Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To The Bretonian Crown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: rconnorsalt.png]

Good evening.
My name is Richard Connors, the duly elected President of the Colonial Republic. As of a few weeks ago, our government has had a massive change. The old regime, with which I am sure you have had many dealings, has been swept away. It had existed as a military society shaping our small population to war. In return, we have gone back to our former days as a Democratic Republic.

It is my intention to make very clear that our previous methods of diplomacy may have burned bridges - my hope is that those mistakes are not beyond repair. No new leader wishes to begin by pointing fingers at previous administrations - These are mistakes we claim ownership of. We simply now realize that those actions were wrong, and we seek to make amends for them.

I intend this frequency, and the transmissions to follow, to be a discussion as to how the Colonial Republic can earn its way back into the friendship of the Crown. We both have the same enemy. Gallia.
The Republic see's Gallia as a threat to the human rights of everyone in Sirius. At present, we continue our war against their forces in what way we can. Working with Bretonia instead of apart makes both of us that much stronger.

It is my hope, that the Republics willingness to own up to its failures, and seek a prosperous friendship in thwarting our mutual enemy. We wish nothing more then a good relationship between the Republic and the House of Bretonia. I am sure you have many questions about what this means for our conduct - I will answer any and all you have.

Along with this transmission, I've sent a diplomatic envoy hand carrying a digital copy of this transmission, as well as a case of fruit brandy, aged 7 years in oak casks - the fruit itself comes from the islands of Planet Borneo - I hope you find it enjoyable.

Richard Connors
President
- of the -
Colonial Republic
To: Richard Connors, President of the Colonial Republic..
From: Sir Andrew Maloney, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Bretonia.
RE: Renewed negotiations.
[Image: BretoniaFlagPS2.png]
Good day to you, Mr Connors. The relationship between the Colonial Republic and the Kingdom of Bretonia has previously been fraught with spilled blood and armed conflict - this ranges back to the days of Colonial attacks on our borders and the disruption of our economy. Such aggressions were hard to forgive, but truces were made and lengths taken to ensure armed conflict was never to mar our two houses again. Sadly, betrayal is even harder to forgive than belligerency, and your old regime's schemes led them directly into conflict once more.

It is my own personal hope that with the fall of said regime, a line may be drawn under that chapter of our history. A line that is never to be crossed, or repeated. My government and my aides agree that your Republic presents us with an interesting situation. Your current location in the Coronado system places you in an ideal position to either greatly assist ourselves and our central allies of Liberty, or pose an unacceptable risk to our national security. With this transition to cooler heads, I trust your nation falls into the former category? The latter would not be tolerated.

Gallia is indeed the largest threat to have ever faced both Bretonia and all of Sirius' free peoples. A thin red line of courage and determination stands in direct opposition to the dark tide that looms ahead. Should that line falter, this scourge and plague will expand, pillage and enslave through military imperialism and insidious influences. We believe that the Republic's military pedigree can be utilised to mend the breach between our two nations and oppose this mutual threat.

Every man must play their part, but not necessarily on the front lines. Our own men are currently capable of holding the GRN fleets in place, but this has left a security vacuum in areas of our home front. Two systems which have suffered from this are Cortez and Magellan - it is of the imperitive importance that these systems remain open and unrestricted during the coming days. Military arms and commercial might will both be decisive elements of the coming struggle; should either factor be obstructed on its way to or from Liberty, Sirius as a whole could face dire consequences.

Should you be willing to deploy your men into the Border Worlds as a good will gesture, you will find Bretonia considerably more amenable to your new, fledgling nation. I, of course, await your opinion on these matters with interest. We have a number of terms that would require intense discussion.
Yours in service to the Queen, Realm and all of its peoples.

Sir Andrew Maloney
Prime Minister
Kingdom of Bretonia

Good Afternoon, Sir Maloney
I thank you for your words, and I am glad that my sincerity in wishing to begin a new chapter in our relations with the House of Bretonia has been well received.

