Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What would you change?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DELETE
' Wrote:I would agree Jack in increasing the minimum payment to 3-5 million instead of 1 (at least for blanket bounties)

I would like to see much payment on the person who is carrying,for example,more than Cap.Armor 6.
For example if a Battleship kill is 5 million,it should be 8 million if the battleship is carrying Cap.Armor 6 or higher,same should happen to all ships,which can carry Cap.Armor 6 or higher.

About blanket bounties,i would let all the groups (officials/unofficial) to make blanket bounties.

Also,i'd let the pirates to collect the bounties of criminal organisations.I mean pirates in bretonia should hunt the BAF for Mollys. Or pirates in Liberty should hunt the Navys for Lib.Rogues.
Ha. No. Pirates are meant to pirate, not to go around hunting the navy. They're not mercs or soldiers, they're pirates. Allowing them to claim unlawful bounties would produce"pirate ID raids" on the lawfuls, when, though it's funny, doesn't make much sense inRP.

So no, pirates mustn't be able to claim bounties.
' Wrote:Ha. No. Pirates are meant to pirate, not to go around hunting the navy. They're not mercs or soldiers, they're pirates. Allowing them to claim unlawful bounties would produce"pirate ID raids" on the lawfuls, when, though it's funny, doesn't make much sense inRP.

So no, pirates mustn't be able to claim bounties.

I do believe I remember a time when pirates could take bounties, and it was never as bad as what you described. Way to be dramatic, mate.

1. Merc getting bribed to go away - I don't like that (i'm biased). According to the rules, the merc can't even mention or point the fact he can be bribed because that would equal to piracy. As a matter of fact, that happened to the Reavers a long time ago to two experienced players where they suggested to be payed to go away. Rob and Dusty, if i recall it correctly(before my time).
Ever since i've learned that, i keep the thought of always honoring the contract. No matter the money being offered. Of course, there's nothing stopping the roleplay between both happening. My chars just doesn't take money from the targets, and if she does, the target will die even so.

2. Blanket bounties - Official, unnoficial? Keep it as it is. Before the blanket bounty rule, you had the perfect example of how it was with the Liberty Merc Wars, where LNS couldn't even get their noses out of dry dock.
For months (2 or 3) Liberty was a battlefield of mercenaries shooting lawfuls and other mercenaries as well.
A mess to put it plainly.

3. Sirius Blanket Bounties - For instance, IMG Zones works well in theory, buts that's mainly only for defense. And even at that, your individual targets are sirius-wide, Jack. Vispilio for instance xD
An offensive like faction (let's say GRN) is interested in hitting Bretonian assets wherever they are. Cripple their military (eg: New London where GRN can't go due to ZOI restrictions).
Basically ZOI restrictions on certain factions blanket bounty ain't roleplay material.
"I'm sorry but you cannot bounty BAF everywhere, even although you are at war with them."
Lulz.

4. Mercnet - It works and it's metagaming proof. You have problems with it, file a report and since the admins have access to it, they can check if there is any foul play involved.
People did so, and they found 0 problems. It's controlled and it helps the admins by removing a ton of work out of their hands when it comes in regard of anonymous bounties.

Jack, darling, your problem is with the IMG bounty, isn't it? And how it's Sirius Wide. You don't know where and when people may hit IMG vessels. Just like the real deal, hm? Plus, putting zoi restrictions would be another identification pointer regarding the contract issuer in an anonymous bounty.

And no Jack, the admins received your report even regarding those rumors, and they all checked out.
I still find amusing you're still going over that, even after the admins combed Mercnet for 'individual Mercnet blanket bounties'.

And the points you're making about Rules 6.9,, 6.10 etc when regarding Mercnet, is once more to gain metagaming knowledge of who places what on who.
How you gonna make an anonymous bounty system if you're giving pointers on who placed the bounty?
And the reputation is always set on red against said targets.

For instance, IMG bounty, you need to have red reputation to claim for it.
Mandos can do it, RR can do it, Reavers can't do it.

The few bounties that have 0 hostility requirements are the ones versus Freelancer IFF'd and Wilde characters.

Mercnet is admin controlled in every step of the way.

Now, kindly get those rumors and throw them into the trash bin, love. You want to metagame knowledge of an anonymous bounty, especially the one that is over IMG. Everything was already explained, once, twice and now you're doing it all over again.

Mercnet works. One of the few things left in Disco that does.

Your problem with it is that due to it's anti-metagaming characteristics, you don't know who issued the bounty, thus you're incapable of using whatever inRP or ooRP tools you have at your disposal to bring it down. Yes, i also picked up some few interesting rumors along the way. On how the Renegades stopped hitting the IMG.

