Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Dreaded "Do Sairs Need Guns" Argument, Hosted by Rodnas & Silver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Basically a "all your gunnery needs wrapped into one blaster" type of gun that invites 5 Tizonas, 1 missile and that blaster as a ship setup? Interesting thought. We'll see what Blodo/Aerelm think of it.
(05-23-2013, 05:35 PM)SeaFalcon Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2013, 05:04 PM)aerelm Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry but it's not our responsibility to give people more and more toys of their own just because they decide not to play with anything else. Times change, and so do people. Just because there's a rumor somewhere saying how 600 years ago Corsairs didn't use anything but Salas, doesn't mean that's still the case nowadays. Corsairs don't need new guns, they just need a more flexible roleplay.

To be fair this looks pretty lame. Not talking about corsairs but in general.

Discovery should be build around the factions not factions trying to crumb themselves down into discovery themselves. (Edit: Talking about Lore factions here.) Considering the shouts of how this server and mod is based on Role play. Why would balance issues have to be -only- focused on just that.

Sure it's not impossible to fly a Corsair, and they do have more than enough choices when it comes to how they can set up their vessels.

However to say that it's not your job to give people toys is pretty sad.

- Again, balance, development and story making should be formed around factions and to encourage role play. Not just "everybody equal chances".

This might was missed but I'd like to quote this one more time since it's a good opinion. Think about it.
(05-23-2013, 07:34 PM)Karst Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a crazy idea: What if they get a torpedo that, instead of a very slow single shot weapon like MR or Inferno, is a burst fire weapon with 4.00 or more refire rate and decent projectile speed?

I've always wanted to see a gun like that.

(05-23-2013, 07:43 PM)AeternusDoleo Wrote: [ -> ]Basically a "all your gunnery needs wrapped into one blaster" type of gun that invites 5 Tizonas, 1 missile and that blaster as a ship setup? Interesting thought. We'll see what Blodo/Aerelm think of it.

And I have just the idea for it! I found an old message from Feb 22 2012 where I had a thought like this as well. Maybe it will come in handy now.

Numbers are of course completely arbitrary and can be altered to suit whatever concept is or isn't decided upon or comes out of this all (or not).

Oh, and it was an rp message connected to some long term Benitez rp - just to avoid confusion Wink

Valeria_Benitez,Feb 22 2012, 03:57 PM Wrote:[Image: 200px-Flag-corsairs_simple.png]

Fellow Corsairs,

After consulting with our leading scientists onboard the Penelope, we have come to the conclusion that it might be possible to develop a new weapon for the corsair empire.

Based on the idea of the popular Minirazor Tachyon Cannon, we have explored the possibilities of decreasing the overall energy levels and performance of the weapon.

That is correct, instead of making it even bigger, better, greater we thought about making it smaller and less dangerous. At first, that may appear counter-intuitive, but in truth it isn't and here is why.

The minirazor, although a powerful weapon requires enormous amounts of energy to fire and consequently very long reload times making it, although one of the most dangerous, also one of the most energy-inefficient weapons in entire sirius.

Imagine if, although less powerful, the re-load times and energy requirements were much lower. You could fire the weapon more often and each shot would be much less demanding on your craft's energy reserves.

And thusly the idea of the Minirazor Mk II was born.

Like the minirazor it would be a focused, powerful tachyon burst but with much smaller energy levels and consequently much smaller energy requirements. The result would be faster refire rates and less energy requirements at the cost of decreased destructive power.

Although less powerful may at first seem counter intuitive, my crew and I are of the opinion that the project would be worth looking into and I decided to send a formal request to you for official support of the project and permission to begin research.

We have no actual data yet, but our calculations have allowed us to make an educated guess in regards of the result:

[Image: Cou_gun0102_proj.png]

Hull Damage: 11,800
Shield Damage: 6,900
Range: 900 m
Projectile Speed: 450 m/s
Refire Rate: 0.50
Energy Usage: 3,200

Please review the project and let me know what you think.

