Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The recent history of Jim Deschain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The room was lit dimly. The light from the candle danced on the wooden panels of the office. Jim took a sip of whiskey before he let his fingers fall on the ancient weapon. His father had given it to him as a gift before he passed away and his father before him for as long as memory serves. The light flickered dully across the edge of the weapon, menacing, like it was laughing at him for keeping it locked away in a drawer and now it would have its revenge. It looked older than the whole of Sirius, and probably was. The stories his father told him about where it came from were hard to believe but now, staring at it, the years of war it had seen, the lives it had taken were jumping out in these last moments. It wanted another victim, no it needed another victim.

He shook himself out of the trance that had grabbed him. Cardimine will do that you.

'€œHey esse, it'€™s your turn'€ a voice called seemingly from far away but with every way got clearer with every word. The room dulled the voice like it did with the light. It was the soundproofing of course, but it made the layers of baleful malice much more appreciable.
Jim had only wanted a ship to start his trading company but he didn'€™t have a penny, well no one had a penny on Leeds but that was just the way things went nowadays. He did the only thing he could to get out of the stink hole. He borrowed the money and the Corsairs were more than happy to deal with a budding entrepreneur.

'€œYou with us, esse, don'€™t want chu getting too drunk to play'€

Laughter filled the room, horrible mocking laughter, he could make out at least three other men in the room with him. **** why did he have to take that money?

He ran the tips of his fingers down the barrel of the ancient revolver before looping them around the grip.

The Corsairs had found it after ransacking the ship and wanted to play a game '€œAs old as the gun'€ but they had loaded every chamber with the ancient rounds.
He picked the gun up and held it against his head, the weight of the weapon terrible in his hands. For a fraction of a second he was sure it was going to tumble to the floor it seemed to weigh a ton. He thumbed the hammer back and stared into the darkness where he thought the pirate captains eyes were.

He pulled on the trigger releasing the pin and in the split second it took to hit the round he cursed himself for oiling it only just a week ago.

There was a dull thud as he sat there wincing. A dud he thought, relieved if for only a second.
He put the gun back down on the table with a metallic clack.

The Corsair Captain picked it up. '€œI knew ziz thing wouldn'€™t work!'€

'€œBut you'€™ve always loved your theatrics, Captain'€

'€œEy, you shut ze hell shut up! You'€™re lucky we didn'€™t juzt blow ze airlocks. Juan, show ziz guy who'€™s boss'€

A fist connected with Jims gut and he folded over in pain from the unexpected shot.

'€œIt'€™s your turn'€ he breathed out, exacerbated but with every drop of malice the Corsair had given him.

'€œLike **** it iz gringo'€

'€œDon'€™t be a pussy captain, you'€™re men are watching and I don'€™t think they'€™d want to follow a coward'€

'€œA coward! Esse you crossed ze line, I'€™ll show you who'€™s a coward,'€

He pressed the gun to his head

'€œAfter ziz I'€™ll tear your arms off and feed them to you'€

He thumbed back the hammer

'€œZiz thing don'€™t even wo--'€

A crash filled the room, Jim thought it was the loudest thing he'€™d ever heard and slammed his hands to his ears. The flash of light that took place revealed as he had suspected 2 other pirates. They were doubled over, obviously had never heard a gunpowder weapon fire before.
Before he knew it he was on his feet and kicked and kicked the first pirate with all his might, to on lookers it probably looked very camp but he didn'€™t care. He bent down and snatched the guards weapon and unloaded 3 shots into his face. The laser pistol let out a '€œsnap!'€ with each shot. Jim turned on his heels, the second guard was recovering from the revolver shot, but confusion and panic had gripped him, he couldn'€™t undo the button on his holster.
Whip cracks filled the air and the Corsair dropped.

//I'll be adding more history and back story when I have some time! I hope you've enjoyed this short story or as Stephen King says this "kiss in the dark"

For in game reference I am Arcadian (ship name) and currently working for the BAF, story of how that happened coming soon!