Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: At Any Cost: The Tale of Pita's Rescue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The little girl, smile still fixed on her face, hugged the pillow closer to her face as reached down and slowly, carefully pulled the blankets over her sleeping form. She made a soft noise of contentment as he stepped back from her bed.

She looks so peaceful. So… normal, and human, and everything else that a little girl deserves to be.

But then she was gone. The image changed, to a few hours afterwards. A tiny Arrow light fighter, an insignificant speck against the grand backdrop of stars behind it, flew away from him.

The girl’s terrified voice over open comms, crying out for him to save her. The smug, satisfied voice of the Rogue, Buster. And his own voice, screaming curses at the oblivion the girl was flying into. The tiny ship outran his Guardian with ease, and soon he watched her little light wink out, and her ID vanish from his screen.

But there had still been another person there, and he’d turned on her with a desperate fury. Amy, another of the Rogues, who had been part of Buster’s scheme. He’d dealt with her, putting her someplace the Rogues would never look. But what now?

You know what now, idiot. Start shooting people until we get what we want. It’s what you should’ve done from the beginning.

His eyes snapped open. He was in his room on the Missouri, on the bunk where he’d been unsuccessfully trying to sleep. But that last thought hadn’t been… his.

Look at what you’ve done to yourself. You’ve gone soft. Trying to save little girls now? You used to be someone! A man people knew, and feared!

Lambert stood, in a panic.

No, no. Not my head again. They didn’t get in. They couldn’t have…

Idiot. I’ve always been here, watching and waiting. You don’t recognize me?

I… what? No.

He didn’t want to hear any more. He leapt for his desk, where a breather mask connected to a tube waited. He snatched it up, pressing it to his face, and sucked in the gas.

Grown soft and stupid, have we? I’m…

He sighed as the voice faded. He continued to suck in the cardamine until the voice was completely gone. It was a lot more than he usually took, but he didn’t care.

He floated high on a current of air, being carried up and up. Time seemed to slow down slightly, as he felt re-energized and healthy again. The drug was a wonder, instantly turning him from an exhausted, unfocused mess to a strong, awake, and motivated person.

But best of all, it got rid of the voice.

He spent a moment considering his plan. He could go visit either of his “assets”, but the timing wasn’t yet right to start that phase of things. No, he needed to wait a little longer, but he couldn’t just sit around either. He needed to get out and DO something.

A patrol would do him good. He could go off the book a little bit and search around some out of the way places while he was at it, too.

A little over an hour later, he was in space in the California system, patrolling an asteroid field that tended to see a lot of Rogue activity. It was dead quiet; he hadn’t seen a soul in quite some time.

He was about to call it quits and move on to another area when he picked up something on long range scanners. He closed on it, and his ship’s CIC tentatively identified it as hostile. It was a Rogue alright, cruising along and making no effort to evade him.

He stopped the Rogue’s ship, a Wasupu. The pilot, a woman, didn’t seem to care. He asked who she was, and she evaded the question. Then he recognized the ship’s callsign, “Microsoft.Works”. It was the same ship he’d left Buffalo on; the one Pita had been flying when he had been rescued!

Careful boy, this one is dangerous.

The voice was back. Wonderful. But it was right, best to be careful.

He carefully asked about Pita, and she went on a rant about how annoyed she was with the girl. He pressed, and she described her irritation with how Pita had gone and gotten too close to a “Navy man”. By now, he was convinced he was speaking to the infamous Ruby herself.

Then she made her first move.

“Oh, let me guess. That brat told you all about how awful we are to her, made you feel so sorry for her... I bet she got something of value from you, didn’t she? She does that to all the boys. Tomorrow, she'll be onto the next one. Don't think you’re special because she took a shine to you, last week it was a man named...what was it? Greg.”

It took every ounce of his being to keep from flinching at the verbal assault. Still, his face paled a bit.

She’s lying. It’s a desperation play, an attempt to throw you off.

How could the voice possibly know that?

Because I haven’t forgotten who you really are. I’m not soft, and that’s what you need now, more than ever.

She continued, pressing her attack. “She plays the innocent kid well, doesn’t she? Had me fooled for a while too. Don’t feel too stupid, you’re not the only one she has wrapped around her little finger. It’s funny what big blue eyes can get a girl, huh? Especially one who’s that cute. You fell right into her web!”

He was struggling, but he managed a response. “If that's true, how about you tell me where she is so she can extort me some more, then? Isn't that what you want?”

She laughed, “She’s off with her other boy now. Police, I believe, this time. He did the same thing you did… a night out of town. Pity. That’s what the kid thrives on. Pity. You show any sign of weakness and she’s all over you. I trained her well!”

No, it couldn’t be true. The girl had cared, right? Surely he hadn’t been that wrong! But he couldn’t remember the specifics so well at the moment… had there been signs? But no, he was staking his life on the fact that she had been genuine. It was far too late to back down now.

Or was it? Could he walk away now, and wash his hands of the whole affair? Go back to being just a Navy pilot with no attachments and no ambiguity?

Wow, you have gotten weak. Would I have ever asked myself those things? No, when I start things I damn well finish them, whatever it takes.

No, it couldn’t be. The voice wasn’t…

That’s right. I’m the man you used to be. Erwin. And right now I think you need me more than ever to deal with this bitch.

Whatever had caused the voice to come about, whatever it represented, it didn’t matter. It was right. There was no way around it.

So he carefully unlocked the pit deep inside him, and unleashed the monster within.

His face drained of all emotion as his mind altered state. It was a true “poker face”, with the uncaring flippancy of a sociopath. He stared back at Ruby with a predator’s glare in his eye.

“So what’s to stop me from killing you, right here and now?”

“You want to know about the girl. You want to know all about what she’s been doing, how she played you like everyone else. You want to hear it so you can choose not to believe it. And you won’t kill me, because I know where she is, and you don’t.”

“Go on,” he said, voice more dead than a sun-drenched desert.