Valeria

//ooRP info: Based on the idea that the minirazor is the energy version of the sunslayer torpedo I couldn't help but wonder... why does the starkiller have no energy version? This is my attempt to create one and I fully expect the research to be stolen/copied at some point during or after the development incase the developers decide it should be a sirius wide weapon. If we can have it remain a corsair weapon that would be awesome but I left that for the Devs to decide. Big Grin

This could be reformed into the idea if it is viewed upon favorably. If not, no problem, but if so.. then I am proud to present some possible background rp for it connected to real rp happening on the server based upon the corsair background. Big Grin
Look guys. Here's how I see it. The Corsairs are getting directly: Centi to VHF, Neutrons speed up universally by +50m/s, Tizona speed up by +50m/s to let them keep the perfect sync, damage of all class 8 and 9 guns upgraded without increasing energy use. They are getting indirectly: new missiles to kill those pesky faster fighters. They already have: the ability to use flashpoints, despite the IMO totally nonsensical "problems" when it comes to mounting them (see 2nd paragraph of this post). It is my honest opinion that with all of these changes it is wise to see how things will turn out before we add more stuff. I'm not saying the book is closed on a possibility of adding in a third Corsair gun line. But when balance is concerned, adding in yet more stuff to worry about with all the tech sharing bollocks is a liability for me, so I'd rather wait and see if adding in a third gun line is absolutely necessary... or maybe not actually? The first beta is not the be all and end all of balance. If Corsair group fights are still suffering in the beta with all the new changes to fighter balance, then we'll add the third gun line (but it will not be a flashpoint copy and paste).

By the way, coming back to civvie gear on Corsair ships: I remember 2 or 3 years ago there was a huge outcry out of mostly the same Benitez people as today when Corsairs got banned from using civvie gear by rules. This was a stupid decision from the admins and rightly so was taken back, however the question remains: why did the Corsair players argue against it back then? If that restriction remained, then perhaps this whole extremely recent thing (think last year or so) of "Corsairs don't use civvie gear" wouldn't actually be mired in reactionary discussions based on what appears to be a whim and not much more.
If you would post a link we could all refresh our memories. Big Grin
Have you ever flown an Inferno Sabre in .86?
Like.. regularly?

Yes, that is a question to AD, Rodnas and Valeria.
Because from what i am seeing, you lot think Outcasts don't use Deb's in their sabres.

8|
Flashpoints for dayssss son!
Well, I can agree on that Sabre with Krakens is more noob friendly then Titan with Salas. It pardon you more mistakes since you have more time to react.
Also I can agree on that Titan is a good ship with Salas and Tizonas since it have own strengthes which you have to learn from costant practicing. Titan have a good armor and while one would say that the agility means more will be right I'd say in some situation when you'll learn to evade fire with Titan the "more armor" factor will play out for you. Also it have a good shape, good power core. Very good for boxing actually since you can use the shape of the ship + reverse to keep your opponent in scope for longer and use your mighty core to constantly rain a fire on the target.

Sabre is just easier to lean to fly with and that's why people complain that Titan is bad. But we fought Wraithes on it so I can say it's totally np.
(05-23-2013, 08:31 PM)Valeria_Benitez Wrote: [ -> ]If you would post a link we could all refresh our memories. Big Grin

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread...#pid503686

Here you go for example.
(05-23-2013, 08:52 PM)Blodo Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-23-2013, 08:31 PM)Valeria_Benitez Wrote: [ -> ]If you would post a link we could all refresh our memories. Big Grin

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread...#pid503686

Here you go for example.

Thank you.

Mm,...

Chico? Doesn't play any longer
Carlos? Doesn't play any longer

They haven't posted here either. Oh well, sometimes my memory plays tricks me as well. No worries. Big Grin

But it was interesting to see. Your link seems to have happened *right* after I joined.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8