Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Vampire in Space!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
EDIT:: Please read this thread before posting learn what has been discussed and from there make an opinion. Don't just judge based on title (as I can understand how it would sound pretty stupid)

I love the vampires and I love space, put them together and what do you get!? A pretty lame movie called "blood suckers" actually.... Beyond that though, I think this concept could be a lot of fun in Discovery!

Kind of like the wraith in Star Gate are rather "vampiric", the concept is not a new one. I would however propose that the vampires started within this game could be a bit more traditional in nature. Excluding the bursting into flames thing from the sun and the only coming out at night thing as that wouldn't work well in space.

Explanation on how these "vampires" came into being will be the RP of one of my characters, should this idea not get shot down by everyone who reads it.

So, let the tale begin.

Some of the wealthy and powerful from the Royal and Business classes of Bretonia put a great amount of funding into into a project to prolong their life through use of gene manipulation. Scientists on the project discovered a predatory creature with incredible regenerative abilities on a remote planet in the outer rim. Using the DNA of these predators in combination with viral gene manipulation they attempted to harness this ability for use of their clients.

Many subjects were tested and most going crazy and dieing shortly after exposure... their minds and bodies to fragile and incapable for merging with the alien DNA. So the gene manipulation had to go farther. The subject would not only have to be implanted with just regenerative abilities but increased physical and mental prowess as well to be able to withstand the process.

One of the investors in the project a Bretonia Count, old and on his death bed, requested to be given the enhanced treatment immediately. The scientists refused to grant the Count his request, saying that the possible side effects and spreading of the viral agent used in treatment had not yet been resolved.

This mattered little to the Count who feared death beyond anything else. Sending the most trusted men at his command he had the viral treatment stolen and the scientists responsible for its creation killed for their refusal. The ship they were conducting their research on was set to self destruct to destroy all evidence.

His physician accompanied by the Counts personal staff assisted the Count in injected the viral agent. His quarters aboard his massive ship were silent as the process took place. Immediately he went into violent convulsions screaming as his body contorted. His staff rushed to try and help him though had no clue how. They attempted in vain to inject him with sedatives to lower his heart rate which was off the charts. Suddenly, as quickly as the fit had come on it stopped. Franticly checking his pulse his physician shook his headthe Count was dead. His staff, having known their lord was near death, already had a coffin prepared with in a room located at the stern of the Counts ship.

On the return trip back to Bretonia space two guards at standing watch over the door to where the counts body was being transported heard a loud a grinding noise and then a thud. Quickly opening the door, atop the marble table at the back of the room they found someone sitting in the counts coffin! A young man of about mid twenties, black hair, pale yet strong looking had a huge smile on his face showing his canine teeth which looked very over pronounced.

The first guard into the room raised his weapon, Who are you! And what have you done with the body of his Lordship!? The man seemed to be paying little mind staring at his hands and body. Speak you fool! the guard said again cocking his weapon. Slowly turning his head the man said with a somewhat mocking tone, your Lordship is who you are aiming that gun at, fool The last word was emphasized with a sneer. leaping from the coffin at a speed which seemed to astonish even himself he landed gracefully on the floor.

The suddenness of the mans movement startled the second guard who was already on edge from the whole situation. Shouting in alarm he fired his weapon hitting the man in the stomach and shoulder knocking him back into the coffin behind him toppling it to the floor off the table. The man lay their for only a second before rising from the floor in an unnatural manner and lunging at the guard who had fired, grabbing him by the throat before he could react. Without looking away from his target he pushed accompanying guard with such force he flew across the room, his weapon clattering across the floor out of reach. With an animal like growl he bit into his captive mans throat violently. The guard that had be knocked away watched as the man he had known for years slowly became more pale until he was ashen white. The inhuman being then dropped him lifeless to the ground, only a small trickle of blood came from the wound at his neck.

The guard stared in shock as the man from the coffin turned to him, no sign that he had been shot beyond the holes in his shirt. "Well then, I see these instincts are going to take some getting used to.." the man said more to himself than anyone. He started to move to the door, stopping for a second and turning to the guard he ordered, "clean this up will you?". The guard didn't move still in shock. A look of impatience came over his face "The pig deserved worse for firing on his Lord who he was sworn to protect" motioning to the body on the ground "oh, and get rid of that coffin as well" with a smile he finished "I don't think I shall be dieing again anytime soon."

Well there you have it, thank you for reading this! (haven't thought of a good name for the Count yet hence it not being mentioned in the story)

So an overview of what it means to be a vampire.

- The way I see this working is that this character I am creating will be the first, if you wish to become one you will have to talk to him in game. He will have a {V} or something like it at the end of his name.

- Anyone can become a vampire if they request it from one already existing and they decide to Sire them (through a process of allowing them to drink the vampires blood and become infected with the gene altering virus all vampires will carry).