“It’s only going to upset you. I wouldn't want to do that, not after all she’s already done. It would be heartless...”

“That's a lie. Such a thought wouldn't even cross your mind.”

She ignored him. “I’m sure you want to hear all about how she traded in the last boy’s diamond earrings for some pain pills and Synthetic Marijuana. How do you think she affords that, hmm? She’s a child, she can’t go pirating like we can.”

“And how many times has she done this?” he asked. He had to keep her talking.

“I lost count after eight. You might be… the tenth? I don't pay attention, it’s not my business. She does it all the time.”

“And you say she's already moved on to her next target?” he asked.

“Love, when she left with Buster that was her way out. You wouldn't shoot a poor kid being taken against her will. I know your type, and you wouldn't ever do that. You'd try to find her, track her down. Everyone does, and they all end up dead.”

Emotionlessly, he said, “What a clever girl. She went to such lengths to try and convince me she was being taken.”

“She’s had practice, just leaving or going willingly never worked out for her, that’s how she got the bruises. She upset the wrong man, he saw her for what she really was. But hey, it all adds to the act, hmm?”

“That's true.”

“After all, what would you have done if she went willingly? Just let her go, right? Well, then she would have the problem of trying to lure you out to get the boys to finish you off. It’s easier if you go to her, love. Makes for a tidier job.”

“Why kill me, though? Why not do it before, when I was helpless?”

“Why? You must have something she still wants... money, jewelery, your ship, maybe.”

“I don't think so,” he said, voice still robotic and apathetic. “I'm just a simple Navy officer, living a simple life.”

“You're doing well, love. You almost have me believing you don’t care about her. Let me guess, you'd kill her, because she is a Rogue. After all, the torment and the suffering she put you through on Buffalo…”

“Kill her? That’s not what I’m going to do at all.”

“No..? You'd keep her as your own. You think she loves you like a father. Her real father is still on Alcatraz, with her mother.” She frowned. “You don’t want to know what she’s doing...”

“Oh? Try me. I'm curious.”

“I'm sure you are. There is a ship, somewhere in Sirius. Pita is on this ship, with some of her old friends. She’s safe, from people like you, anyway.”

“What old friends? Friends such as Buster?”

“Poor Buster. Thought he was doing her a favor, saving her from the awful navy man. He didn't expect me to be there waiting. Why would he? He assumed he would be able to get her somewhere safe.”

“What happened to him?”

“Oh, he’s about. He’s still looking for her. Silly boy should have kept a better eye on her.”

“I see.”

“You can't expect to keep someone safe if you don't watch what they are doing! And no, I didn’t take her. She was there waiting, told me she wanted to go home, that she wanted everything to return to normal. She thinks you've forgotten about her. You let them take her without a fight. She saw that, you know. She was so upset, the poor girl.” Ruby stared at him, a wild look in her eye.

Lambert felt a momentary stab of fear and guilt, but then realized something…

Yes, her tale begins to unravel. The lies begin to reveal themselves. Keep her talking. Give her enough rope to hang herself with.

“Upset that she didn't get to finish the game? To kill me?” he replied, a hunger in his eyes now.

“Upset that you didn't even try to get her back. She was fond of you; otherwise she would have killed you on Buffalo. Instead she took you out of harm’s way and let you go. And you couldn't even go try and save her!”

“That's right. And good thing I didn't, too,” he lied with a practiced smoothness. “Now, are you finished?”

She ignored his question, having built up a head of steam and pressing forward, blind to the trap she was walking into. “Right. Because you don't care. If I killed her now, you wouldn't care. She’s just another Rogue, after all.”

Lambert looked her straight in the eye. “You're right. But you won't.”

“She’s already on the floor of that ship unconscious and bleeding, why wouldn't I finish her off?”

And boom goes the dynamite. Time to move in for the kill.

“Why would she be unconscious and bleeding? I thought she was doing exactly what you wanted her to?”

“Because she decided to get close to a navy man, the foolish child. Right up until that point, she was doing what I wanted. But hey, I guess it’s not her fault you were nice to her, made her feel wanted. That’s the way the cookie crumbles now though isn't it? After all, you admitted you don't care.”

Lambert pressed forward, probing for weakness. “And that caused... what exactly? What made her deserve a punishment?”

She laughed, a shrill sound that spoke of insane obsession. “She was going to leave. She was going to leave to go live happily ever after with you. I won’t let that happen. She’s my child. Not yours.”

Lambert offered her a wolfish grin. “A tip for you, Rogue. When you spin your web of lies, you had best first be sure you're not going to get caught in it yourself.”

Ruby blanched. “You’re smarter than most. I'll give you that.”

“Anything else you feel like telling me? I don't suppose you'll make this easier on everyone and just tell me where she is…? Trust me, it will work out much better for you if you do.”

“Now why would I do that? If I tell you where she is, I'll just need to go and kill her quickly.”

“I didn't think so, Ruby. Now let me tell you what's going to happen. You're not going to do anything else to her. There is only one thing left for you to do now... and that is to die. Target acquired -- weapons hot!”

His Guardian sprang to life, leaping towards her stationary ship and spitting blue fury. She shrieked and quickly cut the connection, desperately dodging most of his fire.

The battle was on. Lambert fought with a calm, furious focus, the cardamine enhancing his perception, and the voice inside him feeding his iron will. Usually shaky, uncertain movements were crisp and decisive. The ship became an extension of his body, and he thirsted to enact vengeance on the woman who had caused so much pain and suffering.

The Guardian screamed into another sharp turn, ripping around an asteroid to make another pass at the Wasupu. Lambert opened up at close range, and Debilitators and Vengeances ripped through Ruby’s shields and caused some hull damage.

Lambert was taking it around for another pass when a new voice, deep and male, came over the comm. “So, someone wants to mess with my lady. Alright, boy, you're mine!”

A rough-looking Rogue ship sped out of the field, targeting Lambert’s Guardian. “Stay out of this, whoever you are,” Lambert said.

