Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: For a friend's sake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It was afternoon in the main city of Manhattan, a clear, blue sky covering the above of the skyscrapers. The mild temperatures made the stay more comfortable than on space stations, creating an ideal day for the young, black haired woman to start searching for somebody she wanted to ask something since something must have happened. The day started at the central star port of Manhattan with her Onuris parked a bit hidden in the depth of the several hangars.

She knew that her search would last long but she didn't really care. After all, the girl named Carrie, the person she was searching for, was her friend. And in her understanding friends just don't split for an unknown reason. Having made a small plan about where Carrie might be working, especially in which building, the girl left the hangar with some hope, although, still affected by the things that happened back in time. The young woman wouldn't want to care about that right after she arrived, though. Things weren't going for her, this time. At least having been able to get a photo of the person she was searching, the chances couldn't be that bad, after all.
The girl's first visit was at a hotel not far from the space port. After all, the woman she was searching for was working in one of those hotels. Having packed a few snacks for the 'journey' through Manhattan's huge capital, she hoped not that high amount of time would be needed to find what she wanted. As she eventually arrived in the first hotel after not even ten minutes, the young woman stepped in and went for the reception.

"'Afternoon. I am currently searching for a friend of mine...but I don't really have her number anymore and...I just wanted to check if everything is alright, since I can't reach her.."

She told the man, who was sitting behind the desk at the entrance while showing him a picture of Carrie. The receptionist, who was seemingly busy with other stuff than trying to help a random person, just shook his head with an additional shrug.

"Thanks anyway.." The black haired girl said as she left the hotel again. She'd have a lot of other hotels to check. The list was long, about 150 of those were to check.

"One less.." Can be heard in a mumble of her, not having expected to find her friend that fast anyway. Her eyes ran up the piece of paper she was holding and crossed out the first word, having been the hotel she had just been inside. Next one...
The day slowly became night and the young woman still didn't find her friend. As expected, as one could say. The sun was already setting when the black haired girl stepped out of the 35th hotel she marked on her note, crossing it out like those she visited before. She sat down on a bench and sighed as she leaned on her palms with her elbows resting on the legs.

"Will I ever find her..?" The girl wondered and looked at the sunset that was visible through the gaps between the huge buildings of the city. One more, she thought. Just one. After that it would be done for the day. But instead of really doing so, she resumed her search in the depths of the capital until the time eventually ended up flying away. Almost midnight, the girl searched for a place to rest and walked into a building in which a hotel was being located as well. One rest over the night in one of those rooms and the next day would begin as early as possible. The young woman checked in and went for her room. Maybe she would have more luck the next day...

Days went by and the more hotels got crossed away on her list. Most likely it was lowering her motivation to move on to the next, each time she crossed one off. But the drive was there, wanting to find that person she considered a friend. Someone she had met with a simple race, someone who seemed to indulge her into wanting to get to know this person better.

Carrie locked the door of her apartment, seeing the sun wasn't hadn't yet reached the horizon even though it was already brightening up the sky, giving it a nice glow. With her bag over her shoulder she headed out for a walk, her work wasn't far away from where she lived, just a few minutes of walking. Maybe the job wasn't the most well paid, or anything like she had used to do, but she didn't mind. Colleagues were more important than the job itself.

While she walked the birds cheered her up more, listening to their whistles from the trees alongside the path she was walking. Not even the vehicles that passed once in a while disturbed her. Allowing her to reach work with a pleasant smile, greeting the ones that were already there early.

Preparing the coffee for everyone was the first thing she did every morning. Those that had to travel over a longer distance having a warm welcome with a fresh cup of coffee. Something that always amused her was when she saw the tired morning expressions of those coming to work.

But this time she noticed something different on the face of Patricia, when she came in. The normally always early colleague was late today and Carrie couldn't recall that ever having happened before. It soon lead to a few questions that Patricia only dodged. Using answers like 'just tired' and so on. Although Carrie didn't buy it fully, guessing something else was going on.

The rest of the day moved on quietly just like any other. Jokes made every now and then but some seemed to be cut off quicker by Patricia, giving Carrie more reasons to be paranoid about her. But she couldn't tell if it was just her caring too much or if there really was something wrong.

The evening confirmed it to Carrie that something was indeed not right. Patricia having held her mouth shut the whole day about it up until a few minutes before Carrie would be heading home. Patricia walked up to Carrie's desk just when she was picking up her jacket.

"Carrie, can we talk?" Patricia asked carefully, knowing she would most likely help the smile disappear from face.
"Sure" Carrie replied bright, but the smile she had indeed did disappear, as the tone of Patricia wasn't in anyway sounding like she had positive news.
"Could you walk with me to security? There is something I want you to see." Patricia asked.
"Okay?" Carrie asked, her mind getting flooded with questions but she knew better than to ask them straight away. Having a few guesses on what it could be about. Although she was hoping, and near praying she was wrong.

