Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Does Disco still have enough player base to keep running all factions ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
It is funny. I see people complaining about player bases killing role play by forcing a grind.....when in their roles that is what traders do; that is their daily grind. Hauling crud from A to B to C and such. Someone also mentioned fun, as if some of the new stuff isn't fun. I personally am having a blast. I love the player base feature, it makes my trading more fun as I directly affect the environment I play in.

I don't think any of the new features of have killed role play. Merely modified it and some of you can't handle change. It breaks your idea of what role play is. Guess what? your idea of role play isn't the end all be all of what role play is. Neither is mine. Deal.

I, myself, can't wait for all the QQ about OSI having its own ID (if we ever get it!). Yes, it will be a closed ID and that is exactly what will spur peeps to whine about it. Ignoring the fact that OSI has and will always be a very open faction. You just won't be getting imediate access to our ID unless you prove you're there to develop your character and help in developing the faction. Can't wait for it!

Anyways, no I don't think we have enough people to keep every faction running. I personally think there are to many darn NPC factions.
' Wrote:It is funny. I see people complaining about player bases killing role play by forcing a grind.....when in their roles that is what traders do; that is their daily grind. Hauling crud from A to B to C and such. Someone also mentioned fun, as if some of the new stuff isn't fun. I personally am having a blast. I love the player base feature, it makes my trading more fun as I directly affect the environment I play in.

I don't think any of the new features of have killed role play. Merely modified it and some of you can't handle change. It breaks your idea of what role play is. Guess what? your idea of role play isn't the end all be all of what role play is. Neither is mine. Deal.

I, myself, can't wait for all the QQ about OSI having its own ID (if we ever get it!). Yes, it will be a closed ID and that is exactly what will spur peeps to whine about it. Ignoring the fact that OSI has and will always be a very open faction. You just won't be getting imediate access to our ID unless you prove you're there to develop your character and help in developing the faction. Can't wait for it!

Anyways, no I don't think we have enough people to keep every faction running. I personally think there are to many darn NPC factions.

agreed. i trade now, not to build a bank balance or to buy a shiny toy, but to build up the base. purpose hath been restored.

i don't think there are too many npc factions however, i think that there are too many player factions, and we should hold a moratorium on new factions until all the npc factions have official representation
' Wrote:The Dev Team is in no way biased, except against you...:rtfm:

Better become a proper Dev so I can spread bias, favouritism, and injustice faster. Wait, hold on, I forgot conspiracy, fear, and paranoia. Those too.

Lord forbid the Devs might offer a free service on this free server which is privately funded and operated.

Edit: , actually siding with Snak3 on this post. Railroading players into factions is a bad idea. Factions work really well when players want to be there. Official Faction time minima should be sources of encouragement, not a punishment.

Edit 2: Actually, it would only work if you all but removed OF time limits. You could force everyone into an Official NPC-based faction but not require them to fly. This would have to be random/evenly distributed, however.

On the subject of trading and bases; bases don't kill RP at all, as Daedric said. However, they do crush imagination through the repetitive motions. (Bases only void RP when you start using alts as meta-informed suppliers... but sadly it's sometimes the only way.)
DELETE
the factions are only unattractive if you're not creative. do we need 11 thousand zoner factions and no planetform faction?
DELETE
' Wrote:What waratah said is not totally wrong, there is certainly not easy to play one faction and knowing a fellow faction member in another factin wont screw you over.
But being in only one faction is highly unhealthy. Taking myself as an example; i used to be as pro outcast as you could get. I couldnt even fathom that ther was any faction able to fight the ourcasrs on even or winning terms. However during my peak of stupidity, grimly said to me after a gamma raid "if your so damn sure its all the sair playes fault, then sign up for thesail mofo and see how it is for us" so i joined sails, and later on also the good old =CR=. Thanks to that i realized that you really cant just be in one official faction, it simply ruins your ability to accept the strenghts of others and breeds this kinda elitist attitude, none of which is healthy for our already rotten playerbase.

Even now, 3 years later, i know a few that still stubbornly believe outcasts are the unchallenged superfaction in all of sirius. And those players are so stagnated in their rp that all they do is shoot stuff and be a jerk he beat you.

The intention behind a "one official faction only" is not bad, but the consequences of putting such s rule into effect would litterally kill what little friendship and equality that is left on this server.

This would also mean that our already painfully biased devteam would be further biased, as if it wasnt bad enough as is.

So instead of knowing your faction really well and getting to know another faction through Roleplay and interactions with consequences, you join the other faction with another one of your characters. Great. Sounds like a recipe for Metagaming to me.
Quote:We? You mean, we, players who play the game to have fun, instead of fulfilling one's desires?

In that case, yes, we need 11.000 Zoner factions if that is what creates entertainment to those players in those factions.

EDIT: I would rather have unproportional number of factions but nice players, as opposed one of each, but grumpy, cuz they are not allowed to have fun the way they want it.

ask not what discovery server can do for you, ask what you can do for discovery server.

There's nothing wrong with multi-clanning. a player could be in 15 different zoner factions if he wanted to; however, i suspect that it would get completely stale for both the player and for everyone else on the server if it was zonerzonerzoner all day long. it would take someone to point out that perhaps we shouldnt have 15000 zoner factions, and perhaps we out to kick start the business in kusari/gallia/etc.

im just pointing out the fact that:

1. multiclanning means that you can be in a fun faction
2. you can also be in a purely RP faction
3. andyou can be in a powertrading faction too.

if you think that you are being metagamed, and your friends are ganking your other chars,then... /renameme <generic hero>
To answer the OP's original question: No. It does not. That is why some factions have lost their officialdom recently.
' Wrote:To answer the OP's original question: No. It does not. That is why some factions have lost their officialdom recently.
Alternatively, we have the players, but the prospect of joining an official faction is so unattractive that a faction loses active players quicker than it can replace them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17