“You're kickin’ my wench’s ass, boy. Only I GET TO DO THAT!”

The new entrant opened up, ripping into Lambert’s shields. Ruby, already getting low on nanobots, taunted Lambert, urging him to run.

Surely a Navy pilot won’t run from two pathetic Rogues? You can kill the “wench”, at least. Or, rather, I can.

Lambert moved without actually thinking, surprised as his hands worked the flight stick through a perfectly executed anchor turn. He made a firing pass at the new ship, then blasted Ruby further. His mouth opened and he howled with rage at the inside of his cockpit. Ruby would die, or he would.

The fight continued, and despite his best efforts, he was losing. Together, they simply had too much firepower for him to keep up with. He just had to get her first…

Soon, his console displayed the red warning that indicated depleted nanobots and shield batteries. Suddenly, the computer screamed out a warning, and he wrenched the stick to the left, trying to evade…

His ship blew apart around him, and he was propelled away from it as the automatic ejection system kicked in. The pod instantly formed around him, and before he knew it, he was floating in space.

The comm was silent, as it could only pick up directed burst transmissions. The silence was palpable, as the weight of his failure crashed down around him. They would take him now, that or leave him out here to rot. And he didn’t even have a way to end it himself and be spared the torment.

Tears welled up in his eyes as he contemplated his complete powerlessness in this moment. He had come so close, and had done so well up to this point! Now the girl would die along with him, and there was nothing that he could do about it.

In that moment, a part of him shriveled up and died. A small, pathetic man wept for his loss, an insignificant speck on the face of the universe. It was cold, and silent. A tomb as fitting as any.
The silence was abruptly broken by a voice on the comm. “Lambert, do you read? This is David Hale. I just saw your ship flick off comms, what happened?”

Lambert stared incredulously for a moment. Fleet Admiral David Hale? How could it be possible…?

After a long moment, he recovered from his shock and stammered out a reply. “This is Lambert. I was going after a Rogue, when…”

The entire story came out in a rush.

“Well, if you need a pickup, then I'll swing past. Technically I'm off duty, but...”

Surely this was too good to be true. “I wouldn't suggest it, sir. The Rogues are still out here.”

“This ship isn't something to mess with. I'll be able to look after myself. Now, just give me a location.”

“I had pursued her into the asteroid field a ways, near what I think must be a base of theirs. I think they're planning to do something with my pod. If you hurry, you might be able to...”

Abruptly, the comm squealed with the sound of communications jamming. Lambert cursed. He hoped his transponder signal hadn’t been blocked as well…

He waited several long, agonized minutes. Finally, a Sabre appeared, far away on the edge of the asteroid field. It grew closer and closer, and stopped as the two Rogues came out to meet it. Lambert smiled as he realized what must be happening. Despite spending most of his time behind a desk these days, Hale was still regarded as a legendary pilot, and was rightly feared by most of the Navy’s enemies.

Hale’s ship moved closer, finally entering range. There was a flash of light as Lambert’s pod was ripped out of space by the Sabre’s tractor beam and deposited in the cargo bay. Lambert sat in the pod, waiting, as he slowly tried to reconcile everything in his head.

He wasn’t going to die… he’d been given a second chance to make things right. The feeling was indescribable. He felt like a brand new man.

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a docking bay outside the ship’s hull. They must have arrived at Hale’s destination.

Abruptly his pod was being opened, and he was face to face with the commander-in-chief of the Primary Fleet, Fleet Admiral David Hale. He was dressed in civilian clothes, and offered Lambert a hand up. He took the hand, and was pulled out of the pod.

“So, those two Rogues…” he said.

“Yes, sir?” Lambert fought the urge to salute the Admiral, despite his off-duty attire.

“You know how to pick ‘em, don’t you?”

Lambert smiled weakly. “I guess so. I assume you’ve heard of the Rogue named ‘Ruby’?”

“Definitely.”

“Well, that was her, alright. Shame, I almost got her too, before the other bastard jumped in...”

“If I'm not wrong, the other one wouldn't have been anyone other than ’Lord’ Moka himself. The two of them are like peas in a pod.”

Lambert blanched as he realized he’d been fighting perhaps the two most powerful Rogues currently in existence. “Moka...? That would make sense, sir. On a lot of levels.”

“The voice and tone give hints like nothing else. Can't be completely sure though.” Hale paused a moment. “So what’s the story here, Lambert?”

Lambert took a deep breath, and then started telling the story, starting from his capture by the Rogues, Pita taking him off the base, his further interactions with her, how she had decided to stay with him, and finally, her capture by the Rogues. Hale listened carefully, asking the occasional question.

Hale frowned as the story concluded. “Having rogues killing kids is not something that's acceptable.”

He opened the cargo hold, and both men stepped out. Lambert immediately recognized this as the deck of the Battleship Yukon.

“I agree, sir. Wholeheartedly.” Lambert said emphatically. Then he lowered his voice, “I do have something of a plan though.”

“The issue is, busting our way into whatever base the poor kid happens to be on, would be... difficult. And definitely not without risk, to us or anyone else.”

“Ruby's behavior leads me to believe she isn't operating within the Rogue command structure in regards to Pita.”

“Any chance they're related?” Hale asked, stepping over to lean against the side of his Sabre.

“None, sir. Pita has parents, but they just don't want her around. Ruby has some kind of bizarre interest in the girl, though I'm not sure what.”

“I'm long past expecting normal social interactions from Rogues, so that doesn't hold much of a surprise to me either.”

“I think Pita’s being kept on a ship somewhere, though. Ruby said that, and I don't think she was lying. There are two angles here. One is a DSE employee who volunteered to help and just so happens to have recently repaired Pita's ship's computer.”

Hale looked a bit confused. “DSE?”

“Yes. She apparently had a run-in with the girl recently. She wants to help.”

“That's a little more of a surprise. What's the name of the DSE employee?”

“Indeed, I was surprised as well at her offer of help. Her name is Catelyn Smith,” Lambert replied.

