Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Does Disco still have enough player base to keep running all factions ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
' Wrote:Oh man I couldn't disagree more.
This would cause so much chaos!
Too many captains on a ship and it will sink.
That's common knowledge.

Who knows? Plural democracies have a fairly good track record. Imagine a council governing structure: Each group gets votes based on activity and member count (of course a certain level of server activity would be required to get a vote on the council), and everybody has to go with the decisions made. It would eliminate faction power-play and perhaps create interesting dynamics, whereas the "old" and solid factions would have a long lasting influence on the course of events, and thus their "reward" for dedication. But these once omnipotent factions might see themselves overruled from time to time in important matters.

As I see it, some of the problems stem from a lack of legitimacy - a substantial amount of players don't feel the official factions represent them, even though they share ID. On the other hand if everyone could just go and do what they wanted we would have chaos, I agree, but I don't think it is impossible to find a middle ground.

IMO the faction system as it is, and the way some factions and faction players take action, in many cases serve more as a barrier than as a motivator for recruiting new members.
Quote:IMO the faction system as it is, and the way some factions and faction players take action, in many cases serve more as a barrier than as a motivator for recruiting new members.

Please explain a bit more. I want to know more about this.
Factions rise and fall, it is the way of things.

Player base is more than able to support them all.

Factions die because of loss of interest, not because there just isn't enough players to play them.
If you want to make the place friendlier to new people, please do.
That's a good thing even if we are getting thousands of new people every day.

If we don't have a large enough player base to run all the factions, oh well. We can't do much about it.
' Wrote:Ryoken three years before it was 198 at this point and it would take sometime hours to get a spot in.

I do think its time the admins do something about the faction to player ratio. Anybody have any idea how to repair this issue?

Wait for summer. Mousespam to get in will be back.
' Wrote:Who knows? Plural democracies have a fairly good track record. Imagine a council governing structure: Each group gets votes based on activity and member count (of course a certain level of server activity would be required to get a vote on the council), and everybody has to go with the decisions made. It would eliminate faction power-play and perhaps create interesting dynamics, whereas the "old" and solid factions would have a long lasting influence on the course of events, and thus their "reward" for dedication. But these once omnipotent factions might see themselves overruled from time to time in important matters.

As I see it, some of the problems stem from a lack of legitimacy - a substantial amount of players don't feel the official factions represent them, even though they share ID. On the other hand if everyone could just go and do what they wanted we would have chaos, I agree, but I don't think it is impossible to find a middle ground.

IMO the faction system as it is, and the way some factions and faction players take action, in many cases serve more as a barrier than as a motivator for recruiting new members.

Now here you raise some good points and food for thought.

''As I see it, some of the problems stem from a lack of legitimacy - a substantial amount of players don't feel the official factions represent them, even though they share ID. On the other hand if everyone could just go and do what they wanted we would have chaos, I agree, but I don't think it is impossible to find a middle ground.''

This is a fact.
But what I would like to see, if a indie disagrees with an official faction , he joins it and influences it from the inside to create that middle ground.
I joined TBH once because I was a unhappy sair indie who disagreed with them.
A couple of years later I am the leader, because I invested a lot in it both on ingame time and forum RP.
Situations like this make our community grow.
A faction is nothing without it's members, members make or break the faction.
' Wrote:Ryoken three years before it was 198 at this point and it would take sometime hours to get a spot in.

I do think its time the admins do something about the faction to player ratio. Anybody have any idea how to repair this issue?

ROFL. Well 3 years ago we did not have a 200 player's limit allowed on Disco, and according to your Start date you only been here 2 years. Hmmm....But anyhow. The server count go's up and down depending on season. During christmas holidays was at 225 most times. Come 2-3 weeks when all the annoying little PvP punks with no brains in their heads get out of school the count will again go up.
As for not enough players to fill "faction" ranks LOLOLOLOLOL i am sorry but right now Indies out number faction players 5 to 1. There is more then enough players, but those players choose not to be Official faction players. Sorry if that hurts your feelings. But some of us choose to play the way we like, and have for 5+ years, and not change because some pimpled face punk decides his group should go another path that is not canon.
' Wrote:Very interesting point.
It seems that a majority of the new generation of disco players care more about PvP then about RP.
We are now noticing the results of that.

I mostly agree with the above statement.

As for the original post, I don't believe that every faction needs over a hundred players to be successful, but I DO agree that more and more of the newer 'generation' of players, care more about blowing things up, than developing deep character stories and player interactions.

That, is something that needs to be fixed, or at least countered by older members.
about ryokens point , I say again that in my opinion everybody should have the possibility to play how they like, but within reasonable boundaries that count for me as an official faction too.
I never told someone in TBH that he/she can't fly a cap and probably never will.
The only thing we care about is that people stick to lore/canon just like you describe.
I am not claiming that I am an awesome leader, far from that.
If there are issues with my leadership please inform me on how to improve.
I welcome any feedback , positive or negative.

' Wrote:As for the original post, I don't believe that every faction needs over a hundred players to be successful, but I DO agree that more and more of the newer 'generation' of players, care more about blowing things up, than developing deep character stories and player interactions.

That, is something that needs to be fixed, or at least countered by older members.
I feel that this is one of the responsibilities of the official factions.
I got deeper understanding of the game because of the teaching/authoritarian role that official factions represented towards my (nooby) first characters, and when I look back now I am very happy for that.
What can be said about some official factions is that they do not spend enough time ingame to guide and help their indies , something that I also consider a responsibility.
No wonder that indies gang up and try to gain recognition by systematically disagreeing with their official representatives, what have the officials ever done for them (in their eyes) I can totally understand this.
How do we fix this loss/lack of trust in us?
It definitely has.

Only one thing - factions must have player limit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17