, they may not like wild and reckless independent captains like myself commanding a cruiser full of landless, penniless Corsairs. But.. they are all Corsairs, they will be honored as such."

He turned and made his way quietly down the trail from which he had come, the afternoon sun slowly beginning to set behind him.

Things have just become quite interesting He thought to himself.

The Corsair stood, a rare cool breeze floated past him as he watched the Independent walk away with the obtuse package. The case wasn't heavy, but it's large shape made it seem as though the one carrying it held a large weight on his shoulders.

Juan's shoulders were bare going down the mountain, leaving his tree and feeling a sense of calmness about himself. Moreso that he finally told his story and unloaded much tension from himself.

Laowai's last comment confused him somewhat. What did he mean by solidarity? We were solid, the Benitez and OPG hassle was history. Realizing his two day retreat, he looked down at his datapad and brought up his inbox. 10 new messages in the Brotherhood message center.

"Wonderful." He thought.
Pages: 1 2