“Hmm... not a name I recognize. But I'll keep an eye open.” Hale looked thoughtful. “And the second ‘angle’, as you put it?”

“A captive Rogue, who I caught after they took Pita. Her name is Amy.” I hid her... someplace they will never look for her, and she may be cooperative.”

“There are legal issues with hiding captives, James,” Hale said, frowning.

“I understand. However, there are two things to note here. One, she is not in Liberty space. And second, she is under no duress and is quite comfortable, I assure you.”

“Might be I'll have to talk with her a little. If she's not so fond of the rogues any more, might be she's of more than just a little use on a far wider scale than simply getting hold of Pita.”

“I...” Lambert hesitated a moment. “That may be possible, sir. But she has agreed to cooperate on the condition that there be no government intervention.”

“You'd better be aware of exactly how many regulations you've not only broken, but trampled over...”

Lambert winced as the admiral’s tone changed. “I know, sir. And I am prepared to accept the consequences for that. But this girl is worth it to save, sir.”

“Just so happens that your reasons for doing it may well be the right ones,” the admiral replied.

“I'm very glad you think so, sir.”

Hale sighed and rubbed his eyes. “Jesus... two days without sleep and 36 hours of solid on duty time... and since deciding enough was enough, I've been running around after lost Lamberts.” He smiled slightly.

Lambert picked up on the humor, and smiled back. “I know what you mean about the whole not sleeping thing, sir. And…” he hesitated, sobering. “Thank you for coming to pick me up, sir. That almost got very nasty back there.”

Hale merely nodded. “Look, I'm willing to keep as much of this is appropriate on the down-low. Provided that it gets worked through subtly. Now, I'm definitely gonna have to see with my own eyes about this Amy girl. Not that I don't trust your judgment, but there's human rights to be considered, even when it's someone else's rights that you're trying to facilitate.”

“I understand, sir. I'll contact you before I visit her next. I think it would be alright if you were to come with me, just us.”

“Keep me in the loop, Lambert. I'll keep an eye and an ear our for news about Pita.”

“Thank you, sir. I'll contact you soon about the captive.”

“Might also contact some certain assets we have in certain places to relay whatever they find out back to us,” Hale said.

“That would be most helpful, sir.”

Hale began to climb back into the cockpit of his Sabre.

“Thank you again, sir. For everything.” Lambert called up.

The admiral smiled. “Good luck, Lambert.”

He clambered into the cockpit and sealed it up. Lambert turned and started walking away as the Sabre launched back into space.

He’d lost his ship, but in return gained possibly the most powerful ally of them all.
Lambert was awoken from a fitful sleep aboard the Missouri by the pinging of his console. It took him a long moment to realize he was no longer on Buffalo, in the tender care of Banshee.

No, he was safe, and he had a new message, it seemed.

He dragged himself out of bed, more tired now than when he’d lain down to sleep, and stepped to his console. The message was from Catelyn Smith, the girl he’d met who worked at DSE. She’d said she had encountered Pita in space, and apparently cared about the girl’s fate as well.

The message was short, terse even. She wanted to meet him in space. She was ready.

It was time. The realization hit him suddenly, and forcibly yanked him from his exhausted state. It was time to go find the girl, and save her.

Quickly, he put in calls to several ranking members of the Primary Fleet who he knew were reliable. He arranged to meet his hastily-assembled task force in space in Virginia.

Messages away, he ripped off his shirt and ran to his closet. A few minutes to get himself ready, and then it would be time…

“Miss Smith, I received your message. I hope you have some good news about Pita's location.”

Catelyn frowned a moment, looking at her display. “Well, I've run that tracer program, but the results are still coming in.”

“I see. And what have you seen so far?”

“I'm working through the Arrow’s last known trajectory, but I keep losing the signal...”

Lambert frowned. “Out of range, perhaps?”

“More like radar interference,” she replied.

They were in Virginia, assembling their strike force. Captain Polstari was present, on the Lake Shasta, his Siege Cruiser. Commander Clark was also present, on his Grizzly. Lambert had yet another new Guardian, and Cate was flying a Camara. All in all, it was a solid beginning to a task group.

A moment later, the comm crackled to life again as Cate spoke. “Got it! I’ve found the Arrow.”

“Where is it?” Lambert demanded.

“But… the onboard computer is not detecting any life signs in the cockpit. I have the Arrow's location but she's definitely not on board.”

“Distribute the data,” Clark ordered.

She nodded and the data appeared on everyone’s screen. “Looks like… Puerto Rico?” Lambert said, surprised. “That would actually make a strange sort of sense, given her last known trajectory.”

Cate nodded. “If you can get me close I can get more info off the computer, and hopefully find more clues as to what happened.”

“How close?” Lambert asked.

“Within scanner range, at least.”

Lambert frowned. “I’m not sure I can go into Puerto Rico. I have upset the Junkers of late.”

This sparked a brief discussion, and Lambert decided on a plan. Cate and Clark would go into Puerto Rico through Texas, while he and Polstari would go around the back way through Kansas and Humboldt, and move in if there were any problems.

They moved out, and Lambert joined the Lake Shasta on a journey through the perilous minefield into Kansas.

After jumping through into Kansas, Catelyn came back over the comms, with news. “Okay, I have downloaded the logs and there seems to be an audio transcript from the cockpit of the Arrow soon after it touched down here in Puerto Rico.”

“Oh?” Lambert said, a thoughtful frown spreading across his face. This could be exactly what they needed.

“She was forcibly removed from the cockpit... I'm trying to clean up the audio now,” Cate said. There were another few seconds of silence, and then she spoke again. “One of the thugs mentioned… Humboldt. We've gotta get to Humboldt!”

“Humboldt? Are you sure?” Lambert asked. It was certainly remote enough, and still Rogue territory. It made a twisted sort of sense.