And on mercenary factions posting a bounty... It's the same as IMG opening up one and letting IMG ID'd chars able to collect.

If said bounty is open to other factions and independents, it's fair game.

For instance, the whole Silver-Jose Benitez thing. Silvs was pissed about it. What stop her of unleashing the hounds of war with a couple of bills on hitting corsair assets? She's rich, her company is, Corsairs have no lack of enemies. It would be in roleplay to issue said bounty. (Which reminds me to post another batch of dead 'sairs in that thread.)

Another example.

Reavers are hired to hit faction A for 10 mills a pop.
However, faction A) has more numbers, have a great deal of capitals, so a small force as the Reavers can't do much dent.
Why not subcontract some help?
Issue a bounty on faction A for 3 mills a pop, and let the independents and other mercenary factions work on it too.

We went through this already. All you need is common sense to understand the rules of this board.

Something you clearly can't show since the IMG bounty came up.

And yes, that under the table deal with Prince DeFrance? I bet that comm thread (that is unhackable and shouldn't be meta'd) sent people flying.

Because i have already being questioned on what and who are the targets by IMG HC.
And i bet Duncan too.

All of that ooRP.

Poor form, kids.

---------------------------------

Apart from that, what is needed are tools to decrease the workload of claiming and paying.

The rules are fine and do not need anymore fine tuning.

I am already working on making a program that will allow people to claim with a couple of clicks and 10 mins of their time.

It includes:
- Image format processing (BMP to JPG, etc)
- Image upload to the web (I'm using Picasa for test purposes atm, and it's free without limit)
- Auto-generation of reports (BBCode)
- One click post (Opens up a browser tab and writes the report into the bboard thread, waiting for the post click)

The paying however will require standard procedures to automatize pays. Already working on several approaches:

- Reading a feed from the bbthread, check when last pays were made, download all images, open up an image viewer with a small copy of the claimer post on the side.

~K.
' Wrote:Merc don't need to get more than the bounty is worth. They want money easily and fast. Unless merc.bunter cares to show off his efficiency, there can always be hints of possible bribe. From both sides.

And you obviously never met Indigo Reaver.

:smile2:
' Wrote:3. Sirius Blanket Bounties - For instance, IMG Zones works well in theory, buts that's mainly only for defense. And even at that, your individual targets are sirius-wide, Jack. Vispilio for instance xD
An offensive like faction (let's say GRN) is interested in hitting Bretonian assets wherever they are. Cripple their military (eg: New London where GRN can't go due to ZOI restrictions).
Basically ZOI restrictions on certain factions blanket bounty ain't roleplay material.
"I'm sorry but you cannot bounty BAF everywhere, even although you are at war with them."
Lulz.

That's why I wrote "ZoI + some more regions". Used on your example:

Ofc Gallia should be able to bounty Bretonian ships.
But: in Bretonia and Taus, perhaps also the western parts of Kusari in my opinion.
But: Not in.... Liberty or Rheinland, or Omicrons, or Omegas.

Because that is what "sirius-wide" does.
A merc shoots a BAF in Omega 3, and harvests GRN money for it? For a kill in a system that no Gallic likely has ever entered?

It makes zero sense to me. That's why I suggested it.

The IMG "by name bounties" are siriuswide, yes. But that's a completely different topic, as the consequences of a siriuswide name bounty are far less important and name bounties are useless anyway, no matter how high the payment or how generous the bounty zone is.

Quote:4. Mercnet - It works and it's metagaming proof. You have problems with it, file a report and since the admins have access to it, they can check if there is any foul play involved.
People did so, and they found 0 problems. It's controlled and it helps the admins by removing a ton of work out of their hands when it comes in regard of anonymous bounties.

Silver, why don't you spare us all the "I heard this and that" and for God's sake write an oorp explanation what MercNet can and what not? Why do I have to play guessing games and ask and write this?

Because no one (!) has ever cared to give me answers about that system.
You create a parallel system and you can't even find it without extensive search, there are no explanations, no FAQs... it's just very secretive and oorply shady where it should be irply shady.

Why don't you write an oorp post that is pinned in the respective section on how MercNet works?
That's where the problem lies. Not in the IMG bounty, even though you love to use this to reduce the value of my criticism.

I'll ask again:

Can a "non-faction player" post a blanket bounty via MercNet: Yes, or no?

Information like that should be provided by you, to keep rumors like these from spreading. Not asked by me.