At the moment, the biggest difficulty has been our logistics. Moving trade ships through the Houses of our neighbors. In order to support our population, it is absolutely vital that we begin trade. Our chief export at the moment, is Deuterium Fuel, a valuable resource for a war effort. I would like to enter into negotiations soon for trade contracts between our houses, to benefit both of our nations.

And now, to our military deployment. At current, our forces are mobilized in the upper Tau's, watching for Gallic ships as they move sector-south into Orkney, and Edinburgh. We have been raiding their forces as much as we can. I won’t say your ability to hold them has been because of our efforts - but I do have a tremendous amount of pride for what we have accomplished despite such hardship.

Most importantly, I understand the logistics of war. At current, Magellan and Cortez represent supply lines between your House and the House of Liberty. Protecting those supply lines is vital, for without it, your ability to maintain your military becomes non-existent. I understand this because the Colonial Republic faces the same issue - without the ability to move trade, it is a very real possibility that our Republic will not be able to sustain itself - to say nothing of maintaining a battle-ready military.

However, the ability to project force as far south as Magellan is a bit beyond our own logistical capability. I have second line units I can place in Cortez, to make safe the supply lines from California to Manchester. Splitting these units to cover two systems would make them combat ineffective. As an alternative, considering the Colonial Republics long relationship with the IMG, I will open dialogue with their Guild Masters, about covering the Magellan system - they have security forces well supplied at Freeport 4. I can not make guarantees on the actions of the IMG, but I can, at least, impress upon them the importance of this task.

To make up for this lack, I can split Colonial forces between Tau watch elements and placing units on the front lines. With your agreement, I can place my best units in Leeds, right on the border with Edinburgh. What we would ask is a base with which to sortie from - the Battleship Derby. This provides us the ability to launch at a moments notice and fight alongside your forces against threats. This proposal to use your own battleships is an alternative to suggesting using ours. We would not assume to put large capital warships into your space, so soon in our renewed relationship.

In return for our patrols in Cortez, and aiding your forces side-by-side, the Colonial Republic asks for the ability to move trade ships through the House of Bretonia, and of course, access for our military ships, to deploy along the front lines.

I hope that this proposal meets with your approval. Also, do tell me if you found the brandy enjoyable.

Thank you for your time.

Richard Connors
President
- of the -
Colonial Republic
RE: Renewed negotiations.
CC: The Duke of Norfolk; Fleet Admiral Michelle Garibaldi.
Our own intelligence agents had reported your units working in the Taus, yes. In the early years of the first Tau War, we had a wing stationed in that area for a similar purpose - facing a different foe, of course. Regrettably, I believe your nation's interactions with said wing occurred decidely after they turned rogue. So far as I know, they still do an admirable job, but their methods and conduct leaves much to be desired. In any case, we understand how effective such asymmetrical warfare can be, and strongly recommend you carry on the good fight.

As to logistics - trade rights and the like. So far as I am led to understand, the Colonial Republic is currently suffering from a recession; the retooling of your economy from a military to a civic basis has taken its toll. Now, in order to alleviate some of this strain, the Bretonian government may be willing to issue the Republic with a small bailout package consisting of a moderately sized credit stimulus, the opening of several trade routes and a contract with our nationalised assets - should you require them. This would allow you to support your populous during this difficult time.

Of course, there is no such thing as a free meal in politics. In return we would expect a number of things - firstly, that the new Republic pledges to respect our laws to the letter. Secondly, we wish to acquire a sovereign Bretonian colony on Planet Pecos. The colony would be administered by the Crown, or a proxy organisation acting upon the Crown's behalf - Bretonian law would apply within its boundaries. Thirdly and finally, your men would act as security forces within the Cortez system (as was previously mentioned).

A long term consideration for the wellfare of your people may well include the prospect of terraforming. Planetform has historically done much business with the Bretonian government and has consistently proven itself to be a stalwart and loyal company. Should you ever wish to procure their services, you would probably find them somewhat more favourable to your cause and terms with the Bretonian government - and consequently our colony - on board.