“Positive. Now I'm just looking at some of the guncam footage from the Arrow's external cameras. Hopefully there's an image of the ship they picked her up in… there it is! But, I can't quite make it out…”

“If we've narrowed it down to one system we should be able to perform a sensor sweep if all else fails,” Lambert said, pleased that they had finally found a place to start looking. “But keep looking, and meet us in Humboldt.”

As his Guardian raced through the barren Kansas system alongside Polstari’s Cruiser, a plan began to come together in his mind. He opened a private comm to the Lake Shasta’s bridge.

“Sir, I believe it would be best for your ship to remain back a ways and out of scanner range once we find this vessel. If necessary, you can move in for support, but I don’t want to spook the Rogues into doing anything rash until we’re able to get Pita out of there.”

Polstari nodded, but frowned a bit. “I’ll work with you on that, but we’ll see what happens.”

It was then that they reached the Humboldt jumphole, and moved through. The immediate area was clear, and the Shasta waited at the jumphole while Lambert moved out on a search pattern. Catelyn and Clark had also just arrived from Puerto Rico, and were spreading out and searching as well.

Time slowed to a crawl as Lambert sped through the asteroid fields, scanners reaching out to the sides. He had to find this ship… and soon.

After ten minutes that felt like ten hours, he emerged from a gas cloud and picked up several unknown ships on his scanners. As he approached they were identified: A Rhino freighter and a massive Pilgrim Liner.

“Contacts! All units please converge on sector E4!” Lambert cried out over the group comms. He was too late, the Rogues were already here.

“Well, well… look who’s late to the party.” The voice of Buster, rich with sarcasm. So Ruby’s strong-arm had made it here first.

Ruby’s voice came over the comms now, from the Rhino. “Come any closer and the kid dies.” Her voice cracked with a kind of insane desperation.

Lambert was angry now, angrier than he’d been in a long time. The situation was practically hopeless for Pita now, but all he could think about was how close he’d come, once again.

I’ll be damned if I let it slip through my fingers again.

“Where. Is. Pita.” He demanded over the comms, stating each word with a deadly precision.

“Pita is here.” Ruby replied, with a forced smile.

“I’ll need to hear from her myself, just to confirm.” Lambert stated, a steely glint in his eye.

“Buster here can confirm that,” Ruby replied, with a hint of a smile.

“She’s alive, Lambert. I checked.” Buster said flatly.

Right, as if I’ll trust a word you say.

“What's your game here, Buster? It's your fault she's here, after all.”

“My fault? I’m not the one who kidnapped her in the first place!” Buster replied.

Lambert frowned at the bizarre interpretation of events. Then again, Rogues weren’t well known for their logical faculties, after all.

His frown deepened as a new voice came over the group’s secure comms net. “This is Admiral Rachel Baker aboard the Bunker Hill. What exactly is going on, gentlemen?”

“We’re conducting an operation in Humboldt, ma’am,” Lambert replied, unable to keep the tenseness out of his voice.

“Is this related to that... Rogue?” the Admiral replied, eyes narrowing.

“It is, Admiral,” he paused a moment, thinking of how to proceed with her. He didn’t have the impression that Baker approved of his recent actions at all, and she could potentially derail the entire operation if she chose. “Have you spoken to Admiral Hale recently, ma’am?” he said, probing.

She frowned. “Not so much, no.”

“He would like the girl rescued. Human rights issues, as well as some potential intelligence. He hasn’t cut orders to that effect, for hopefully obvious reasons, but we’re out here to get her back.”

She shot him an intent look with her blue eyes. “Lambert...you're on scene...she's your contact. What do you recommend?”

“We have a hostage situation, ma'am. "Ruby" who is believed to be a high-placed Rogue and the lover of Lord Moka, has her.”

He had never before been in such a situation before, having to devise a plan and for all intents and purposes lead Admirals, Captains, and Commanders, but there was no turning back now, so he pressed forward.

“Admiral, if you wouldn’t mind bringing the Hill out to Humboldt, your help would be appreciated. Captain, please approach my location, but please keep back just out of the Rogues’ scanner range. Commander, please prep your marines for a hostile boarding action.”

They all simply nodded and proceeded about their work. Clark began strapping on a set of battle armor, and a marine off-screen handed him a shotgun. Polstari barked an order to his helmsman, and sounded the general quarters alarm. Baker simply turned to her right and issued a few quiet instructions to her crew.
Ruby’s harsh voice came back over the open comms. “I see you called in the troops. Not that it makes a difference.”

“They're here. But they won't do anything stupid, I assure you.” Lambert said, hoping it was true.

Buster spoke again, this time merely muttering. “Stupid was coming here in the first place… swatting Moka’s flies.”

Hearing this, Lambert frowned. “By fly you mean Pita? That’s all she is to you, after all?”

Buster laughed. “No, I mean Ruby’s hired brigands.”

“So she's not here under the auspices of the Rogues?”

Ruby spoke again. “Do you think Moka would allow that?”

Lambert scoffed. “I hardly would know what Moka would or wouldn’t allow.” He hesitated, then asked, “What's your game, Ruby?”

She laughed. “My game? The kid’s a traitor.”

Buster spoke right after her. “All the traitorous deeds this wench has committed…”

Ruby snapped back. “She was meant to be taking my role. Can't let a navy hugger do that now, can I?”

“No Ruby, you are the only traitor I see here,” Buster replied.

Lambert sighed. “Wait, wait a second. Accusations flying everywhere. Buster, who is a traitor? Ruby? Why?”

“Moka gave me orders to protect her. Ruby has hurt the child and taken her hostage against our will. Do I need to spell it out for you any further?”

It was all starting to make sense. There were three factions at play here, not two. Hale had been more right than he ever would’ve guessed. Dissention in the Rogue ranks…

“So, Ruby’s a Rogue gone rogue…” Lambert laughed softly under his breath at the irony of that statement.

All of a sudden, a proximity alarm sounded in his cockpit. His head whipped around as he realized that a new enemy contact was coming up from behind him. It was also registering on his scanners as Hellfire Legion.

