Discovery Gaming Community
Slower fights - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Slower fights (/showthread.php?tid=106456)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Slower fights - Lythrilux - 10-27-2013

This is an opinion of someone who isn't good at PvP:
Snub fights should stay the way they are. Success and excellence shouldn't be given out freely, it has to be earned and worked for. What's the fun in a game if there's no challenge? The reason for why 'PvP Veterans' are regarded as 'elite' and labelled with terms such as 'elitism' is because they have earned their right to be the elite. Is it so wrong that those who have taken time to develop their skills are seen as bad guys in this argument?
Or do we want to turn this into a 'Casual Space Sim'?
I'm not going to say the PvP of Disco is noob friendly, but I feel making snub combat easier would just frustrate a lot of people more than it does now. For example, if snubs get slower, how will they dodge heavier fire? Snubs need to be fast so that they can avoid the dangers of heavy capital ship fire.
So yeah, as Tachyon said, you just need to practice and get better. I'm trying to.

RE: Slower fights - tothebonezone - 10-27-2013

G-forces in space are a little different than in/around/on a planet. And jets on Earth are capable of mindboggling maneuvers, but that's a whole different discussion that I know little about.

We're free-floating in space with little to no gravity affecting us, except maybe a generator within the ship which is ENTIRELY different than an outside force holding you down. So even if we are going at 200m/s (which is not even close to the speed of sound, easily broken by modern day jets), we're not going to be facing an outrageous 25Gs, or even CLOSE to that.

Fights should be MUCH faster if you ask me, but whatever.

I'm no elite pilot, I'm no pro. I used to be a bomberjockey but those days are long gone.

Just an average skilled players opinion.

RE: Slower fights - Veygaar - 10-27-2013

Hell no...

If you slow everything agility down, then the bigger the ship the better. It'll be one big pissing contest of who has the highest armor and the most firepower.

If I wanted to play a game where "Card A always beats B, C, and D. Card B always beats C and D. ect" I wouldn't be here. This isn't WoW where all that matters is your level (or in this case your ship class/stats).

This game is so amazing BECAUSE of it's skill factor. Skill decides your fate, you can train and train and become a legend, or work in numbers to counter those types of players.

Don't destroy the main reason this game is so fun.

RE: Slower fights - massdriver - 10-27-2013

(10-27-2013, 09:52 PM)Veygaar Wrote: Skill decides your fate

or an aimbot Big Grin

imho the problem is more general than just speeds, the overall look of the snub fight is determined by numerous factors and making clearly a single best one is impossible

RE: Slower fights - Tachyon - 10-27-2013

(10-27-2013, 10:01 PM)massdriver Wrote: or an aimbot Big Grin

Your aimbot/hitboxh4x won't help you, if you turn like a bathtub on rollerblades.

Corresponds to your post, also. I agree.

RE: Slower fights - massdriver - 10-27-2013

(10-27-2013, 10:07 PM)Tachyon Wrote:
(10-27-2013, 10:01 PM)massdriver Wrote: or an aimbot Big Grin

Your aimbot/hitboxh4x won't help you, if you turn like a bathtub on rollerblades.

Corresponds to your post, also. I agree.

indeed, but this is mostly due to railroad movement interpolation, which means that regular player wont hit the target at all, so the ololorush to base in a snub with full six is ok

RE: Slower fights - Murcielago - 10-27-2013

(10-27-2013, 09:42 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: This is an opinion of someone who isn't good at PvP:
Snub fights should stay the way they are. Success and excellence shouldn't be given out freely, it has to be earned and worked for. What's the fun in a game if there's no challenge? The reason for why 'PvP Veterans' are regarded as 'elite' and labelled with terms such as 'elitism' is because they have earned their right to be the elite. Is it so wrong that those who have taken time to develop their skills are seen as bad guys in this argument?
I'm not going to say the PvP of Disco is noob friendly, but I feel making snub combat easier would just frustrate a lot of people more than it does now. For example, if snubs get slower, how will they dodge heavier fire? Snubs need to be fast so that they can avoid the dangers of heavy capital ship fire.
So yeah, as Tachyon said, you just need to practice and get better. I'm trying to.

You said all that things correct...
I agree that you need practice to be good...and ofcourse time to practice...
..then you go and say this:
Snubs need to be fast so that they can avoid the dangers of heavy capital ship fire.

well look...snobs are not for killing capitals and GB...here is your thinking and the balance of this game wrong.
If you are in fighter you shoudn't be able to kill other ships than fighters and bombers

Ah and I think many players are not complaining about Elite skilled players.
If you are good at RP and fighting than kudos...

But "Elitism" is something else...like favoring your frends or your fraction(s), giving them what they wish-wont...or what they ask....this is Elitism

Also making funn of some players cose they don't know perfect English lenguage...it would be better to help them...not to make fun of them..like some players do here..

RE: Slower fights - Lythrilux - 10-27-2013

(10-27-2013, 10:16 PM)Murcielago Wrote:
(10-27-2013, 09:42 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: This is an opinion of someone who isn't good at PvP:

You said all that things correct...
I agree that you need practice to be good...and ofcourse time to practice...
..then you go and say this:
Snubs need to be fast so that they can avoid the dangers of heavy capital ship fire.
well look...snobs are not for killing capitals and GB...here is your thinking and the balance of this game wrong.
If you are in fighter you shoudn't be able to kill other ships than fighters and bombers

I never said fighters are meant for killing capital ships. I was implying they need to remain swift enough to avoid being easy target practice and sitting ducks for every capital ship out there. Getting blasted by four battleship cerbs isn't fun. Tachyon would know :}

RE: Slower fights - Veygaar - 10-27-2013

Anything can kill anything (almost) depending on the total difference in skill of two players. That's why Disco/FL is so awesome.

The ability to turn normal what is normally odds stacked against you (say 3 vs just you) into odds for you by working hard is rather unique and is what drew me to this game above all others.

RE: Slower fights - Scumbag - 10-27-2013

Making a fighter as agile as a bomber would not make it a sitting duck. It's not that much of a big deal. Don't turn it into a drama, i don't want to destroy the game. I just want us to discuss this idea. Should we slow down all the ships?