As to security matters... I would suggest you refrain from contacting the IMG's security wings in relation to Magellan. We will find alternate arrangements. While none doubts the IMG's competency in the realm of corporate security, there are doubts as to their reliability when encountering, say... Gallic rear-lines privateers. Many believe they would place their own vested interests above the duty they would have been charged with. I have added The Duke of Norfolk and Fleet Admiral Michelle Garibaldi to this communication to discuss with you the possibility of Colonial troops being stationed aboard our battleships. No doubt they will be in contact soon.

In the mean time, I am giving your trade ships provisional access to our borders. The permanency of said arrangement can be secured through the terms laid out above.

Sir Andrew Maloney
Prime Minister
Kingdom of Bretonia
[Image: rconnorsalt2.png]

Good Evening.

It is my pride to share with you just a small part of our success in the task you have given us. Elements of the Colonial Military were deployed into the Cortez region, to protect the shipping from any pirate menace. Keep in mind, these are secondary line forces. Our combat hardened fleet elements have not been moved from the Tau region.

[Image: thumb1.jpg][Image: thumb2.jpg]

[Image: thumb3.jpg][Image: thumb4.jpg]

[Image: thumb5.jpg][Image: thumb6.jpg]

I would have to say, that in a short matter of days, our presence has had an impact on the region.

Needless to say, we are eager to discuss the relocation of some of our units to Bretonian space. We have had regular clashes with Gallic forces in the Tau Region, however, there have been certain setbacks. Our units have also begun long range interdiction raids into gallic space itself, with results. In time, we hope to impact the gallic war machines ability to supply itself.

The plans for Bretonia and Pecos are still being discussed at length within the parliament.
As a counter offer, MP Petras, CEO of the Kunde Colonial Mining Corporation would like to propose this.

Using Bretonian funds, the Bretonian Crown may incorporate a mining colony on Planet Pecos for the purpose of extracting Deuterium. This colony and mining camp would be under Colonial jurisdiction, but worked by Bretonian interests. All Deuterium extracted will be sent to Bretonia using Colonial Shipping, at no cost for Deuterium sale - only cost for the shipping.

In this manner, Bretonia cuts costs by mining it with your own labor, and pays for a reduced cost shipping through our haulers. The Deuterium itself will not be taxed or tariff'd by the Colonial Republic either in the extraction or in the shipping. In this manner, both nations profit. As a gesture of goodwill, we encourage you to use your own surveying crew, so as to capitalize on the best dig site.

This is still open to negotiation. If this proposal does not meet with your approval, we will continue to negotiate it.

Thank you for your time.

Richard Connors
President
- of the -
Colonial Republic
RE: Colonies and congratulations.
Your men's actions in Cortez are much appreciated, and already exceeding expectations. The Bretonian government has taken this as a positive show of good faith, to initiate a prosperous relationship of mutual gain. Long-term, we would consider employing the Republic as a retainer of the Crown - you would receive a budget for the protection of Cortez, allowing you limited rights to enforce Bretonian law within the shared protectorate. We trust this would be ample compensation for your endeavours within the region. Specifics could of course be discussed at a later date and another time.

Now, on to the meat of the issue - a Bretonian colony on Pecos. The right honourable Petras' suggestions do indeed have merit. That said, we would like to propose a counter-offer to better suit our needs and requirements. We hope you will find it agreeable to your own interests. When establishing colonies within the borderworlds, it is standard protocol to ensure our settlers are protected by Bretonian law. To this extent, we would have to insist on the colony being answerable to Bretonian law and Bretonian justice.

Despite this, we are happy to recognise Colonial sovereignty over the land itself - we would be tenants, free to enforce our own laws within the boundaries of the lease. In this case, the security on the lease and the terms of the rental would be trade and transit rights to Bretonian space, a governmental bailout package for the Colonial government and Colonial Shipping contract access to the goods required to support your populous. For a working example of a previous rental agreement, I would recommend you visit the Port Jackson colony of Gran Canaria.

We would be content to utilise your own logistics wing, in that of Colonial Shipping, to move any product we may excavate. Your terms should allow us to practically assist with the revitalisation of your economy through natural credit injections. This will ensure your nation remains financially viable, without depending on our own bailout initiatives. Once you have established a suitable commercial base for the Republic to sustain itself upon, I would suggest diversifying the planet's contracts by contacting a Bretonian haulage corporation. My own personal suggestions would be that of either Bowex or Gateway. Both are capable enough, and the foreign investment will generate further capital for your people.