With one hand he yanked his flight stick to the right, bringing his ship around to face the new threat, while his other hand flew over the keypad, bringing his weapons online and preparing for potential evasive maneuvers.

Sure enough, a new voice came over the comms. “This is Chase ‘Format’ Steel. Readings show Navy.”

“Stay out of this, Legion. This ain't your business." Lambert replied, hoping for the unlikely chance the Hellfire ship simply decided to leave them be. As the ship closed, he realized it was a “Scylla” class cruiser.

His blood froze in his veins. The Scylla closed to extreme weapons range and stopped, facing Lambert’s stationary Guardian. Lambert was the only thing standing between it and Ruby… and by extension Pita’s death.

There was chatter over the comms. The Rogues reacting to the sudden newcomer, and his allies began moving to respond. Lambert ignored all of it, completely focused on the Scylla taking up an alarming amount of his viewspace. A single bead of sweat dripped from his forehead onto his nose.

“Who said I was here to fight?” the Legion ship’s captain responded.

“Then why are you here?” Lambert enquired.

The captain of the Hellfire ship responded, “Can’t a man talk?” with a somewhat mocking tone.

Lambert frowned. “It just so happens that I’m not particularly interested in anything you have to say.”

“I didn’t come to talk to you, Navy,” was the response.

Suddenly Admiral Baker came back over the Naval comms net. “Lieutenant Lambert... what is your status? Report now!”

Lambert hesitated a moment, then responded. “Currently staring down a Scylla, ma’am.”

A muttered curse was all he heard in response. Polstari was moving to assist him, but for the moment he remained alone.

“What exactly are you Navy boys doing here, anyway?” the Scylla’s captain asked.

Lambert scowled. “We don't have any interest in this system or the Legion, if that's what you want to know.”

“Then leave, and let me deal with this Rogue’s fate.”

“Hardly. I believe we have the advantage here, after all,” Lambert replied, as the Shasta finally pulled up alongside him.

“Seems you would. But did you not say you have no interest? I am sure there are better things to do with your time, Navy.”

“All we want this girl aboard that freighter over there. After we get her, we'll leave.”

The Legion captain hesitated a moment, clearly considering his options. Finally, he spoke again. “Very well, I’ll leave you be for now. But be quick about it, because if I find you loitering about too long, I’ll be back with some friends.” He grinned wickedly, and then cut the connection. The Scylla lumbered around, and returned into the same cloud it had emerged from.

Lambert breathed a long sigh of relief, as the Rogues continued to chatter and Polstari brought the Shasta back to bear against them.

He noted that Admiral Baker’s gunboat had arrived in-system when a private comms request came in from the woman herself. He pressed the button to accept it with some trepidation.

Baker appeared on-screen, with the cramped bridge of her gunboat in view behind her. Her typically severe features were now tinged with a bit of concern. “Lieutenant,” she said. He nodded in response, but before he could speak she asked, “How are you holding up?”

The question took him off-balance. Her concern, especially at a time like this, was certainly unexpected. He wasn’t sure whether she was asking because she was concerned about his ability to carry out this mission or out of… personal interest. He devoutly hoped it was the former.

“I'll be fine once we get the girl back, ma'am,” he said, shrugging off her concern. This was, after all, not a time to get distracted.

Baker pursed her lips, and he found himself recoiling ever so slightly from her piercing blue gaze. Then she simply nodded brusquely and cut the connection.

“Hey Lambert, who’s this corporate dead beat you brought with ya, anyways?” Buster asked.

Lambert shook himself slightly. No distractions, just stay focused, idiot.

“Easy Rogue… she’s the reason we found you.”

Buster grunted, but Lambert continued before he could reply, in an effort to keep their attention off Catelyn. “Buster, last I saw Pita, you were hauling her off. Now she has her. Either you gave the girl to her, or... You're a momumental idiot. Which is it?”

“Are we allowed to vote on that?” Polstari asked.

Buster replied, but Lambert ignored him. “Now, since I don’t trust either of you, I want to hear her voice. NOW. Proof that this isn’t yet another one of your games, Spider.”

Ruby sneered. “You can have the audio, but no visual.”

“That will suffice,” Lambert replied.

Moments later, a new voice came over the comms, clearly Pita. She sounded terrified. “Don't let.... Don’t let her kill me... Please.”

“Pita? Pita!”

Ruby again. “That’s all you get, I’m afraid. Now you know the hopelessness of your situation.”

Lambert switched back to the Navy comm net. “Okay, we’re going to have to go in there. How many marines do you have aboard, Captain?”

“Standard compliment of 24 at the moment. Two full fire teams.”

“Very good. And you, Admiral?”

“Two fireteams, though the Marines aboard the Hill are...more specialized. Sixteen marines total.”

Lambert nodded, then switched back to the open channel. “Ruby, surely you know there's no escape from this for you, right?”

She shrugged. “If I die, so does the kid.”

“Is that really what you want? Perhaps an exchange, for her life?” Much as he balked at the thought of letting Ruby go after all she’d done, he would much rather avoid risking Pita’s life in a firefight.

Ruby’s response was simply another of her insane laughs, this time tinged with an extra dose of hysterical desperation.

Buster growled. “I swear Ruby, you touch her and I’ll peel the skin right off your face!”

Ruby’s features hardened. “Make one move and I kill her now.”

Buster frowned but remained silent. Lambert was concerned about his stake in all this. Whether he was truly against Ruby or was still with her, he was likely to try and intervene once Lambert made his move.

Lambert punched up Buster’s ship in a private communication. “Buster, listen to me. Ruby’s not going to talk anymore. That means I’m going in there to get Pita.”

Buster sighed, then slowly nodded. “I know. I was afraid it would come to this, but it seems there’s no chance she’s gonna hand the girl over.”

Lambert fixed him with a steady gaze, blue eyes icy. “All I ask is that you stay out of the way once we go in. In return… I will see to it that you are allowed to leave when this is all over.” He made that concession even though by the book he had no power to stop Baker or Polstari if they disagreed.

