Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Arma II: DayZ mod, Zambies!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
' Wrote:I hear talk that the Zombie Survival aspect has been ruined by murderous players Sniper Camping and trying their hardest to turn it into Zombies Deathmatch.

How do you plead, Disco?

You just need to go North and leave the cities on the coast.
' Wrote:I hear talk that the Zombie Survival aspect has been ruined by murderous players Sniper Camping and trying their hardest to turn it into Zombies Deathmatch.

How do you plead, Disco?
The new patch fixed that and broke so many other aspects of the game.

Now, instead of CoD-kid Makarov Assassins we have psychic superzombies.
I still hunt humans.
Zombies don't drop loot and well, aren't that fun to hunt.
Did another reset. In a few hours I made it from Elektro, all the way to the small hill north of Stary Sobor where there's the two deerstands. Current loadout: Ghillie suit, ALICE backpack, AKM with 2 mags, M1911 with 5 mags, binocs, all the survival gear I could possibly need, food, water, cans of soft drink, etc.

Doing pretty well.
Got it as well now. Actually, most of the Arma chat does. Join in on the fun.
Gonna get it when Arma is more than 20% off, or at the end of the sales.
Awesome fun, myself and a few friends are starting up a roleplay group devoted to not randomly deathmatching everyone you see (which I understand is a part of the game and I would never ask it to be removed, before you flip out), so hit me up on Skype if you're interested (details are in my profile, I think... If not, just PM me)
I was playing ArmA 2 for years before this DayZ mod showed up.

My opinion of the mod: It blows, completely.

ArmA 2 has never been a very stable platform for multiplayer - modders have done a lot with it (just like they have here with freelancer), but it still has a lot of core issues that simply cant be fixed.

I love zombie games as much as the next guy, but after 20 minutes playing DayZ I gave up on it. First off you start with no weapon, and there's no melee combat included in the ArmA engine - meaning you cant even fight back with your fists if a zombie attacks you. Until you find a gun, you're completely helpless, and the 'stealth' system they tried to include in DayZ is flaky at best. Second are the issues with zombies 'wallhacking'. Because Arma was never really designed for fast paced, up close fighting (it's a military simulator, most combat takes place at ranges greater than 100 meters, and it's tactical rather than twitch based). The zombies are able to run clear through walls and buildings like they arent even there, while you (the player) are inhibited by those obstacles. Barring a door off and locking yourself in a concrete building for the night sounds pretty good in theory, but in the game the zombies will just run right through those walls and chew your face off.

Lastly, there's a huge issue with griefers and spawncampers on most of the popular DayZ servers. Players will work their way up to a sniper rifle or something similar just so they can perch up on a coastal mountain and take shots at brand new players logging in who have no way to defend themselves.

All in all, on a rating of 1 to 10, I give DayZ a 2, and only that high because of the concept the mod tries to build itself on. They should've chosen a better platform.

That said, you can find me on the 7cav domination and insurgency servers for ArmA 2 on a daily basis.
Hmmm, Tena. What about crowbars and firemen axes scattered around in low-danger areas? They are common and easy to find and the zombies cannot really do harm to you if you keep moving.

They can catch up, sure, but by the time they execute the hit animation, you are far away, because they stop.

Anyway, you are right on the other points, but when it comes to playing the game with a group of friends, I find it standing up quite well. If only they would have chosen a better platform for it, because quite frankly, the modded game has some serious fps issues, when connecting to a higher ping server.
Yeah it feels a bit like early Alpha Minecraft SMP.
If you look at it at face value, it's not so great.
But if you stick with it and get over the bugs (not that hard really if you have any sort of maturity) then it really is an amazing game to play.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5