Much alike yourselves, Bretonia has historically prided itself on taming the ragged frontier. Despite being initially stranded and cut-off from the other Houses by the merciless Barrier Nebula, we persevered and brought civilisation to our sector of space. I dare say we can aid you with your own struggles on Pecos, and help bring essential infrastructure to bear. With a Bretonian colony situated on the surface, you will find entire new worlds of opportunity opening for your peoples.

Sir Andrew Maloney
Prime Minister
Kingdom of Bretonia

Good Afternoon, Sir Maloney

With the negotiation of Mining and Export rights on Pecos, the Republic and the Independent Miners Guild have made compromises over the control of the world. It was never my intention to promise what we could not supply, but in light of the new negotiations, the possibility of a Bretonian refugee colony on Pecos is no longer feasible.

However, before those words can sink in, let me assure you, this is not a hindrance to the plans we are setting forward, together. Pecos, as the Republic has found, is less then ideal as a world of human habitation. While the original plan was based around mining deuterium, the Republic is now able to do that ourselves, and ship that mined deuterium to Bretonia. I do not know the rates at which Bretonia is buying its fuel from outside sources, but I can assure you, we can export Deuterium to you at a much cheaper rate. You need it for the same reason we do - to hold Gallia at bay, and in time, destroy them.

Please have the corporation which will handling the purchase of this Deuterium, contact the Republic to begin the export contract.

As an alternative to Pecos, the Republic offers beach side real-estate on the planet Yuma, to settle your refugee's. The Reublic has made great strides in taming the world, and are now working full-time with Planetform, to develop methods to tame the voracious flora.

The Republic would propose these terms for this refugee colony:
  1. The Colony itself be under Colonial Jurisdiction, and limited Colonial Law - I say "Limited" because it is a national law that military service is mandatory - obviously that will not apply to these refugee's. These refugee's will not become Colonial Citizens under this stipulation, but we do not wish them held to seperate standards as Colonial Citizens they will be along side.
  2. Refugee's, under special visa's, will be allowed work with Colonial agencies, either for wage, or supply. These Agencies will be in the process of either exploiting the planets natural resources, or building habitation and infrastructure. We want these refugee's to be able to work for the necessities they will need, even if it is as simple as building a farmstead. We see this colony as atemporary measure, and thus, any wage yielded will be for their use while on Yuma.
  3. Refugee's have the ability, if they have made a livlihood on Yuma, and, once the war is over, find they do not wish to leave, have the ability to apply for Colonial Citizenship. Permanent settlers are allowed to build more permanent habitation, while those refugee's intending to return to their lives as Bretonian Citizens be restricted to more temporary habitation. We have no way of knowing when this war will end, and in the years time, these Refugee's may have found they do not wish to leave. If that be the case, we would wish them to become Colonial Citizens, otherwise, we insist that Bretonian Citizens return to their homelands, to avoid problems that could arise from doing otherwise.
Please let me know if this proposal is satisfactory. Believe me, when I say, Yuma is a beautiful world, and much better suited to settle refugee's, then the Planet Pecos.

There is another matter that needs to be discussed.
We understand the Mandalorian Mercenary company is a Bretonian firm. While we have had some issues with them in the past, these are easily explained by the sometimes less-then-pleasant diplomacy the House of Bretonia, and the former government of the Colonial Republic, have had. However, with our good relations, I would have expected to not have continuing reports of my military forces being fired on by them.

Most recently, while fulfilling anti-piracy duties within Cortez, my forces were engaging a band of anti-Liberty pirates, known as "The Indians" - in the midst of the battle, a Mandalorian Mercenary appeared, and began firing on our military units. His attacks facilitated the destruction of three Colonial ships, and allowed the Indians to escape. I'm uploading proof to you now.

Without sounding brusque, we would like an explanation for why Bretonian Merc's are killing my pilots alongside known criminals.

Thank you for your time.

Richard Connors
President
- of the -
Colonial Republic