Good thing Buster doesn’t know that.

Buster paused a moment, thinking. Then, “I can’t promise that, Lambert.”

“And why not?”

“Because the girl has a special place in my heart, same as yours. That’s why.” Buster replied.

Lambert sighed, shaking his head, and cut the connection to the Rogue. Either Buster would stay out of the way, or he would die. It was simple as that.

He returned to the Navy comms. “Now, ladies and gentlemen, I have devised a plan that just might work. If I may…?”

Heads nodded all around, and so Lambert began hashing out his plan with the other officers.
The standoff was maintained, neither side willing to risk making a move. And yet Lambert’s plan was already in motion.

The Bunker Hill, Lake Shasta, and Lambert’s Guardian all converged. From the Rogues’ distant viewpoint, it almost resembled a huddle.

Admiral Baker broke the silence over the open comms. “Captain Polstari. Move the Shasta back to the California system. We won’t need you here any longer.”

For his part, Polstari sounded slightly puzzled as he acknowledged the order, and the Shasta slipped back into the cloud, directly away from the Rogues.

Lambert’s voice came back over the open comms unit again. “You really do have a pathetic existence, don’t you Ruby? So ready to die, just to spite us.”

Ruby openly snarled at him. “I had everything before Buster here destroyed it. So I guess you can blame him for this, after all.”

Lambert sighed. What Ruby didn’t know was that he was no longer aboard his Guardian. He’d left it powered up, floating in space, but he was now aboard the Shasta, along with Baker’s marines. He’d managed to route his ship’s communications through the small earpiece now in his ear. So long as he didn’t get out of range of his Guardian, he could both hear everything and speak as if he were still aboard it. Hopefully it would be enough to fool Ruby.

He sealed the last piece of battle armor to his body. It was fortunate that the Shasta carried a few spare sets, and one actually fit his tall frame.

Reaching out, he grabbed an assault rifle off a nearby rack, checking it. M-19 Assault Rifle, pretty standard fare slugthrower for marines, but decked out with a plethora of enhancements. Carbon fiber stock, reflex scope, three round burst, integrated sound and flash suppression, hair trigger… Yes, it would do nicely. Lambert strapped a pistol and ammo pouch to his waist and followed the other marines out of the armory and towards the assault shuttles.

He touched the earpiece, tapping back into the command net. “Captain Polstari, I think it’s time.”

Polstari’s voice came through the earbud clearly. “Understood. Activating device. Stand by for phase shift.”

Lambert reached the boat bay just as the device activated. The ship shuddered for a moment, and then was still. Lambert walked up to the group of marines standing near the shuttles.

The man in the center of the bunch turned to him and snapped a quick salute. “Lieutenant, I’m Gunny Melnikov commanding the marine detachment from the Bunker Hill. I’ll be acting as your second in command for this op.”

Lambert returned the salute. “So, we have forty marines here, plus myself.” He nodded slowly. It would be more than enough to get the job done. “We’re gonna get in close on this one, close enough for EVA boarding. Gunny, can you create four demo teams of three men each to open up some holes in the freighter?”

Melnikov nodded, and Lambert pulled out a small datapad. He configured it for holoprojection mode, and an enlarged 3D schematic of a Rhino freighter appeared above the pad. Lambert poked four access hatches on the freighter’s starboard side, and they glowed red. “I want one team on each of these hatches, which we’ll designate Doors 1-4, going from bow to stern.”

Heads nodded all around. Lambert hadn’t done anything remotely like this since his early days at the academy, but his making-it-up-as-he-went-along approach seemed to be working thus far.

“The rest of us will be split between the two assault shuttles, from now Hotel-1 and Hotel-2. I’ll command the men from Hotel-1, and Melnikov will take Hotel-2. We’ll follow the demo teams in, and we’ll hit the first two open hatches. From there, we’ll spread out by squads and secure the vessel. The goal is to get the girl Pita out alive.”

Lambert pressed a button on the pad and the image switched from the Rhino to an image capture of two faces: Pita’s and Ruby’s. “Ruby here is likely to be the only hostile aboard, but don’t count on that. Also don’t count out a possible counterattack from another hostile ship, so we’ll be posting guards at all likely entry points as well.

“This needs to be precise and quick. We need to get Pita,” pointing at her image, “out of Ruby’s control and off the ship as quickly as possible. We will have the element of surprise on our side, but if Ruby gets to Pita before we do, we’ll have a hostage situation on our hands. If that happens… we’ll have to resolve it however we can. Everyone got it?”

Heads nodded all around, and Lambert smiled. “I look forward to seeing you men in action. The gunny here will give you your individual assignments. Good luck.”

With that, he turned around and climbed into the first shuttle. He selected the first seat by the boarding hatch, wanting to be the first one aboard. Every second would count once they dropped out of stealth.

Polstari’s voice crackled over the earpiece. “We’re 8k out. Everything set down there?”

“We’ll be locked and loaded in 30 seconds, sir,” Lambert replied.

“Good. We’ll bring her in between the Rhino and the Pilgrim, and do what we can to keep things clear for you.“

Lambert checked his gear one last time as marines began to file into the shuttle and take their seats. He was ready.

The relative silence of the standoff was abruptly broken by a blinding flash of light. It slowly faded, revealing the long shape of a Liberty Siege Cruiser alongside the Rhino. A pulse cannon along the ship’s spine fired, disabling the freighter’s shields in a single hit as grappling cables smashed into the hull, trapping the Rhino alongside the much larger ship.

The four marine demo teams were already in motion, suit thrusters carrying them across the short distance between the two ships. Access hatches began to blow open in quick succession, as the assault shuttles blasted out of the boat bay and closed the gap with astounding speed.

Lambert waited, feigning calmness for the men around him while silently struggling to suppress his nerves. So many things could go wrong…

His thoughts were interrupted by a shrill siren and a large red light illuminated near the hatch he sat next to. Moments later, the shuttle was rocked as it slammed into the access hatch, and motors whined as they worked to link the boarding hatch to the Rhino’s access hatch.