No answer from Admins does not mean for me that your system is great. As the maker, it is your responsibility to explain what you are doing, and how you are doing it, and not the user's responsibility to use guessing games and assumptions (because there is no information) to have Admins check whether it really is okay.

Quote:Everything was already explained, once, twice and now you're doing it all over again.

No, it was not. If I had received ONE answer to the relevant questions, we would not be here.

All you told me was: "File a report if you think something is wrong".

So it was -not- explained. You -should- explain how your system works. Show that it is in the frame of the rules. Not getting an answer is not satisfying.

As I said: it's your responsibility. And my questioning the system was triggered by my curiousity about who that siriuswide bounty is about (I wanted to talk to the poster whether sirius-wide makes sense, see my dislike of siriuswide bounties that has, btw nothing to do with IMG but with maintaining/creating a logical rp framework).

So, true about the starting point of that quest. But that little investigation only was the start to my suspicion against the system. And so this is not about an IMG bounty, but about fairness, rules that apply to all and after the way you (not) answered, how people treat each other on a game. Because your treatment when I asked you easy questions showed me you did not even care to even react to questions.

Quote:Your problem with it is that due to it's anti-metagaming characteristics, you don't know who issued the bounty, thus you're incapable of using whatever inRP or ooRP tools you have at your disposal to bring it down. Yes, i also picked up some few interesting rumors along the way. On how the Renegades stopped hitting the IMG.

Don't know what that has to do with my criticism and my rule suggestions, but yeah, I get what you are implying. You are wrong, by the way. You are trying to hit back on a personal level for some easy questions asked about MercNet. But I won't jump on the "let's make this a personal battle" invitation. That would only ruin my fun in this game further.

I can tell you one thing: It would be easier and better to just answer the questions instead of attacking the one that asks them. Because the questions will not go away by that aggressive reaction to valid questions.

Quote:And on mercenary factions posting a bounty... It's the same as IMG opening up one and letting IMG ID'd chars able to collect.

If said bounty is open to other factions and independents, it's fair game.

So the example I mentioned sounds perfectly okay for you? "Okay", not as in: "Ok, it's acceptable rulewise", but "Okay as in: Yes, that's the way it should be"? Don't think so. That's why I posted. This thread is about "what would you change". So I posted.

Quote:And yes, that under the table deal with Prince DeFrance? I bet that comm thread (that is unhackable and shouldn't be meta'd) sent people flying.

Because i have already being questioned on what and who are the targets by IMG HC.
And i bet Duncan too.
All of that ooRP.
Poor form, kids.

Hm, you perfectly know that the inquiries had another background. You are in the channel where it was discussed. The inquiries were made because the way you rp-ed several incidents was regarded as exaggerated a lot in my view, not only in mine. So ofc I talked to the people in charge to make sure that e.g. an indie said something about a carrier in a system.... we both know the case, so let's cut this. It was discussed.

And now, please, stop spreading half-thruths to hit at me here. *rolleyes*

Funny, how personal you get when I ask a few harmless questions about your baby.

As I said: Just explain to people what you created there. And there will be a discussion about whether it is good, bad, acceptable, etc... and after that, no one has to play guessing games based on rumors any more.

Could save you and me some time and nerves.

And, you'll not believe it, but: generally I like the idea of MercNet, a centralised instance, etc. The current one would just need some explaining, some discussion, perhaps some slight changes. But yeah... my questions stand. You did -again- not answer them.
' Wrote:That's why I wrote "ZoI + some more regions". Used on your example:

Ofc Gallia should be able to bounty Bretonian ships.
But: in Bretonia and Taus, perhaps also the western parts of Kusari in my opinion.
But: Not in.... Liberty or Rheinland, or Omicrons, or Omegas.

Because that is what "sirius-wide" does.
A merc shoots a BAF in Omega 3, and harvests GRN money for it? For a kill in a system that no Gallic likely has ever entered?

It makes zero sense to me. That's why I suggested it.

Hitting Bretonian forces, wherever they are is a sound strategy in that example.
Because they can very well move their Cambridge-Omega 3 forces to help in a push in Leeds for instance.

Or Magellan. Or even Liberty or wherever they are.
In this case, Gallia needs a tired opponent. And what's better than an accosted tired one?

So yes, Sirius-wide does make sense.
' Wrote:The IMG "by name bounties" are siriuswide, yes. But that's a completely different topic, as the consequences of a siriuswide name bounty are far less important and name bounties are useless anyway, no matter how high the payment or how generous the bounty zone is.

Tell that to the 'sairs/=CR= and the success of the 101st Contract.

