Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Why is the community population declining?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Server just became lolwut friendly...just /1 /2 /3 uncloak and fire, and worst thing, that they dont want to improve themself.
Some RP? No...no need it.

You dont even want to RP, because all what you are doing will be ignore/not understood, so that also makes very good players and RPers to leav.
Honestly? Id leave before 2013. Why I havent? Because I value all I did here more. Why should I leave if I have so much stuff to do with my chars and ships? I still have some friends around who I like. I still have plans for some things in future.
I wont rage quit just because there is lolwuts and noobs all over the place and those who dont care for RP. Why should I leave just because they exist here? Dont care about them, do your own stuff, chat with your friends and do some PvP.

this message mainly to those who ragequits after got problems with stuff around here. RL is much different theme...
And as bein said - game becomes older and older. why bother play here when there is more new and cool games?
It's good that you still enjoy the game JayDee and you're right there is still plenty to do if you like PvP or have a group of friends to fly with. The trouble for me is I prefer not to fly with friends all the time, I like the random encounters with people, being stopped by police or fast-talking my way out of piracy and I happily deal with the consequences which usually leads me to being blown up. Recently there has been far less interesting people to run into and those I do meet are far more concerned with getting money or a kill than talking with me.
There are other characters I could create but I really like playing as a smuggler, a rare breed now and I'd prefer to continue playing as one but as it is now there's not much fun in it.
(03-06-2013, 04:14 PM)Croft Wrote: [ -> ]but as it is now there's not much fun in [roleplaying a smuggler].

How come? I do know there is a huge profit margin. Do lawfuls see contraband as an excuse to blow you up? Or do you simply not encounter anybody?
Blodo: You accuse me of pulling stuff out of my backside. I counter that with your constant zelotry of anything hessian.

You know full well theres nothing corporate pilots can get ahold of that can actually enable them to survive a fight with anything pirates can get.

A corporate pilot should not have to spend 250 million just to have a chance to not die against a 60 million gunboat. (assuming 100 for the hull, 150 for the cloak)

The problem, and why the population is declining, is simple and my point infact does correlate to this trend, and its one that has been echoed through each update, with the pirate tech getting another advantage, and the house corps getting nothing to compensate.

Battletransports were designed to have the firepower to be able to defend themselves, according to the entire point. Then why is it that a single pirate ship of anything not a LF can quite handily wreck them?

Corporattions should not have to spend 6x the amount a pirate will in order to be on equal footing. Currently, aside from a cloak, theres just nothing that puts them on any kind of equal footing, with cloaking cruisers and transports being nigh unkillable by corporations.

I dont consider needing 6-7 heavily armored ships to take on a single pirate player (still losing some, despite) as a benefit to the community as a whole.

People come here, and they see that anything they can get within a reasonable frame of time pretty much demands they behave like a simpring coward or die. People do not like to have a guarenteed failure upon contact.

Seeing as how the dev team proclaims traders are the lifeblood of the ecomony, one would think more variation in guns and ships would crop up. But patch after patch this "lifeblood" has been ignored. New guys are just swamped with stupidity and the cards stacked against them. Longtime veterans have to grind boring as hell trade runs to have a chance to roleplay what they intend. Not to mention most lawful stuff is somehow MORE EXPENSIVE than the pirate equivilent, which is in many cases superior.

Given the trend established with each patch, its not hard to see why people are becoming annoyed.
I've been lurking around for about a week or so, just checking up on Discovery to see what has changed. This is what I've found.

1. Loneliness - Discovery seems to be exceptionally lonely, the unofficial and official groups are fewer and farther than 4.85, for example. People have no incentive to join official factions or hang around with groups, but equally, the official factions can't really be given proper advantages because it's unfair to the indies.
A situation not unlike what I've encountered: What if only the IMG| official faction are really active in the Taus, but I want to play an active Maquis in that region, I'll be hard pressed to find anyone to play with, I'll be even harder pressed to find anyone playing a Maquis.

