Discovery Gaming Community
Slower fights - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Slower fights (/showthread.php?tid=106456)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Slower fights - Yber - 10-28-2013

Quote:Of course you can be average with just knowing a few techniques, but then again, isn't that part of "skill" as well, to some small degree?!

Skill means ability. You're born with skill and you develop it further, a RL concept.

When you first play freelancer you do not have skill, only your attitude towards it in order to learn. PvP is mechanical and therefore works around static parameters. With dedication you can get to know what to do on every situation from all the posibilities, choosing the best one. That's all you do as a pilot; reacting to different scenarios, which implies your attitude towards knowing all the variants. Eg if the player A stands still, you can drop a mine on him. That's not skill, that's knowledge.

You may disagree, but that's the point, my freelancer's pvp concept is mine for something.
Quote:And a person mainly focused on pvp and therefore rarely losing in combat talking about how people shouldn't be upset when shot down goes beyond sarcasm for me...Whatever you might mean with that "counter" you mention though

As I said you do not need to focus in pvp when you play FL. I do because I enjoy it better, doesn't have to be your case. That being said:

I had to learn everything I know by now (and which I've shared on a certain guide) by dying -hundreds- of times against players who wouldn't even tell me the sliding's mechanic. Don't come to me crying about how bad you get owned when you're not ready to gut it up and learn as every player in, for example, XTF has. I doubt you've tried 1/100 as hard as I have to become better than I was (because two years ago I was worse than people who hadn't played the SP mode). Don't even bother pvping because you've no attitude, you've made no effort to improve other than complaining about the system and not trying to addapt.

You're like the 95% of this community: you want everything to fit you. "Fights are too long", aim better. "Snubs are too quick", react faster.

As you're part of this 95%, your only possibilities are either flying something else other than a snub or playing in groups of X + Y vs X so that numbers make you win, exploiting the mechanics developed by the devs, who try to make you happy by adding new features such as the new firestalker (counter).

tl;dr it's all about effort and how bad you try. People who have made a greater effort will own the crap out of you, and that's completely normal and right. That's attitude and not skill.

Indeed I'm excluding radical cases such as missing a hand; in such scenario I don't believe you can possibly win in pvp.

RE: Slower fights - Luke. - 10-28-2013

Could just save the Dev's you all put so much trust in, the effort.

Learn to use the snubs as they are and this problem is completely eradicated.

RE: Slower fights - Scumbag - 10-28-2013

ITT: Pro pvpers saying 95% of people don't want to win fights as much as they do.

Let's remember a certain fight in Coronado, Yber. You came with a sabre after 4 BHG fighters. We didn't engage, we went to Cortez. When you jumped after us we all started shooting you. After 15-20 minutes, when you ran out of bots/bats you left, played around Oceana for a while and cruised away cause we were out of CDs. We had SeaSerpents and Mantas.
Did we not want to win that fight? Weren't we outnumbering you? Didn't we use all we had at our disposal to kill you? Or was your sheer strength of will that which made you win?

I say the game needs a new balancing. Since it seems i stirred the wasps nest i doubt we will see any more argumented opinions here.

RE: Slower fights - SnakThree - 10-28-2013

It's not that the game needs balancing.

I doubt that it would be as easy to make everything balanced once again, as expressing one's opinion that it should be slower.

What I would propose is to add a bit more speed to snub guns, so that it would be easier to hit opponent, while allowing veterans to still use their skills in maneuvering and techniques as well as knowledge of equipment.
More chance to hit = shorter fights.

RE: Slower fights - Veygaar - 10-28-2013

(10-28-2013, 06:45 PM)Scumbag Wrote: ITT: Pro pvpers saying 95% of people don't want to win fights as much as they do.

Let's remember a certain fight in Coronado, Yber. You came with a sabre after 4 BHG fighters. We didn't engage, we went to Cortez. When you jumped after us we all started shooting you. After 15-20 minutes, when you ran out of bots/bats you left, played around Oceana for a while and cruised away cause we were out of CDs. We had SeaSerpents and Mantas.
Did we not want to win that fight? Weren't we outnumbering you? Didn't we use all we had at our disposal to kill you? Or was your sheer strength of will that which made you win?

I say the game needs a new balancing. Since it seems i stirred the wasps nest i doubt we will see any more argumented opinions here.

Working as intended. Work hard, die hard. Grab a Solaris Cruiser or Gunboat and he'd have ran off real fast if you really don't wana work on PvP.

This isn't a ship balance problem you're presenting here, it's a skill difference. And you're begging for it to be dumbed down so hard when you could be spending that time getting better at PvP...

RE: Slower fights - Lythrilux - 10-28-2013

(10-28-2013, 06:45 PM)Scumbag Wrote: ITT: Pro pvpers saying 95% of people don't want to win fights as much as they do.

That's more of a problem from PoBs. If not for Oceana's retarded mechanics (and PoBs in general) we probably would've had him, since we used superior strategy.

RE: Slower fights - Murcielago - 10-28-2013

(10-28-2013, 06:45 PM)Scumbag Wrote: I say the game needs a new balancing. Since it seems i stirred the wasps nest i doubt we will see any more argumented opinions here.

Indeed...
yes...
again yes...

RE: Slower fights - Murcielago - 10-28-2013

(10-28-2013, 06:18 AM)Veygaar Wrote: EDIT- meh that was mean.

Basically: Snubs are easily killed with other things atm anyways. Why make it easier? If you're not gifted or well trained in a fighter don't fly one to fight one? Fly something you can use to kill them easier? A cruiser or gunboat perhaps?

I don't agree whit that...
They should be easy to kill..they are not at the moment....
...also before update it was not easy to kill them whit other class of ships (oh I forgot bombers-didn't snobs complain they were OP before update?)...

...but now fighters are realy over powered...

I belive they are funboats whitout any real rolplay now...
OMG what is he saying???

I don't know if you are familiar whit the game called Chess...
OMG what is he saying here???

Well in my eyes fighters should be pawns-expendable-first to die

Wright now they are KINGS ...or last ships to survive...

yes yes I know you are skilled

RE: Slower fights - Scumbag - 10-28-2013

(10-28-2013, 07:08 PM)Veygaar Wrote: Working as intended. Work hard, die hard. Grab a Solaris Cruiser or Gunboat and he'd have ran off real fast if you really don't wana work on PvP.

This isn't a ship balance problem you're presenting here, it's a skill difference. And you're begging for it to be dumbed down so hard when you could be spending that time getting better at PvP...

OK

Sorry that i don't make a life goal out of training for PVP. I am at work right now btw, you know, real life.

RE: Slower fights - Croft - 10-28-2013

I'm uncertain why skill comes into this, surely if you're good when snub fighting is at this speed, shouldn't you also be good at a lower speed?

I still think that rebalancing combat around short burst, long cooldown thrusters would yield a far better combat system plus lowering projectile speeds and refire rate would be advantageous to server performance. Combat would be slower but fights would be much shorter and anything is better than two hours of shieldrunning.