Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Stop taking CDs off ships
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(02-24-2013, 08:19 AM)Markus_Janus Wrote: [ -> ]CD's are a tactial weapon that I really like on all ships, they are good for stopping others, retreating and covering retreats, not sure why you would build a ship without them.
same goes for CMs

answer is: this game/mod tries to balance classes against each other. a battleship with CDs would make cruisers less useful, a transport with CMs would make piracy more difficult, etc. Or in this case, freighters with CDs would make junior gunboats that were potentially too effective against fighters and bombers.
A freighter would never be more effective against snubs than a gunboat. Gunboats have more firepower and infinitely more accuracy.

A very, very skilled freighter pilot can take out one fighter or bomber alone. But he certainly wouldn't replace a gunboat.

As for small battle transports, those don't replace gunboats either.

Let's compare gunboats to the smaller transports:

Gunboats: 4x shield (small transports have small core, can't use big shield)
Gunboats: 2-3x hull
Gunboats: 2-4x firepower (depending on which small transport and which guns)
Gunboats: 1-2.5x projectile speed (depending on which guns are being compared)
Gunboats: Smaller or same size, sometimes slightly bigger, depending on the gunboat or smaller transport
Gunboats: Same speed as smaller transports

A very good transport pilot, such as myself, can take on a pair of snubs, sure. But they will never be anywhere near as effective as the same skilled pilot in a gunboat. Transports won't be OP, even if you give them CD's. The role of the gunboat is irreplaceable. You can simulate it with a transport or freighter like I often do, but you can't do their job as well as they do.

Am I complaining? No. I'm saying their combat balance is exactly the way it should be. Giving CD's back to the freighters and transports wouldn't take gunboats out of the game, it would just give skilled freighter/transport pilots a chance at having a little extra fun.
You use a lot of words to miss the point: a snub can run away from a gunboat but cant run away from a freighter. A camara with 6 turrets can delete barghests all day long and nothing can be done to stop it.
If a freaking CRUISER can have a CD, then surely all the transports can mount a CD.
(02-24-2013, 07:46 PM)Ursus Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2013, 08:19 AM)Markus_Janus Wrote: [ -> ]CD's are a tactial weapon that I really like on all ships, they are good for stopping others, retreating and covering retreats, not sure why you would build a ship without them.
same goes for CMs

answer is: this game/mod tries to balance classes against each other. a battleship with CDs would make cruisers less useful, a transport with CMs would make piracy more difficult, etc. Or in this case, freighters with CDs would make junior gunboats that were potentially too effective against fighters and bombers.

I agree with Ursus, its really on a case by case basis, I cant condone more or less CDs just generallly, each ship has to be balanced individually.
I am not arguing against the necessity of balance. What I don't understand is the conscious decision to remove the CDs from certain ships. It is a metaphorical "f-you" to the people who like transports.
A freighter can kill a snub. What are you saying???
(02-24-2013, 10:18 PM)Ingenious Wrote: [ -> ]I am not arguing against the necessity of balance. What I don't understand is the conscious decision to remove the CDs from certain ships. It is a metaphorical "f-you" to the people who like transports.
It's the nature of the game/mod. Devs control every little thing here, from faction diplomacy to ship features (well, except for bases anyway).

I've had an itch for a while to make a mod based on an old sprite-based space sim called Escape Velocity, where you buy a hull and then load up what you want onto it. Like, you buy a Corsair cruiser chassis, and either install a small engine with a couple of guns and use it for trade ship, or you buy big guns and have to install a big engine and then you have no room for cargo anymore. That is what you're pining for. Disco aint it, everyhthing is tightly controlled here.
(02-24-2013, 10:24 PM)Ursus Wrote: [ -> ], or you buy big guns and have to install a big engine and then you have no room for cargo anymore.

Don't we already have a system where guns take up cargo?
I'd say give transport quad CM Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5