After several long heartbeats the red light disappeared, replaced by a green one indicating a good seal. Lambert moved immediately, rising from his seat and pushing through the hatch in a single fluid motion. His rifle was up in firing position as he crossed into the Rhino, but the three marines of the demo team were the only thing awaiting him on the other side.

Lambert paused a moment as a couple more marines followed him through the hatch into a small service bay. “Find the girl!” he yelled, and then moved deeper into the ship at a quick trot. He heard the sound of several other sets of boots following him towards the bridge, but he ignored them.

He ran recklessly through the interior of the ship, through a few small bays, and then he burst into the bridge, weapon at the ready. It was empty.

Polstari came back over the earpiece. “The Pilgrim is closing. I think it’s trying to board too!”

Lambert cursed under his breath. “Stop it from interfering. Don’t let it get too close!”

He glanced at the bridge’s main console. Sure enough, the Pilgrim seemed to be closing on them. He was already picking up at least one inbound boarding shuttle.

“Marines! Get guards at all the possible entrances on the port side!” he shouted over the comms. Then he turned to the three marines who had followed him here. “Stay here, and keep the bridge locked down.”

With that, he turned and ran back through the ship, headed back aft.

Moments later, Melnikov came over the comms. “Lambert, she’s here. Far aft bay, starboard side. She has the girl.” The marine sounded deflated, and perhaps a bit frustrated.

Lambert faltered for a moment. She has the girl again, already. We were just barely too slow…

He picked up the pace again though, sprinting back with renewed effort.

It wasn’t over yet.

He stopped when he saw a squad of marines, led by Melnikov, just inside a hatch to one of the main cargo bays. He stepped up behind them, looking around the bulky armor.

On the other side of the bay, Ruby held Pita in front of her, arm across the girl’s throat and a gun to her head. Time seemed to slow as Lambert watched Pita’s terror-filled eyes. She saw him, and he saw the flash of hope in her eyes, but the shot wasn’t there. Ruby was too obscured behind Pita.

Then he saw it, there was a small hatch on the far wall, out of Ruby’s line of sight. It was a service hatch, not easily noticeable. Lambert’s mind worked furiously, trying to remember the internal layout of the Rhino.

About fifty feet further down… to the… right… and then… service access… around the corner…

Yes, he would be able to find it. Melnikov stepped forward, gun lowered, as Lambert ducked out of the room and sprinted down the hall. He followed his mental map, whirled around the last corner, and pulled the service hatch open.

The universe slowed as he stepped into the bay, gun already raised. Cardamine-enhanced nerves steadied the assault rifle in his hands as he gazed through the sight. Ruby saw him then, and started to turn towards him, but for the moment she was still unprotected…

He didn’t think; he just pulled the trigger. The weapon fired three rounds so fast that the human ear couldn’t distinguish between the individual shots. They didn’t miss.

Lambert dropped the gun as he rushed forward, snatching the girl out of Ruby’s hands before her body had even hit the floor. Pita’s eyes had been shut – now she opened them in a deluge of tears. He had come for her, after all.

Lambert gathered the girl in his arms and straightened, seeing the surprised faces of the marines before him, and another person behind them…

Buster.

The marines followed his gaze, and then they saw him too. Four assault rifles were leveled at the Rogue standing in the hallway behind them.

Pita was the first to speak. “Wait… Buster…”

“You really do care for her, don’t you?” Buster asked, making no threatening move.

“Don’t you move, goddamn it!” Melnikov shouted, sidearm leveled at the Rogue.

Lambert frowned. By all accounts, he should let the marines shoot Buster and be done with it after all. And yet… Buster just might have been telling the truth all along. Certainly he had failed in some ways, but perhaps it had been done with good intentions.

He spoke, each word coming out evenly despite the turmoil of emotion in his gut. “Buster, I’d suggest you leave the ship now. I’m still willing to let you live.”

“Wait…” Pita said, holding a hand out towards the marines.

“Pita, honey. Is this truly what you want?” Buster asked, his concern evident on his face.

Pita nodded, still hugging Lambert’s armored chest.

Buster seemed to deflate visibly. “Alright James… you win.”

Another marine abruptly entered the room. “There he is! Bastard got two of the guards we had posted!”

Lambert’s hand shot out, stopping the marines from firing. “Buster, Pita wants to come with me, and she will. Marines, hold your fire.”

Melnikov whirled to face Lambert. “With all due respect, Lieutenant… you’re just gonna let him leave?”

Lambert gazed at Buster, trying to get a read on the man’s emotions. “Yes, he was looking out for the girl all along. A misguided, moronic attempt at helping her, but honest just the same.”

Melnikov scowled at Lambert, clearly upset with the decision. Then he turned back to Buster. “Get the hell off this ship!”

Buster still hesitated. “I want your word you’ll do everything in your power to protect her.”

Lambert nodded. “You have it. Now get going, before someone decides to itch their trigger finger.”

Buster started walking away, then turned back to Lambert. “If... she wants to ever... see me... don’t deny her of that.”

“We’ll see,” Lambert replied. Buster frowned and jogged off.

“We got more Hellfire inbound, this one looks to be a battleship!” Polstari cried out over the comms. “Get the hell out of there! There’s an evac shuttle waiting on the port side.”

“Right, we’re on our way.”

He motioned, and the marines followed him towards the shuttle. Melnikov followed, barking orders into his own earpiece.

They reached the evac shuttle after a quick jog, and all the other marines were already aboard or had already returned to the Shasta. They boarded and the small shuttle blasted away from the now derelict Rhino.

Lambert allowed himself a smile at last. Pita was finally safe. He reached up and pulled the earpiece out of his ear, confident in Polstari and Baker to get the task group home safely. When the shuttle reached the Shasta, he took Pita straight to the medbay, and stayed there at her side until they made it back to Liberty.