Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A new Pilot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You are now reading the journal of Mase Harre

#invalid passcode
#new user detected
>enter code:*****

>sudo journal gavin

***-----Journalling system: Gavin-----***

Is this working...?
Ah yes...I think so

I write this journal entry sitting in my new starflier orbiting my home planet with the computer manual in hand. I cannot put to words how elated I am to finally be in space without the aid of an instructor. I could honestly sit here for hours watching the majesty of it all. It has taken me years of scrimping and saving in order to be in this moment right now. It is funny to think that in the last few hours I have travelled a distance much further than the combined distances that I have travelled for the rest of my life.

Life on planet side was far too boring for me. Even as a child I would look into the sky at night and dream about the freedom to fly. My father was a fisherman and as I grew older I took on his trade. We would sale the oceans for months and carry a large cargo of food for the populous. Life on land has been rare for me and as such I have lived a very sheltered life. I know very little of the universe around me and have no idea what role I could play in this galaxy.

>End log

>append journal gavin

Swad! Life in space is terrifying!

I feel so naive...
What happened is as follows: I found myself near a battleship who opened comms with me and said that if I was looking for work I should dock with them. Doing so I was lead to a bar, a very spartan looking place where the ale was flowing freely. A lady approached me and introduced herself. She was looking for a pilot to fly ahead of her and make sure that the path was clear. I asked her if any threat was likely and she assured me that it would be fine.
So I agreed and headed out. After all, the wage she was offering me for this task was low and the distance wasn't too far away (relatively at least!)
However, there was trouble, of course.
My Starflier is but lightly armed and I have.....had absolutely no experience of combat. I tried shooting, but it turns out I can't hit a white whale on a black background. So, of course I had to run. Every shot that hit me flagged a new error up on my interface, shields failing, armour critical, somewhere inside this system is likely to be a log of it all, maybe once I figure out the commands a little more I'll be able to dig it out.
As I was fleeing the other ships where radioing in, shouting at me for my cowardice.
I am still shaking as I type this....I need booze.

>End log

>Set autopilot -> nearest base --facility: bar

#Welcome user: gavin
#the time is 10pm GMT
#no new mail

> journal gavin
#error, journal already has entry for "gavin"
>append jornal gavin

***-----Journalling system: gavin-----***

I have so much to tell you tonight!

That night in the pub shaken with depression a recruiter for Liberty came to me. Long story short he has taken me under his wing and fitted me with a new ship. I have sat through numerous briefings and now have a very basic idea about liberty. There is a lot of politics tied to these people but my new friend at the bar helped fast track me through it. Then he showed me the new ship that I would be flying.

What a ship!

I believe it was built by a race of people known as the Junkers and I can see why they might call it that. This thing is bolted together in a very rough way but she feels leaps and bounds above my old starflier. There are so many more buttons on this control panel, I've no idea about what even half of them do, and the hold space...you could fit at least 10 of my old ships in there!
I must now take to my bed, the morning I have been given a task of collecting hydrogen from a nearby ice field. a menial task I know but I am now in service to Liberty.

I have spent the whole month mining this hydrogen and delivering it. I cannot believe the wealth I have massed in just one day! The bases of Liberty are stocked for now and I need new work. I have more than paid my debt off for this ship with my actions. I have decided that it is time for me to leave this section of the galaxy and explore a little more. Bracing myself I took to the warp gate, what an incredible feeling! Speed that I have never known. I've never felt more excited!

In my travels I met up with a Judge, he listened to my story and suggested I take up life as a freelancer, he took me to the freelancer main base where my identity has been changed and I have been set up with a Stiletto ship.

My new name is Mase Haree and I am ready to forge my new destiny! Now...to find work!

> log off