Discovery Gaming Community
Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Cultural minorities in the Sirius (/showthread.php?tid=119450)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Ayatolah - 08-27-2014

(08-27-2014, 10:27 AM)Mímir Wrote: That seems impractical, Tel. They moved Europeans and South Africans to the Americas to board a sleeper ship? And why South Africa? Cuz' of white people?

Hispania isn't really self-evident either - was it Latin America or was it Spain? If Latin America, why Malta??? Or did they share a ship? And if so, why would they do that, on what basis? There's a big geographical gap when you consider the amount of people that would have needed to be moved. But then again, if you can fit 50,000 marines inside a tiny space station, I'm sure there'll be room for hundreds of thousands of people onboard an airplane Big Grin

Also you forgot India with its 1 billion population.

The hispania is meant to be spanish with some neighbouring countries (references to greece, italy an morocco (Casablanca is a moroccan city), not to mention a lot of historic references to Spain, such as the Roman influence, or just look at the gun's names.....

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - VinitS - 08-27-2014

Just to point out...All IMG ships have Indian Names...I mean all....light fighter to Battle Cruisers....So, there was Indian Group in Bretonian Ships..as Vanilla Lore suggest IMG is Loose federation of Miners from Bretonia later joined by others.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Psyentific - 08-27-2014

If you want to put in the effort to roleplay a Space Polack or something like that, who am I to let "m-muh realisms" get in the way of good, fun RP.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Pvt.Pirate - 08-27-2014

i am not against saying people from these 21stcenturynations are on board of the different ships, i just doubt that in 700AS belonging to such an "ancient lineage" matters at all. actually, even if any of my ancestors from 1200 would be from russia, i would still not consider myself russian, or if they were from india, consider myself indian and dig out the russian or indian culture of 1200 and live by it - because that is what your discussion aims at.
knowing your lineage is there doesnt make you go all nuts over it.
my example of 1200 is because i do medieval reenactment as a hobby and stil i haven't started learning the "Mittelniederdeutsch" language, which would've been spoken in my region at that time.
still if my grandfather came from russia or india, i might possibly have learnt a few sentences in russian and maybe my dad would've given me a russian name, but roleplaying anything beyond that would be a total exaggeration.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - /// Drake /// - 08-27-2014

^ Yep.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Fluffyball - 08-27-2014

(08-27-2014, 10:55 AM)Zen_Mechanics Wrote: Yeah, infact Im begining to feel sick just hearing about all these countries, I'm sure im not the only one here - but I think that this division between "us and them" simply doesn't belong in the 21sth. Even in fantasy, I think we should start to evolve and put these differences aside, I sometimes think that without dogmas and superstitions, that we would have considered ourselves as one. Freelancer in some sense divides us, because of these.. things - so I just don't tend to think about them Smile

After all debate, I must agree. Smile