Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Separate ship class for cloaking devices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Indeed. I think we had our fair share of topics, which mention that not every ship, especially when it comes to bombers and capital ships, handle cloaking devices equally well, not to mention that there are ships, which can use cloaks to their full extent, but can cause oorp situations if used (Zoner CloakWhale alts for RM and LN).

So, perhaps it is time to add a completely new class of ship? Now, there are two ideas how I think this can be done.

We can either add a generic ''Stealth'' ship for the peeps to use, mostly regarding snubs and transports. What this translates to is a simple generic ship with improved cargo space. Though, no, I don't really know about this one...it sounded better in my head.

OR! We make a new shipclass for each major faction. This could be...harder than it sounds. Every faction receiving its own type of Stealth Fighter, Stealth Bomber, Stealth Transport, Stealth cap. That is a LOT of work. Not to mention it would bring up the argument which factions get these and which do not.

Again, one of those ideas which could be made, but which brings more problems than the original concept. Go figure.

Just some thoughts of mine, move along.
The stealth ship line would be far to over powered. Are you saying then they have built in cloaks?
Bugger that, want a cloak, buy one.

No, to have the max amount of cargo space and an adjusted firepower to be able to cloak. Half of the factions, if they do not have a heavy bomber, cannot use the cloak because of the cargo size. And the Rogues, by the way, cannot use them on barghests because its cargo hold is too LARGE.

8|
I agree, it seems rather odd that all of a sudden even the most duct-taped ship of the Xenos can use a cloak. That special sort of ship class might be useful, but, crap ton of work.
we have been brainstorming for a fairer mechanic for stealth duration. - it is likely it ll get revised on the ships that are capable of cloaking. ( concerning ships like the barghest that has too much cargo to make use of a cloak right now )
(03-18-2013, 08:58 AM)SMGSterlin Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, it seems rather odd that all of a sudden even the most duct-taped ship of the Xenos can use a cloak.

Cloaks have been around in mass use since Starlancer days...
...they're not THAT 'advanced,' we as player just haven't had actual access to them ingame.
(03-18-2013, 11:12 AM)Veygaar Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-18-2013, 08:58 AM)SMGSterlin Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, it seems rather odd that all of a sudden even the most duct-taped ship of the Xenos can use a cloak.

Cloaks have been around in mass use since Starlancer days...
...they're not THAT 'advanced,' we as player just haven't had actual access to them ingame.

Freelancer cloaks!=starlancer cloaks. Imagine the old ones working on special fuel not found in sirius. Or simpler than that freelancer cannon overrides old one. In freelancer story it was stated that prenomad war there were cloaking experiments, but they required BS core to hide fighter. All story cloaks are of nomad origin therefore cannot be easily reproduced.

On the idea: HELL YES!
2-3 ships with cloak slot for each of 6 houses, order and noms and several universal. Don't even make new modals: just different stats on existing models.(reduced core/gun count, reduced regens, because cloaks are hit and run, etc.) Balancing will be alot easier for 20 ships that are intended to be cloaked rather than 100 balanced without cloak.

EDIT: also, nomads should be able to mount and use cloak without penalties.
(03-18-2013, 11:29 AM)Oorn Wrote: [ -> ]All story cloaks are of nomad origin therefore cannot be easily reproduced.

Eh... incorrect.
I think...

It's easier to change the three different cloaking devices than to introduce new ships specifically for use with cloaks. I'm not going to come in with a brand new idea and assume I'm better than Jinx and co. 'brainstorming,' because it's obviously not an easy decision to come upon. I think basing it on cargo space is inherently flawed, especially when you do introduce things like Zoner Whales and large transports that could essentially stay cloaked for a long time and act as spy ships. But a different system... well. I don't see how else it would work.
Pages: 1 2