' Wrote:Silver, why don't you spare us all the "I heard this and that" and for God's sake write an oorp explanation what MercNet can and what not? Why do I have to play guessing games and ask and write this?

Because no one (!) has ever cared to give me answers about that system.
You create a parallel system and you can't even find it without extensive search, there are no explanations, no FAQs... it's just very secretive and oorply shady where it should be irply shady.

Why don't you write an oorp post that is pinned in the respective section on how MercNet works?
That's where the problem lies. Not in the IMG bounty, even though you love to use this to reduce the value of my criticism.

I'll ask again:

Can a "non-faction player" post a blanket bounty via MercNet: Yes, or no?

Information like that should be provided by you, to keep rumors like these from spreading. Not asked by me.

IMG at the time received a pm with the services that Mercnet made available.
Clean, unmetable, anonymous contract services.
Apart from taking the work from your hands, while you keep reaping the benefits,
no one can point you the finger and say "J'accuse!", as well the top mercenary companies working for you, without knowing they were actually working for you.

Mercenary business at it's best.

Can an individual player post a blanket bounty on Mercnet? Lolno.
Only with an official faction support and well within roleplay.

(RF board is one of those instances, since it has RHA suppport).

' Wrote:No answer from Admins does not mean for me that your system is great. As the maker, it is your responsibility to explain what you are doing, and how you are doing it, and not the user's responsibility to use guessing games and assumptions (because there is no information) to have Admins check whether it really is okay.
No, it was not. If I had received ONE answer to the relevant questions, we would not be here.
All you told me was: "File a report if you think something is wrong".
So it was -not- explained. You -should- explain how your system works. Show that it is in the frame of the rules. Not getting an answer is not satisfying.

Unfortunately i ain't the maker of Mercnet, i merely run it.
And as how and what am i doing, you're the only one with doubts, because, by looking at the number of contracts in Mercnet, everyone else knows very well how it work and what can it do and what it cannot do.

And my file a report reply was due to your constant badgering about the IMG bounty.
You came asking me who posted the bounty. I said i would not divulge the information.
You cried saying it wasn't within the rules, and i replied then for you to file a report.
Even after explaining you the fact that Mercnet is taking that work out of the admins backs.

' Wrote:As I said: it's your responsibility. And my questioning the system was triggered by my curiousity about who that siriuswide bounty is about (I wanted to talk to the poster whether sirius-wide makes sense, see my dislike of siriuswide bounties that has, btw nothing to do with IMG but with maintaining/creating a logical rp framework).

Lol. How quaint. Not ooRP pressure at all.

Considering that IMG is all over the place, i fail to see the problem with sirius wide bounties on IMG.
'Cause i fail to see the difference between individual bounties (99% of them are Sirius Wide) and blanket bounties (50%~ Sirius Wide).

Because if i am hiring someone to shoot my enemies, i do not care if it's near my backyard or in the neighbor's house or 2000 miles away. All i care is that my enemy gets dead.

' Wrote:So, true about the starting point of that quest. But that little investigation only was the start to my suspicion against the system. And so this is not about an IMG bounty, but about fairness, rules that apply to all and after the way you (not) answered, how people treat each other on a game. Because your treatment when I asked you easy questions showed me you did not even care to even react to questions.
Don't know what that has to do with my criticism and my rule suggestions, but yeah, I get what you are implying. You are wrong, by the way. You are trying to hit back on a personal level for some easy questions asked about MercNet. But I won't jump on the "let's make this a personal battle" invitation. That would only ruin my fun in this game further.

You already did that when you asked me who the issuer was, over and over again.
Even dropping the subtle hint before you filed the report, like it depended on it.
So yes Jack. When it comes to this, you can be very well certain, it got personal.
Because Silver hates pressure inRP, and you can very well bet i hate it ooRP.

' Wrote:I can tell you one thing: It would be easier and better to just answer the questions instead of attacking the one that asks them. Because the questions will not go away by that aggressive reaction to valid questions.
So the example I mentioned sounds perfectly okay for you? "Okay", not as in: "Ok, it's acceptable rulewise", but "Okay as in: Yes, that's the way it should be"? Don't think so. That's why I posted. This thread is about "what would you change". So I posted.
Hm, you perfectly know that the inquiries had another background. You are in the channel where it was discussed. The inquiries were made because the way you rp-ed several incidents was regarded as exaggerated a lot in my view, not only in mine. So ofc I talked to the people in charge to make sure that e.g. an indie said something about a carrier in a system.... we both know the case, so let's cut this. It was discussed.