2. Tediousness - Discovery can be really dragged out and boring. You have to trade to get any money to get any good toys, but on the other hand, making it easier to make money means less traders so the pirates won't pirate and the police and military need not do their jobs so much anymore.
It can take a long time to fly somewhere, and if I wanted to pirate a tradelane, I could find myself waiting for a long time before anyone showed up, why spend my valuable free time sitting around doing nothing?
Combat seems to suffer from this, capital ship fights last minutes, sometimes even seconds, but fighter combat lasts a long time, up to hours. Yes. Hours. A good dogfight can last more than the duration of theatrical movie. The first few minutes are fun, the next few are okay, the next few are sort of lame, and past the half hour mark, it's just a matter of player stamina and patience, less about skill, if both sides last that long. I love fighter combat, but it can get mighty boring.

3. Imbalance - A lot of the ships and guns on Discovery are very imbalanced, this is a roleplaying community, and yet a large portion of the game is PvP based, Sirius is a place ravaged by violence and war. This means that roleplay is heavily influenced by PvP performance. Why would I play a Bundschuh character when I'd be restricting myself to a Sabre and a couple of substandard faction guns?
Sure, It'd be true RP, but there aren't a lot of Bundschuh players about, are there? Why play a Bundschuh when I can play a Red Hessian, with a whole line of ships, including capitals, very good guns, and a wider ZoI?
"Oh, the Bundschuh can use other tech on the chart at yellow and green?" Not good enough, my powerplant would be nerfed, meaning I lose the PvP edge. Why go for 75% or 90% plant when I can go for 100%?
The current tech nerf system, and ship and weapon balance restricts and chokes RP. You pretty much choose if you want RP performance or PvP performance. Which isn't good. It shouldn't be this divided.

4. A Lack of Life - Discovery during 4.85, when I used to play, even towards the end was full of life, Liberty Rogues taunted Outcasts over Comms about stray capital ships, the SCRA was run by a confident Katz, the [LN] and [RM] fought in Texas and Hamburg, the Zoners were in external and internal conflicts, the Outcasts and Corsairs actually fought each other, the Iseijin stalked and the Order hunted. And these are just a few examples of what I remember. Discovery seems to lack this sort of spirit. It's like 4.86 was released and everyone was content with mediocrity.

This is just external observations I've made, from reading the forums and seeing what I have seen in game. Discovery seems to be duller, and less RP-oriented, as stupid as that sounds.

On a brighter note, the Administration team seems to be the best ever, good job on that, and SRP is open again which is awesome.

Thanks for your time.
(02-27-2013, 08:31 AM)Ingenious Wrote: [ -> ]What can we change to reverse this trend? Why are people leaving?

We all know why, and sadly there is nothing to be done about them.

EDIT: Jesus, I been unbanned a month and this is the third post I've posted in this place... I just really don't want to come back to Disco's current state.
(03-07-2013, 04:24 AM)The Creature Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2013, 08:31 AM)Ingenious Wrote: [ -> ]What can we change to reverse this trend? Why are people leaving?

We all know why, and sadly there is nothing to be done about them.

EDIT: Jesus, I been unbanned a month and this is the third post I've posted in this place... I just really don't want to come back to Disco's current state.

You know, actually, I took an extended break cause I lost interest in the game and there were a lot of asshats (myself included?) Anyhow I have returned to find the community less populous and perhaps missing that spark or life-blood from before, but there are definitely fewer asshats. So now people just need to get excited about their roleplay again.
Quote:So now people just need to get excited about their roleplay again.
Wise words you say there.

Even, there are lots of ppl who just immunent for RP interaction, as soon server has at least some players who wish to RP, it's worth to play here.
Disco is a relaxed RP server.
Hardcore RP fans we had have left for more RP orientated servers, while the casual crowd cannot be bothered with all of the RP BS.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22