Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Why is the community population declining?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
There are alot of variables why people frankly don't play anymore.

Some of the biggest ones are:

1. Freelancer is an old game and people are having a harder time acquiring it (legally) due to a lack of production.

2. Many feel that Discovery/Freelancer is becomming Noob-Unfriendly and feel as if it's a waste of time.

3. Some cite that a lack of Dev-Factional Cooporation makes the game unplayable and too tightly controlled by the Developers, making people lose faith that they can change anything in the mod for good or worse and just leave.

4. Real Life, this is a big one, years ago alot of people here were in College or Highschool, now the troubles of life are catching up and they have to spend less and less time on the computer and more in the real world dealing with stuff like bills and other important items.

5. People also feel that the game has become 'stale' and boring, that nothing interesting can come of this mod now and that it's time to move on to another game/mod.

Those are some of the reasons I've gotten. *shrug* All in all, yes people are leaving slowly, but it's simply a part of life itself, we can either adapt or do nothing and wither away.
Pretty much my points exactly, I think if we were able to either 1. attract a new generation of players or 2. get some of the old ones back, that would go along way.
to do that we need to fix 3 , 4 and 5 .
changing 4 might be a tough one.
(02-27-2013, 08:51 AM)onca Wrote: [ -> ]Freelancer is a 10 year old game... holy smokes, there might be players younger than Freelancer.

Anyway all that attrition adds up. But there will always be diehards. *shrugs*

OMG That's crazy! I can't imagine any post-2000 finding freelancer fun (then again I'm not a very imaginative person)

(03-15-2013, 01:28 AM)Dirk Danger Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty much my points exactly, I think if we were able to either 1. attract a new generation of players or 2. get some of the old ones back, that would go along way.

Gameplay videos- machinima, add some drama, capture RP footage then add voice acting, the community is talented as hell when it comes to writing those RP stories and in-RP acting, let's make a script, get a bunch of ships and some camera ships, 50 1080p computers with dxtory/fraps and a good epic soundtrack, I'm psyched!!! Anyone else?
(03-13-2013, 11:46 PM)ProwlerPC Wrote: [ -> ]Camtheman is on a permanant ban for in-game cheating not for being a loud tool.
Funnily enough it was actually both of those things at the same time.
(03-15-2013, 12:17 AM)Tabris Wrote: [ -> ]There are alot of variables why people frankly don't play anymore.

Some of the biggest ones are:

I would add:

6. Many people waited for new features of 86 and where disappointed, because things changed for the worse. I myself would be playing alot more if we magically went back to 85.

7. Focus is moving slowly but surely from RP to PVP. Many things that are outright pvp abuse are allowed now. If person is tip-toeing on the rules borderline, Admins are not willing to do anything about him. Its not rules that are wrong. Spirit in which they are uphold is.
(02-27-2013, 08:31 AM)Ingenious Wrote: [ -> ]What can we change to reverse this trend? Why are people leaving?

Turn the servuh on? >_>

P.S.Me and Ichiru are working on new FL engine. Could you put on some stuff like cleverly polished wishlist?
P.P.S. Coders (expecially C#\OpenGL 4) r welcome :]
(03-15-2013, 06:24 AM)utrack Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2013, 08:31 AM)Ingenious Wrote: [ -> ]What can we change to reverse this trend? Why are people leaving?

Turn the servuh on? >_>

P.S.Me and Ichiru are working on new FL engine. Could you put on some stuff like cleverly polished wishlist?
P.P.S. Coders (expecially C#\OpenGL 4) r welcome :]

Oi! I specifically said OpenGL 2.1. Half the community can't even get OpenGL 3
Well 1 big reason now will be the DDOS attacks. Many cannot get on, so they will go elsewhere, and decide not to come back.
(03-15-2013, 08:55 PM)ryoken Wrote: [ -> ]Well 1 big reason now will be the DDOS attacks. Many cannot get on, so they will go elsewhere, and decide not to come back.

Yes, that is really unfortunate. I honestly wonder who is behind it. That is probably the 1 thing we have no control over, at this point-- a compulsive and malicious outsider.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22