** You can not just put a {V} at the end of your name and play a vampire you must be sired!!!**

The {V} goes at the end of the name because these people can be a part of any faction (provided the faction wants a vampire in its ranks) and RP it as a vampire.

** Being a vampire is not becoming a part of a faction merely adding RP to one of your character.**
(though granted there could be comradery between those infected, they might also see the other as a rival)

What are the powers / drawbacks of vampirism?

- Being a vampire your character becomes stronger, immortal, increased senses, and has various powers associated with an improved mind such as telepathy. The only way to kill a vampire is to stake it through the heart so that it can't regenerate as the object is in the way. Given time the body will die. Beheading also works.

- Vampires do not like to leave their ships which are outfitted to provide a dim light environment. The gene alteration had the side effect of causing the vampires to have very sensitive eyes to light as well as skin. Exposure to direct sun light will not "burn a vampire up" but will cause a sever sun burn equivalent to 2nd degree then 1st burns from over exposure, and if left in the sun long enough, eventual death.

- Vampires have to consume blood as their body can no longer digest solid food and a high protein diet is required for their fast metabolism. Feeding on people is not the choice of all once they become more controlled, but in the beginning the instincts brought on by the mixing of the predator DNA almost always over power. (having people to "feed" on in your cargo is not abnormal for a vampire)

Vampire politics

- I am thinking that if there is enough vampires there could be different houses for the different areas of Sirius. You would be in the same House as the vampire that sired you. This would set your ZoI. Where the politics of these houses go is up to the game play! If vampires make it this far this could be the birth of a faction. Its relation with all of Sirius would be shaped over time and game play.

- At first any Tag and IFF is fine to be while being a Vampire but as the story of these people evolves so will that.

Please give feedback to this idea! However, do not flame if you can hold yourself back from it. These are just ideas to be thrown around and I myself think them to be pretty decent!

Cheers,
Does anyone know whatever happened to the Inquisition?
Sounds more like something that would result from Outcast military experiments than something from Bretonia. Cardamine is already known to cause increased lifespan and improved reflexes, as well as actual genetic changes.
Call me narrow minded, but I think the vampires, werewolves, and brain-sucking zombies need to stay in fantasy genres and out of space.
' Wrote:Call me narrow minded, but I think the vampires, werewolves, and brain-sucking zombies need to stay in fantasy genres and out of space.

I would agree with you there.
I'm a huge fan of Vampire mythology, & I love the whole vampire mafia thing that 'The Masquerade' started.

That being said, I wouldn't play one myself, because I don't think they belong in the FL'er Universe.

I just can't picture a vamp spending alot of its time confined in the cockpit of a ship...seems like a waste of power for an immortal.

Good luck with it though:)
' Wrote:That being said, I wouldn't play one myself, because I don't think they belong in the FL'er Universe.

I'd agree with you there. If you were to go ahead with it, though (and stay within the confines of FL), you'd have to strip it down to the basics and maybe head off in a somewhat new direction. I'd say that a good base would be Outcast super-soldier gone rogue. Some sort of military experiment involving a genetically manipulated strain of Cardamine. Possibly cannibalistic (terror weapon, perhaps?), somewhat volatile, and very dangerous.
' Wrote:Call me narrow minded, but I think the vampires, werewolves, and brain-sucking zombies need to stay in fantasy genres and out of space.

Well you don't have to play one, I just think there could be enough people who might want to. As described these aren't vampires made from demons nor are they the "undead". There is a Science based explanation for them, this is just something that can be add to the RP of Discovery. haha Tenacity you are always smacking around my ideas... not sure if you like the in game clock one. Seems to be going ahead and will be in the game soon though!

' Wrote:Sounds more like something that would result from Outcast military experiments than something from Bretonia. Cardamine is already known to cause increased lifespan and improved reflexes, as well as actual genetic changes.

That is some good thought process! Probably could be worked into the story!

' Wrote:I'm a huge fan of Vampire mythology, & I love the whole vampire mafia thing that 'The Masquerade' started.

That being said, I wouldn't play one myself, because I don't think they belong in the FL'er Universe.

I just can't picture a vamp spending alot of its time confined in the cockpit of a ship...seems like a waste of power for an immortal.

Good luck with it though:)

Well I did state that for them their ship is the safest place to be as it offers them a protection from a possible hostile environment. The more powerful ones would have a larger ship to command and possibly a financial empire to control. Plus its not like they cant land on planets or space stations ever / have homes there.

Please don't bandwagon bash this idea without thinking through its RP possibilities. (not that I'm saying you are) just please read it what i have written before you just go for the jugular of this concept.:P
basically ultraviolet in space right
' Wrote:basically ultraviolet in space right

Yes i hadn't even thought of it, but that is a good comparison.
Pages: 1 2 3