Once they arrived at security it all became move obvious. Carrie was shown a recording of the lobby, from the day before. Someone walking up to the counter to ask one of the staff members of the hotel about some girl, Carrie in this case. The picture matching that of her. As instructed the person who was asked the question about where to find Carrie has simply said she had never seen the girl (Carrie) before.

It didn't take Carrie long to recognize who was asking about her. Christina that racer, or at least that's what she seemed to be. Carrie however had all sorts of paranoid thoughts about Christina. The texts and way they had been written to her had given her enough reason not to trust Christina. And now that she had been at her own working place she got more upset, and scared. But Carrie wanted the uncertainty to end, and now that it all seemed to have gotten this close she wanted to make sure it was also done right. So she, together with security of the hotel made up a plan to have things cleared up, and hopefully cleaned up as well.

| To: Christina
| From: Carrie
| Subject: Can we meet?
|
| Hey Chris,
|
| Sorry that I ignored you messages of earlier.
| I got too caught up in work to actually remind myself to return a text.
|
| But what would you say about us meeting tomorrow morning somewhere?
| Have breakfast or something? I think I can be allowed to come a few hours later at work.
|
| Love to hear from you soon!
|
| - Carrie

With the text finished it was now just a matter of waiting. Wondering if Christina would even take the bait and if it wasn't too transparent.

A new day of hope. This time she would have time the whole day. From the morning into the night. She would surely find Carrie in that time. Were the thoughts of Christina, which cheered her up quite much. Feeling like no longer really chasing a shadow, the girl started over again with her search. A neat breakfast would be all she needed to start well enough into the day.

As the time passed already and the clock reached afternoon, the enthusiasm of the young woman started to get doubts shot through her head, Having searched for days and days already. Even if the confidence was still there, it was noticeable already that it was slowly fading away already. When the small pointer reached 5 pm, she sat down on a bench again, thinking as she crossed out the 124th hotel on the list.

Not many minutes after that she took out her PDA of her pocket and saw a new message saved in the mailbox. Facepalming to herself as she didn't control the messages on it the whole day, Christina opened it and raised an eyebrow. Not having expected to receive a message from Carrie herself, the girl draw a brief smirk and immediately replied, although, wondering why Carrie sent the message right when Christina was searching for her.

------------------------------------------------------------

| To: Carrie
| From: Christina
| Subject: Re: Can we meet?
|
| Awesome to hear from you, Carrie.
|
| And of course. Sorry for the delay though...If you want we can still meet | somewhere? Or just tomorrow?
| As it fits for you, I guess?
| Anyway, I let you the choice of a comfortable place, since you're living a | bit longer here already.
|
| See you later then! Can't wait...
|
| -Christina

| To: Christina
| From: Carrie
| Subject: Re:Re: Can we meet?
|
| Hello again Chris,
|
| There is a place I know, which has nice breakfast, like the perfect baked eggs and tea.
| The address is added in the attachment of the message.
|
| If you could make it tomorrow morning at say, nine? If not perhaps the day after.
| But I'll only have time in the mornings really.
|
| Hope the dates are not a problem.
|
| - Carrie

Carrie felt only more nervous about the contact with Christina. Wondering if her feelings were right of if she was simply paranoid. Just hoping her feelings were wrong about it all and that is was something harmless. Even though there were enough clues for her to be right about it.

The rest of the working day went slow for her. Being caught in memories that resurfaced by the series of events. Wishing she could push them away again as she has used to do by now. No one seemed to mind her slow progress in actually doing her work. Which is why she loved this place.

| To: Carrie
| From: Christina
| Subject: Re: Re: Re: Can we meet?
|
| Hey,
|
| works fine for me. I'll be there in the morning, tomorrow.
| Can't wait!
|
| Tomorrow then..
|
| -Christina

Christina felt happy for once again, realizing she actually could have reached one of her goals. Smiling to herself after she sent the message, the girl went for the same hotel again she used as place to sleep before. Immediately going to sleep after the girl was in the room she rented for a night, it didn't take her long to fall asleep, no negative thoughts in her head for that time, too excited she would eventually meet Carrie the next day.

The night passed quite fast, ending as the clock of Christina started to beep. Having set the timer to around 7 am, the girl got up rather fast and dressed herself with something else than her flight suit, being red shirt with a jacket over it and a pairs of jeans. After she styled herself up a little, Christina grabbed all her bag and left the room. Using a taxi after having left the hotel to get to the coordinates Carrie sent her, she found herself feeling a bit excited as she didn't know what Carrie's story really was. As the taxi reached it's destination, she paid the driver and left the car, standing in front of the 'marked' place.