Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Lawful bases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
' Wrote:5k of fuel can last from 5.5 hours to 7.5 hours. Depending on the fuel type, the defenders can undo 5 hours of work in < 20 minutes. Shield and repair commodities make even a level 1 base nigh invulnerable to all but massive cap fleets.
So you need 5-7 hours of dedicated activity as a group, to destroy something that took >20-40 hours of dedicated group activity to construct, and still have the chance of failure if you're not keeping everyone on their toes?

I do not see a problem here at all...
' Wrote:So you need 5-7 hours of dedicated activity as a group, to destroy something that took >20-40 hours of dedicated group activity to construct, and still have the chance of failure if you're not keeping everyone on their toes?

I do not see a problem here at all...
Gotta agree with this actually. I get kinda irked whenever I see massive fleets just pewing away at a base. All that time... lost.

I like to shoot the transports GOING to the base personally, more face to face approach to the attack, and it's only a slight set back, not complete destruction of ones hard work.
' Wrote:Not in favor of Kikatsu's idea since you don't give people a chance to respond to such an attack.
The problem is that neither give a group of 5kers and a contruction platform a chance to respond if they place a base in the middle of a hostile system at 2am. Within a few hours they can repair it up to the basic 8mil hp, and who knows how much time passes until the system inhabitants notice it's existence. If well organized, owners can set up the shield gen module within a few days.
' Wrote:I think bases must get an IFF and be vulnerable to NPC so people will not build their bases out of the right zones. (Like Rog base in front of Manhattan will get pooped by patrols). This restriction sounds good.
^This.

If bases are not intended to be destroyed easily, keep them out of warzones and hostile territories by rules. If they are intended to be in there, make them easily destroyable, but easily constructable as well.

Or set them to be recognizable by NPCs. But I guess we have to wait for Cannon to code this if he is able and willing to. I hope he is and if so, I wish him good luck.
' Wrote:I think bases must get an IFF and be vulnerable to NPC so people will not build their bases out of the right zones. (Like Rog base in front of Manhattan will get pooped by patrols). This restriction sounds good.

' Wrote:^This.

Or set them to be recognizable by NPCs. But I guess we have to wait for Cannon to code this if he is able and willing to. I hope he is and if so, I wish him good luck.

Why not? An outcast station near Crete should become destroyed quickly/automatically, even when there are no Corsair players on the server.

If completely embedded into RP, bases should of course interact with the bases. We have lots of heavy patrols in NY, wouldn't they attack a illegal base? If such one was build, were it shouldn't? Of course they would attack.

By the way, that would also allow to deny docking rights for unlawful IDed ships by station admins perhaps, which i really need, if i ever want to build my station.
' Wrote:The problem is that neither give a group of 5kers and a contruction platform a chance to respond if they place a base in the middle of a hostile system at 2am. Within a few hours they can repair it up to the basic 8mil hp, and who knows how much time passes until the system inhabitants notice it's existence. If well organized, owners can set up the shield gen module within a few days.
The time for that is 18 minutes to full health (if you plan it properly and supply all repair commodities) and some 2 hours for the shield (if you have all the supplies with you - bringing a barge helps). However, setting up a base in a hostile system - Sairs tried that. Doesn't generally work out, it'll give the natives something to shoot and the base will eventually cave. A level 1 base without defenses is a sitting duck.
Ursus had a fair point a few pages back - if this weapon isn't somehow assigned to only do damage to bases, it will probably be exploited somehow (like base torpedo-suicide-ramming ships for an insta-kill or something like that - people are extemely creative when it comes to exploiting mechanics to get an edge).

Other than that, it's a great idea. Levels the playing field a little bit for those factions that don't and wont sport Battleships.
' Wrote:Ursus had a fair point a few pages back - if this weapon isn't somehow assigned to only do damage to bases, it will probably be exploited somehow (like base torpedo-suicide-ramming ships for an insta-kill or something like that - people are extemely creative when it comes to exploiting mechanics to get an edge).

Other than that, it's a great idea. Levels the playing field a little bit for those factions that don't and wont sport Battleships.

There's another problem with this.

Battleships will be way more vulnerable to defense platforms then snubcraft, i.e. it is way harder to create a stationary defense that will be as effective versus snubcraft as heavy platforms vs battleships, due to the way Freelancer works.
' Wrote:Those torpedos still wouldn't allow you to waste a base through it's shield Govedo. They'd just give bombers a mortar-like weapon that is extremely slow, and very easy to shoot down. It also requires them to replenish ammo after expending 70 shots. Which is enough to take out a base with a number of bombers roughly twice the base level once the shield is breached - but without that breach, you're not going anywhere...
Oh dont worry we have enough bombers.:yahoo: Just give me the torpedo.:cool:Such torpedo could be ad-don to allow smaller factions without battleships to effectively siege bases, make it to have BS like DPS even limited to 70 shots, it should be enough.
I also continue to think that bases are good as they are- they are something new so everyone is making base now. Time is the biggest base killer- I doubt that there would be more then 5-6 of the currnet bases that would survive 6 months.
Another problem with the siege torpedo is that it can also be used IN ADDITION TO battleship swarms. So lawfuls will be able to kill stuff that much faster.

And? If you have 10 players sieging a base with 10 battleships, or 5 bombers with these things in addition to 5 battleships, the damage output would be largely the same - with the stipulation that the bombers only have 70 shots before they need to rearm at the playerbase that generates this ammo.

Anyway, our balance guys are sceptical about this idea, so I wager it's a brainfart of mine that'll dissipate. No matter, plenty of good ideas left.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9