All your rule questions were answered priorly in skype when you filed that report.
And the inquires for the whole DeFrance-Silver thing were like this:

"*Le wild PM shows in Skype* X: *disco thread link* You going to hunt IMG?"

Not even in the Reaver-IMG Channel.
And on that note, nothing is yet decided.
That's up to GRN in how they gonna spank your tushies.

' Wrote:And now, please, stop spreading half-thruths to hit at me here. *rolleyes*

Funny, how personal you get when I ask a few harmless questions about your baby.

As I said: Just explain to people what you created there. And there will be a discussion about whether it is good, bad, acceptable, etc... and after that, no one has to play guessing games based on rumors any more.

Could save you and me some time and nerves.

And, you'll not believe it, but: generally I like the idea of MercNet, a centralised instance, etc. The current one would just need some explaining, some discussion, perhaps some slight changes. But yeah... my questions stand. You did -again- not answer them.

As i said, Mercnet ain't my baby, and funnily enough you're the only one with doubts on it.
Mercnet is easily explained and understood.

It's admin controlled in every iteration.
Each contract issuer is unknown to the outside, preventing metagaming.
Any mercenary faction or freelancer ID'd hunter can apply to work for said contracts.
The hostility requirements are there except for specific cases (Wilde, Freelancer IFF)
The neutrality requirement brakes the notion of anonymity since it can be used to metagame the identity of the issuer, so it's the issuer prerogative to use it or not.
Every issuer is required to fill out a form and to transfer the escrow of the contract to one of Mercnet's banks.
Said form is saved and unmodifiable and accessible by and to the admin team.

The Mercnet system revolves around rule #9, since it aims to take that load off the admin team.

And no, i think Mercnet needs only one thing more.
More people to help me run it.

Q_Q
When will you finally accept that this is not about IMG? *sighs*

It is about what I think, I... as a user who stumbled into this badly documented (no pinned thread that explains it), well hidden (the portal page can only be found via forum search) system, and I didn't understand it. I asked questions (based on my knowledge of BB rules), got a cold shoulder, dug a little, found only wild rumors and possible discrepancies to the BB rules. Nothing else happened.

I'll just drop you my two remaining questions into Skype. Enough here, it's turning into a personal arena batte and I don't want to go there, it's also not adding anything to a constructive discussion environment.

Anyway, enjoy the nice day (hope it's nice where you live).

Jack
Instead of Kaze and Jack going off on each other because they can't get along.....

Sirius wide bounties make sense. Mercs are hired to do things the normal Military (or other groups) cannot do. That's the main purpose of mercs in the world.

Now take Gallia. We are at war with Bretonia. Sure, we have them bountied in our house, the taus, and bretonia. That's given. But why would we go "Oh, so you saw them in the omegas or Kusari? Oh no, even though we are at war we don't hate them -THAT- much.

Think about it. Gallia is going to say screw over Bretonians as much as possible, no matter the location.
' Wrote:Instead of Kaze and Jack going off on each other because they can't get along.....

Sirius wide bounties make sense. Mercs are hired to do things the normal Military (or other groups) cannot do. That's the main purpose of mercs in the world.

Now take Gallia. We are at war with Bretonia. Sure, we have them bountied in our house, the taus, and bretonia. That's given. But why would we go "Oh, so you saw them in the omegas or Kusari? Oh no, even though we are at war we don't hate them -THAT- much.

Think about it. Gallia is going to say screw over Bretonians as much as possible, no matter the location.

That's exactly the point. One of the few places where role-play actually meets reality. You don't care where that ship is, so long as it's destroyed and thus not available to help against you.

But there is also a twist, too. Just because someone is bountied everywhere doesn't mean that it's actually claimable everywhere due to RP consequences. I'll pick on Bowex, since they're Bretonian. Gallia puts a bounty on Bowex ships. Merc shoots down Bowex ships in Bretonia, that's fine. Merc then runs across Bowex ship in Rheinland. It's also fine to shoot that ship down due to the bounty there as well - BUT it's going to piss off Rheinland because Bowex is a lawful organization there.

So as long as you RP the consequences - meaning that the merc becomes red to the Rheinland lawfuls because even though all he's doing is collecting a bounty - he's also breaking the law of the house he's in, then no problem. THAT'S why Sirius wide bounties aren't a problem - because the mercenary should become red to pretty much all lawfuls.

We had that issue with the Kusari issued bounty on Junkers. We (BHG|) couldn't kill them in Rheinland with repercussions, but we could kill them in Omega-15 all day.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8